News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Hyena (Safari Ltd - Wild Safari Wildlife)

Started by AnimalToyForum, December 27, 2012, 12:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimalToyForum

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sbell

Quote from: Jetoar on December 27, 2012, 01:59:17 PM
He is better than Papo spotted hyena  ^-^.

It's probably the best one out there of any of them. The MojoFun is pretty good too.  And the new Schleich one (with the gladiator) is well-done as well (if a little monsterfied).

postsaurischian

Jetoar

Quote from: sbell on December 27, 2012, 03:11:27 PM

It's probably the best one out there of any of them. The MojoFun is pretty good too.  And the new Schleich one (with the gladiator) is well-done as well (if a little monsterfied).

Schleich have a old hyena that he was very nice, but safari version is better.

brontodocus

It's the only hyena figure I have so far. :-\ But it's good to see that you confirm what I thought - that it's probably the best one to get. :) I've seen the Papo hyena often in a toy store and never got it, it's not bad but the texture and paint quality don't seem to match Papo's usual high standards when it comes to their wildlife figures.

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on December 27, 2012, 07:48:23 PM
It's the only hyena figure I have so far. :-\ But it's good to see that you confirm what I thought - that it's probably the best one to get. :) I've seen the Papo hyena often in a toy store and never got it, it's not bad but the texture and paint quality don't seem to match Papo's usual high standards when it comes to their wildlife figures.

Yeah, the Papo is pretty cartoonish, actually.

Quote from: Jetoar on December 27, 2012, 07:25:16 PM

Schleich have a old hyena that he was very nice, but safari version is better.

I have both paint versions, and they are pretty poor by current figure comparison. Like I said, the new Schleich hyena with the gladiator is pretty good (even if it has a spiked collar).

Jetoar

critter

I love the old Schleich Hyena; I think it's my favorite even though it's clearly not the best replica. I have some strange irrational attachment to it. The Gladiator Hyena is great; or would be if it didn't have that terrible collar. I'm hoping to buy one and sculpt it in order to remove the collar.

The Safari Hyena is fantastic. My biggest gripe about it is the mouth. I really wish they had taken the time to hollow out the mouth.

I still think that the ideal Hyena model has yet to arrive. I'm hoping that CollectA creates a fantastic spotted hyena to complement their striped hyena.

CM

Quote from: critter on December 30, 2012, 10:54:55 PM
I still think that the ideal Hyena model has yet to arrive. I'm hoping that CollectA creates a fantastic spotted hyena to complement their striped hyena.

This is precisely where I sit.  I don't love any of the existing spotted hyenas, but CollectA's striped one is quite nice and I'm sure they could do a good spotted one now.  Wouldn't mind a brown and an aardwolf either.

Takama

This figure looks good. Though im not a fan of the solid mouth