News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Tall blondes, tall brunettes: Okapi and Giraffes

Started by OkapiBoy, December 21, 2012, 07:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkapiBoy

Tall Brunettes: The Okapi (Okapia johnstoni)
As my forum name imply, I have a soft spot for okapis .Okapis are the closes living relative of the giraffes and they share some common features.  The Okapi and Giraffe are the only living species of the family Giraffidae.
Unlike the giraffe’s more outlandish color patter, the okapi’s is more conservative with its reddish brown body, and white and black leg stripes and whitish face. This helps the animal blends in to its rainforest habitat in Central Africa (Congo).
Okapis are large animals, but nothing close to its cousin the giraffe. They are popular animals in zoos around the world, and recently as toy figures. Almost all the major toy companies have okapi in their line (except for Mojo, which is only a matter of time before they make one).

Here we go:
Large Safari figure from the nature wonder series
[

CollectA's beautiful mom and calf

Schelich

Safari's - it's  the weakest of the group

Wild Republic figures (part of the bag set)

2012 Bullyland mom and calf- really beautiful figures!This picture does not capture the figures beauty, need to take a new one.

And here is my herd, I can't find the Papo right now, so he will have to join the herd later.
The cool thing is the majority of these figures are so well made, that they actually go well with each other.

The two mothers with their calf

Tall Blondes: The Giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis)
The okapi’s taller and more famous cousin, it hold the record of being the tallest land animal alive today. No toy line is complete without a giraffe, and it joins the lion, tiger, zebra, hippo, and elephant as the staple species.
Unlike its cousin the okapi, giraffes are typically grassland dwellers and form herds. There are nine (?) subspecies of giraffes recognized, all distinguished by their coat patterns. Like the okapi, giraffes are strictly African animals.
The giraffe is famous for its extremely long neck, which account for most of its height. Both sexes have ossicones, that horn-like structures in their head (okapi have them, too).

Sorry, I don't have much giraffe figures, and the ones I do have I need to unpack! So, right now only one photo from me, you guys add some ;)

Jetoar

Very cool. Okapis of differents brands have the same scale. We can use for to dioramas  ^-^. Thanks for share.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Ah, that thread suits you well, OkapiBoy! ;D

Yes, the first one is the amazing Wildlife Wonders figure. I just have two Okapi figures so far, that one and the Papo.

The Papo Okapi is about the same scale as the big Safari Ltd. Wildlife Wonders Reticulated Giraffe, Giraffa camelopardalis reticulata de Winton, 1899. Measurements of the Okapi: Snout-vent length 115 mm, shoulder height 77 mm, scale approx. 1:17 - 1:23. Giraffe: Height 232 mm (would be approx. 250 mm if fully erect), scale approx. 1:17 - 1:21 (or 1:24 for world record specimen). Human figure (from Pola "Herr Eilig - Mr. Speedy") is approx. 1:22.5 scale.

Giraffe by AAA. Height 240 mm, scale approx. 1:17 - 1:24. Human figure (minimen Andreas Köpke) is 1:20 scale. It is a great figure, the only downside is the original paint job - but repaints like we have seen here can be very impressive and put the original paint job to shame!

Left photo: Giraffa camelopardalis giraffa (Boddaert, 1785), Southern Giraffe by Noah's Pals "Garth" (male, height 218 mm) and "Grace" (female, height 182 mm), scale approx. 1:23 - 1:27. Right photo: Giraffa camelopardalis reticulata, Reticulated Giraffe by Safari Ltd. Vanishing Wild, height 333 mm, scale approx. 1:14 - 1:16. I received this figure for free due to a missing tail tip which was later replaced by putty so the tail is not the original anymore.

Jetoar

From my point of view the best is WW reticulated giraffe. It is wonderful and it have a nice colors ^-^.

OkapiBoy

Quote from: Jetoar on December 21, 2012, 09:09:45 AM
Very cool. Okapis of differents brands have the same scale. We can use for to dioramas  ^-^. Thanks for share.

Yeah, works well especially the CollectA, Bully, and Schelich figures.

OkapiBoy

Yes, pictures of tall blondes! Thanks for posting pictures, great giraffe figures you got there.  :)

Varanus

Okapis are one of my favorite mammals too, it's nice to see so many in figure form.

brontodocus

The Vanishing Wild Giraffe is an impressingly huge figure and a beautiful sculpt, indeed. I'm not overly happy with the colour but of course I still could repaint it. Never painted a giraffe, though, so I'm a bit hesitant about it but I've already considered doing so.
Oh, and there are even more Okapi figures by Japanese companies (giraffes, too), Colorata and one by Kaiyodo. Sadly, I have none of them, so if somebody else does, it would be great to see them here, too! :)

AnimalToyForum

Wonderful overview of the okapi, Bokapi.  8) Brilliant photographs as always  :)

Ana

Some of m giraffes and okapis stayed in my parents'house and I can't take photos of them now. But some I have with me and they are CollectA, Bullyland, New Ray giraffes and Papo okapi :)

And here are some others from my older display. You can see one of my favorite okapi figures: Colorata one :)

postsaurischian

I always wanted the Colorata Okapi, but not the rest of the set - so I was too penny-pinching.
Maybe I have hesitated for too long, because now the set is discontinued :'(.

sbell

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 23, 2012, 08:14:00 PM
I always wanted the Colorata Okapi, but not the rest of the set - so I was too penny-pinching.
Maybe I have hesitated for too long, because now the set is discontinued :'(.

I had to fight a bit for the Colorata Okapi, but it was worth it:

It was part of a special set that they made for a zoo, way back in their beginning. The set was discontinued at least 5 years ago, probably longer.

The only other one I have is the Aye-Aye!

Even better, weird one!

And while we're on the small figures:

Play Visions African ungulates Okapi and Giraffe, and Serengeti giraffe:

K&M Congo toob okapi:

K&M Mini giraffe:

Schleich mini giraffe:

And to go in the other direction in terms of size, a big resin okapi:

tyrantqueen

Nice giraffe collections here, they're all very elegant :)

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

brontodocus

The Colorata Okapi is very nice! :) I have only two figures from that set, too, the Aye-Aye and the Pygmy Hippopotamus. :'(

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on December 23, 2012, 11:10:26 PM
The Colorata Okapi is very nice! :) I have only two figures from that set, too, the Aye-Aye and the Pygmy Hippopotamus. :'(

The pygmy hippo was the third one I wanted from that set, but it never worked out ($$$$).

brontodocus

Urgh, yes, I paid something like $15 for mine (but the Aye-Aye was about the same)... :'(

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on December 23, 2012, 11:50:56 PM
Urgh, yes, I paid something like $15 for mine (but the Aye-Aye was about the same)... :'(

That's about what I paid for my two--but I never had the chance at that value with a pygmy hippo (at least I have the UK Yowie one, I guess).

sbell

A late double post, but, do any of our German friends have this one:

Playmobil Okapi set!

German only right now (use translate with Chrome; if you don't use Chrome, start using it) but maybe it will come to North America this year?

brontodocus

It must be a very new set, I wasn't aware of it until now. :o Playmobil often releases new sets shortly before Christmas, somewhere around October/November. A few weeks ago I browsed the Playmobil shelves of a big store but I haven't seen it there. The gorilla has shown up in several other sets but I've never seen Playmobil okapis before.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, did you see that the Playmobil hyenas are sold separately now? ;)

Jetoar

OMG Okapis of Playmobil..... I dont believe it  ^-^.