News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Newt's noodles

Started by Newt, April 11, 2014, 08:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugsnapz

Hi Newt,

You have taken some fantastic pictures, I am well impressed especially the birds and Carpenter bee in flight cos that is hard to do at the best of times.

Keep up the good work.

Bugsnapz.

Newt

Thank you very much! That means a lot to me coming from such an accomplished photographer.

I must admit I got a lucky break on that bee. He was hovering in place, totally unconcerned by my presence, about a foot from a female of the same species who was hanging out in the grass. I guess he was trying to guard her from other males. Anyway, I was able to get a ton of photos of him from the minimum focal distance of my lens.

A.Garcia

Newt, I had not seen these paintings, I love them! They capture the colors well- I never fail to be amazed by the colors on barn swallows and bobolinks when I see them. My favorites may be the tortoise and swallow, I also like the fur on the bat and squirrel. The amphibians are also nice.

This makes me want to do some artwork. I'm afraid my reference photos have wildly outpaced my art-making. Hopefully I'll have something to share in the future.

Newt

Thank you, A.Garcia! I look forward to seeing your works. I need to get cracking on some more of my own.

bugsnapz

Hi Newt,
Loving your pictures again, well done. I live in England and we have dragonflies but not the same colourfull ones you have there. I love the saddlebach caterpillar too. Our common darters are either reddish or brown.
It is close to winter so I will be looking at fungi photographs instead of insects for the next couple of months.

Bugsnapz.

Newt

Thank you again, Bugsnapz! Sorry for the very late reply. I'll try to make it up to you with more bugs!

Here are some recent photos from beautiful Tennessee:

Bessbug

stag beetle larva

flathead mayflies, caddisflies, etc.

Red Paper Wasps

Eastern Tailed Blues

Xystodesmid millipede

brontodocus

Wonderful! :) It's a pity we don't have passalids here.

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Newt

Thanks guys!

Passalids are fun! We have only one species of bessbug here, but it's one of our most abundant large beetles.

They're perfect "insect ambassadors." The adults look a little intimidating but are so slow-moving, inoffensive, and comical they soon win people over, and the fact that they show parental care makes them very appealing to a lot of people.

Here are some fish from a recent night-time walk along a small stream that feeds into the lower Tennessee River.

Banded Sculpin

Fantail Darter

Logperch

Rainbow Darter

Pirate Perch

Male (Golden?) Redhorse

Female of same

Largescale Stonerollers

Newt

Fowler's Toad

Cope's Gray Treefrog

Bombardier Beetles swarming a scrap of hot dog

spawning gar -  think they're Spotted Gar, but I didn't get a good enough look/photo to rule out Shortnose

brontodocus

Excellent photos, Newt! :) It's been a while since I've seen any bombardier beetles in the wild, they are fairly uncommon here. Oddly, they look almost identical in Germany. I assume those are Brachinus, too?

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on May 05, 2015, 09:49:15 AM
Excellent photos, Newt! :) It's been a while since I've seen any bombardier beetles in the wild, they are fairly uncommon here. Oddly, they look almost identical in Germany. I assume those are Brachinus, too?

they look identical EVERYWHERE....lol

Newt

Brontodocus - Thanks! Yes, all US bombardiers are Brachinus, subgenus Neobrachinus. I have no idea which species these are. There were lots of them on this stretch of reservoir shore, along a narrow beach of coarse sand and abundant pleurocerid shells with a few pieces of driftwood. I didn't see any nearby on stretches of shore with muddy substrate or areas covered in driftwood.

Jetoar

Gars are one of my favorite fresh water fish  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Newt

Mine too! I'm lucky enough to live in an area with three gar species - shortnose, spotted, and longnose gar. There are also alligator gar not too far west of me.

Newt

Here's a maquette I made of the Cretaceous marine turtle Toxochelys weeksi.

stemturtle

A Cretaceous marine turtle from Tennessee! Thanks for sharing your talented sculpting, Newt.  :)

Newt

Thanks, Stemturtle, I was hoping you'd see this one! This is just a crude maquette to be used as a model for a painting, but I may make a more refined version later.

Here's a little southern two-lined salamander (Eurycea cirrigera) I met recently:

brontodocus

Excellent Toxochelys sculpt, Newt! 8)

Newt

Thank you, Brontodocus! By the way, have you noticed your ears burning:D