News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Creatures that give you the heebie jeebies

Started by AnimalToyForum, December 08, 2012, 01:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimalToyForum

Is there any particular animal that you find personally disagreeable? Spiders? Snakes? Bats? Rats? They are the usual suspects. For me, just thinking about the Surinam toad makes my skin crawl. The Surinam toad's skin, of course, crawls literally, when its babies emerge from their little pockets. Fascinating, but urg!

Seijun

June bugs and cicadas. No other animal petrifies me with fear except for those two. I would rather have a bee or a wasp land on me than even be in the same room as a loose June bug or cicada..

Jetoar

Quote from: animaltoyforum on December 08, 2012, 01:23:35 AM
Is there any particular animal that you find personally disagreeable? Spiders? Snakes? Bats? Rats? They are the usual suspects. For me, just thinking about the Surinam toad makes my skin crawl. The Surinam toad's skin, or course, crawls literally, when its babies emerge from their little pockets. Fascinating, but urg!

I think the same. Hi is a stranege and rare animal but from my point of view he is very unpleasant, He has body like as a corpsed carcass :D.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Admittedly, Pipa pipa is not really among the most beautiful anurans. Really june bugs? :o The only nasty thing about cicadas (at least those of warm countries) I can think of is their call that can give you a headache. I was collecting dragonflies in the Kaokoveld, Namibia, in 1996 and the cicadas nearby were so loud I found it hard to concentrate. :-\

Well, I'm not supposed to dislike any animal species. But I think triatomine kissing bugs (those neotropical ones that are vectors of the Chagas disease). Our department has a parasitology study group that focuses on them (as far as I know they are rearing all species that are known as Chagas vectors, they are fed on chicken) and they are colourful but incredibly big for haematophagous insects.

In fact the world's largest haematophagous insect is among them, Dipetalogaster maxima:

The photo shows a nymph with a swollen abdomen from its meal. Adults grow to over 40 mm and drink several ml of blood at once! :o

tyrantqueen

I'm scared of spiders :-[ I can't explain it, but the all those hairy legs and beady little eyes creep me out. I don't mind them when they're outside, but I get upset when they are in my bedroom or trapped in the bath. I am afraid that they'll crawl over me or touch me.

Other animals that freak me out are the Blobfish

Female Angler Fish

I feel sorry for the male Angler fish though http://theoatmeal.com/comics/angler

Also, the eyes on a flounder fish creep me out too, I don't know why.

And of course, I don't like it when bees or wasps are near me. Even though I've never been stung in my life.

.....Geez, creepy crawlies get a bad rap, don't they?

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

brontodocus

It depends... actually the deep-sea anglerfish species have quite a few fans. Actually I like them so much that I had to buy Theodore W. Pietsch's ceratioid bible "Oceanic Anglerfishes". ^-^ And also so much that this all reminds me of opening a thread for deep-sea fish figures. Hmm, I think it's probably the best idea to make one thread for all deep-sea fish even though they are representing different, oly distantly related higher taxa?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: brontodocus on December 08, 2012, 12:47:54 PM
It depends... actually the deep-sea anglerfish species have quite a few fans. Actually I like them so much that I had to buy Theodore W. Pietsch's ceratioid bible "Oceanic Anglerfishes". ^-^ And also so much that this all reminds me of opening a thread for deep-sea fish figures. Hmm, I think it's probably the best idea to make one thread for all deep-sea fish even though they are representing different, oly distantly related higher taxa?
I find the Anglerfish's appearance very frightening and nightmare-ish (the way they reproduce seems like something out of the Alien films), but I have nothing against the species itself (or any species of animal that most people consider to be "ugly") I think they're just as worthy of admiration as any "beautiful" animal.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;) Just sayin' XD

They still scare me though :-[

brontodocus

At least most of the deep-sea anglerfishes are really, really tiny (mostly less than 100 mm). Cryptopsaras, Ceratias, and Himantolophus get bigger, though. Too bad that so few specimens could be examined alive (deep-sea samples are mostly damaged and these ceratioids are especially delicate). :-\

Himmapaan

Oh, yes. I'm afraid the Surinam toad gives me the heebie-jeebies alright. It triggers off my trypophobia in an instant.

AnimalToyForum

:o. I will never again conduct an image search for the keyword "trypophobia".

tyrantqueen

Quote from: animaltoyforum on December 08, 2012, 07:04:16 PM
:o. I will never again conduct an image search for the keyword "trypophobia".
Same here....*shudders*

Gwangi

My wife is also grossed out by the Surinam toad but I just find it fascinating. There aren't really many animals that gross me out. I mean there are some out there that I wouldn't want to come in direct contact with but with those it has more to do with being bitten, stung or poisoned than it does getting the heebie jeebies. I saw a snail once infected with Leucochloridium and that freaked me out, I would say parasites in general are the ones that "get under my skin" the most.  ^-^

Takama

Quote from: Jetoar on December 08, 2012, 08:35:42 AM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on December 08, 2012, 01:23:35 AM
Is there any particular animal that you find personally disagreeable? Spiders? Snakes? Bats? Rats? They are the usual suspects. For me, just thinking about the Surinam toad makes my skin crawl. The Surinam toad's skin, or course, crawls literally, when its babies emerge from their little pockets. Fascinating, but urg!

This toad makes my owner think of terrible skin conditions.  "Imagine this on your own back" he says

AnimalToyForum

Worst is when the surinam toad babies start to emerge. There are videos on youtube I think.

I need to install the 'yuk' smiley!

Takama

Im a dog, so most things dont scare me , And my owner is the same way, but he told me to post these to freak someone out

Terriswalkeris Terraereginae

Deep sea Pill bug

Turantula Hawk

Very Rare Squid (this is the only specimen found)

Aye Aye baby

Also, Is it ok if we have plants on here Too?  Because there is this

Bleeding Tooth Fungus

Varanus

Cockroaches and mosquitoes!!! :o  I don't run away screaming upon seeing them or anything, but they're certainly not my favorites.

Jetoar

My flat mate hate the big centipedes and other "creepie crawlers"  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Takama

tyrantqueen

That fish looks like a croagunk with its cheeks inflated

AnimalToyForum

What's a croagunk? Is it from one of these newfangled computer games?