News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

(Insects)Toy cicadas, leafhopper's or fulgorids?

Started by Hercules beetle, October 17, 2014, 05:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hercules beetle

I want to find some and know what ones you have. I have a small brown cicada, but i dont have any sources to post photos from.

bmathison1972

Cicadas are commonly made. I have several from the Japanese/gashapon makers including Kaiyodo (ChocoQ Animatales; Natural Monuments of Japan; etc), Furuta (Insect Science), Yujin made a couple in their Insects of Japan series, Bandai did a life cycle, and Rement. I also have an Australian species from the Cadbury-Yowies line.
Also, cicadas are common in 'bin-style' figures (like the kind you get from drug and dollar stores).

fulgoroids and treehoppers are scarcer but the PlayVisions insect set had both (I don't have either unfortunately).

Hercules beetle

Thanks for the info.
I have always been obsessed with lantern bugs, i dont know why, but i just have.

brontodocus

I have the PV fulgoroid:

It's most likely representing Pyrops intricata. I never measured it but the length should be around 50 or 60 mm, so it's more or less life size. :) I believe I have the membracid treehopper somewhere, too, but never photographed it (and I don't know where it is... :-[ ).

Edit 2017-01-21: Updated image urls.

Hercules beetle

Quote from: brontodocus on October 17, 2014, 09:07:22 PM
I have the PV fulgoroid:

It's most likely representing Pyrops intricata. I never measured it but the length should be around 50 or 60 mm, so it's more or less life size. :) I believe I have the membracid treehopper somewhere, too, but never photographed it (and I don't know where it is... :-[ ).
I dont want that... I NEED THAT!

stargatedalek

there were some play visions cicadas made, I have them and they are very nice
they also made some fireflies (I assume thats what you mean by lantern bug)

if I can find them I'll try and get a pic

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 17, 2014, 10:18:36 PM
there were some play visions cicadas made, I have them and they are very nice
they also made some fireflies (I assume thats what you mean by lantern bug)

if I can find them I'll try and get a pic

'lantern bugs' are a group of fulgoroid planthoppers (very much like the PlayVisions one Andre posted above)

stargatedalek

widukind

Quote from: Hercules beetle on October 17, 2014, 09:16:43 PM
I have the PV fulgoroid:

I dont want that... I NEED THAT!
I will pm you :)

BlueKrono

I was wondering if a Fulgora laternaria had ever been made. This is my favorite insect, and I did my final project on it in my college entomology class. I wish the picture Brontodocus apparently posted was still visible, as I'd also be interested in leafhoppers and other close relatives. A Google search for the PV figure turns up squat.
I like turtles.

bmathison1972

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 17, 2017, 04:47:57 AM
I was wondering if a Fulgora laternaria had ever been made. This is my favorite insect, and I did my final project on it in my college entomology class. I wish the picture Brontodocus apparently posted was still visible, as I'd also be interested in leafhoppers and other close relatives. A Google search for the PV figure turns up squat.

Interestingly I have the PV fulgorid en route to me now. I plan on doing one of my detailed reviews of the entire set when it arrives. I actually have the text written already lol just need to snap pics when i get the figures.

BlueKrono

Wonderful. Eagerly awaiting that. Do you think your source would have another one of that figure?
I like turtles.

brontodocus

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 17, 2017, 04:47:57 AM
Thanks for the heads up, the photos should be visible again! :)

BlueKrono

I have the PV fulgoroid:

Edit 2017-01-21: Updated image urls.

Awesome! One of the Asian species... I've seen a lot of cool insects on this site, but now I have a new #1 most wanted. It's pretty weird no one's made the Alligator Bug yet. I have a real one though. I nicknamed him "The Most Delicate Thing I Own" although he's in contention for that title with my freeze-dried Cecropia caterpillar and my paper thin dried Draco lizards.
I like turtles.