News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Woodland Caribou ( CollectA Wildlife)

Started by OkapiBoy, June 14, 2015, 06:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkapiBoy

Here we go, the 2015 CollectA Woodland Caribou figure! It's really a  beautifully sculpted figure, very rich in details and textures. I would say this is the best figure of a caribou I have ever seen, better than Papo or Safari, IMHO.
Interesting to note that they even modeled the antlers so that one is not as formed ( smaller point) than the other, a nice touch, instead of both antler perfectly the same.

With last year's ( ?) equally beautiful Fallow Deer

brontodocus

Lovely sculpt, texture, pose, antlers, this figure has it all! :)

Jetoar

One of the best figures of this species  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

FlaffyRaptors

How does the Safari ltd 2017 Caribou compare to CollectA's version?

CollectA has the superior paint no doubt, but Safari's msuculature and anatomy is more defined than CollectA's.

bmathison1972

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on October 25, 2022, 05:58:21 PMHow does the Safari ltd 2017 Caribou compare to CollectA's version?

CollectA has the superior paint no doubt, but Safari's msuculature and anatomy is more defined than CollectA's.

That's an interesting question, but one must also consider they represent different 'subspecies' of caribou (although the taxonomy is challenging and features defining them often fluid). The CollectA was specifically designed after the Woodland variety, but this Safari figure could represent something else...

Gwangi

It's a nice caribou, and I do agree that the musculature and anatomy looks more well defined than CollectA's. I do wish we knew what sub-species it was.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on October 25, 2022, 08:13:28 PMIt's a nice caribou, and I do agree that the musculature and anatomy looks more well defined than CollectA's. I do wish we knew what sub-species it was.

if we can narrow down a viable subspecies I might get it. Was it a @doug watson sculpt? If so, he may know  ;D

bmathison1972

...maybe a Peary caribou?

EDIT: Safari's website is calling it a woodland caribou at the subspecies level, but maybe this is a generic declaration?

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 25, 2022, 09:55:33 PM...maybe a Peary caribou?

EDIT: Safari's website is calling it a woodland caribou at the subspecies level, but maybe this is a generic declaration?

That's good enough for me.

Now the question becomes, what sub-species is the Safari reindeer. They call it a reindeer but it is part of the North American Wildlife collection. I've been contemplating getting it even though I have the CollectA caribou.

bmathison1972

I also thought about that one as a 'domestic' variety; but again, what subspecies?

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 25, 2022, 11:31:28 PMI also thought about that one as a 'domestic' variety; but again, what subspecies?

Well if it's a "domestic" reindeer then it would at least have to be a Eurasian subspecies, which makes it an odd addition to the North American Wildlife line.

I remember we talked about this last year too and I think it looks most like the Svalbard reindeer. This definitely would be a fun figure to review for December. I might do it.

bmathison1972

Yes I considered the Europe vs. NA issue. Good point, thanks for clarifying! Svalbard looks good, but it's endemic to Norway, which also wouldn't make much sense for the NAW line (but would be great for a Xmas post  ;D )