Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

some buggies for Blaine today.

First an Opabinia and an Anomalocaris, from what appears to be Paleocasts. They were sold on eBay as part of a diorama, but I think the seller bought the figures from Paleocasts and then used them in his diorama (I didn't show the base in these pics and probably wont retain it).

Secondly a vintage resin twig with a couple lady beetles. Probably from an old piece of decor, bit it was neat and cheap on eBay.

I also received four more Shapeways figures, but will do pics (before and after painting) on the Shapeways thread after I paint them: 1) a tardigrade, 2) a trilobite, 3) a frog beetle (Sagra sp.), and a mayfly (Ephemeroptera) nymph!!! To my knowledge, the first figure of an ephemeropteran!!!!!!

sauroid

very cool Anomalocaris and Opabinia.

brontodocus

Congrats, Blaine! :) Lovely models, even though the Anomalocaris reconstruction is a bit outdated. On the other hand, outdated models are a great addition to a collection since they represent an earlier scientific consensus. I've just recently seen the tardigrade at shapeways, that one seems to be absolutely awesome! :) I guess I'll have to get back to ordering from shapeways, eventually.

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on June 04, 2015, 09:52:43 AM
Congrats, Blaine! :) Lovely models, even though the Anomalocaris reconstruction is a bit outdated. On the other hand, outdated models are a great addition to a collection since they represent an earlier scientific consensus. I've just recently seen the tardigrade at shapeways, that one seems to be absolutely awesome! :) I guess I'll have to get back to ordering from shapeways, eventually.

Most of the Paleocasts stuff is big so I am happy to get smaller versions of two different critters.

I posted this too soon--didn't see that the Sagra figure was broken; the two forelegs were broken and barely hanging on. The two middle legs were completely broken off and not in the package, which means they were packed up broken!!! Shapeways just did a refund. Last time they just replaced the order. I am not going to order again anytime soon so I may not ever replace the Sagra. Or I may just fix the forelegs and live with a (free) figure lacking mesothoracic legs LOL

sbell

I haven't been to Shapeways for a while either--looks like some people are doing some new and interesting things. Still have been able to summon up the courage for the articulated mantis shrimp though.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/5PT74LDTS/articulated-mantis-shrimp-o-scyllarus

The user actually has several jointed arthropods. Just saying.

Now make a polypterid!

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on June 04, 2015, 04:57:33 PM
I haven't been to Shapeways for a while either--looks like some people are doing some new and interesting things. Still have been able to summon up the courage for the articulated mantis shrimp though.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/5PT74LDTS/articulated-mantis-shrimp-o-scyllarus

Now make a polypterid!

the articulated ones are too expensive, and I don't really like articulated figures. I prefer them as solid and an immobile as possible :)

stargatedalek

I've been tempted by that shrimp for months now! I'd probably be satisfied by the AAA version if it ever came up for sale :P
Both of them and the Yujin shrimp are on my bucket list, someday...

sbell

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 04, 2015, 09:56:20 PM
I've been tempted by that shrimp for months now! I'd probably be satisfied by the AAA version if it ever came up for sale :P
Both of them and the Yujin shrimp are on my bucket list, someday...

I have the Yujin (and the Yowies). It's pretty great--but the sheer size of the AAA makes it ones of those someday-maybe figures! The Shapeways is only 6+ inches long, so it's not even a full size one!

bmathison1972

the Discovery channel Poisonous and Dangerous Animals came in today. Size-wise they are comparable to, for example, the Safari Venomous Creatures TOOB figures. They are also much better than the cheap ebay photo.

Here are the arthropods (I posed the black widow upside down); notice the bee has a defined stinger!:

For Sean, here is the piranha :) (notice the defined teeth!):

sbell

Those got there in a hurry! We'll have to figure how I'm getting my figures!

Interestingly, that is so not a red-bellied. Not sure what it's supposed to be.

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on June 04, 2015, 11:19:37 PM
Those got there in a hurry! We'll have to figure how I'm getting my figures!

Interestingly, that is so not a red-bellied. Not sure what it's supposed to be.

the lower fins are def redder than in the pic here

brontodocus

Congrats again, Blaine! :-)
Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 04, 2015, 04:55:18 PM
I posted this too soon--didn't see that the Sagra figure was broken; the two forelegs were broken and barely hanging on. The two middle legs were completely broken off and not in the package, which means they were packed up broken!!! Shapeways just did a refund. Last time they just replaced the order. I am not going to order again anytime soon so I may not ever replace the Sagra. Or I may just fix the forelegs and live with a (free) figure lacking mesothoracic legs LOL
Oh, sorry. :-\ I've seen the model at shapeways, looks great. I hope you find a way to make proper middle legs for it.
Quote from: sbell on June 04, 2015, 04:57:33 PM

Now make a polypterid!
Can't wait to see photos of the actual model! 8) Yes, they are expensive. But I must confess that I'm tempted to get the articulated scolopender.

Well, I got no new animal figure... but a new scale human figure for size comparisons with my animal toys. And now I can finally fill my 1:16 / 1:17 gap with...

Ay.  ;D

Jetoar

My last acquisitions  ^-^.

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

bmathison1972

got the 2015 Takara T.A.R.Ts. hercules beetle today; very nice, much better than I thought, and a good size! Slightly bigger than a typical gashapon but not too big.
Sorry no pic; didnt feel like going through the hoops right now of imaging another D. hercules ;-)

sauroid

cool new acquisitions everyone
my new ones:
the vintage first Schleich African elephant pair

AAA African elephant

Safari Ltd life size sally lightfoot crab

Re-ment cheetah

NBGI mexican red knee tarantula (that doesnt quite look like one)

NBGI skate

NBGI leaf turtles

Re-ment gorillas

NBGI snakes

NBGI black eagle

NBGI crocodilian

Schleich white tigress

Schleich tiger cub

Schleich ostriches

Schleich male chimp

Schleich Asian elephant

Schleich African elephant

Safari Ltd African wild hunting dog

Safari Ltd chinstrap penguin

Safari Ltd alligator

Nayab wild boar

Mojo Fun honey badger pair

bmathison1972

what is NGBI? Would love that neat, albeit kinda odd, tarantula.

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 12, 2015, 03:18:58 PM
what is NGBI? Would love that neat, albeit kinda odd, tarantula.

They are also known as Animal Kaiser--it's a card/toy collector game in, of course, Japan. Some of their models are very good (I have a couple, with a big lot coming) and some of them are...more sci fi? There's a hyena that I won't bother with, because it has sunglasses on, for example. I don't need hyena-Poochie.

But they do make some good fish (I have a piranha!) and reptiles--I have a lot coming from Brett at some point, but I don't think I have much for inverts on it. I'll see after I strip it of the interesting-to-me ones!

The best part is that, if you find the cards, they name the animals right down to species, so no guessing. So the skate isn't just a skate (I have it)--it's Raja velezi, the Velez skate.

bmathison1972

yes after an internet search I realized they were Kaiser :)

OkapiBoy

Beautiful CollectA ungulates is the word of the day! ;D
I'm really loving the Chiru and Woodland Caribou figures, both from their 2015 line, as well as the follow deer from last year. Walkabout for both the Chiru and caribou on the CollectA thread.
[]

bmathison1972

recently went ahead and got these vintage toy insects. I was hesitant at first, but glad I did. The 'flying' earwig and long-horned grasshopper are esp. nice. There are several of these on eBay that for some reason are all missing the moths(?).
Anyone else think the 'dragonfly' looks more like an adult antlion? :)
I will probably use the same satin primer I use for the Shapeways figures on these, to keep what paint they still have!