News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Hello fellow collectors and enthusiasts!

Started by KaraWildsong42, April 07, 2014, 03:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KaraWildsong42

Hello fellow collectors and enthusiasts! I can't begin to express how excited I am that there are other people out there that are just as bewitched by animal figures as I am! Being 26, I quite often hear from family and friends that I'm way too old to be collecting plastic toys. It's a relief to know I'm not the only one!

I've been hooked pretty much from birth. I was born in '87 and Funrise came out with their realistic (for their time at least) figures in '88. I have about 32 surviving figures of this line, and am a little surprised to find so little record of them on the internet. Although I can't pretend to be some scholar on this topic; I only found out there were more than three extant companies producing plastic animal figures about a week ago....

At a fairly young age I drew a line between realistic looking figures and the cutesy, cartoon-looking toys. I don't recall playing with any toys more than my plastic animals. I remember my Barbies collected dust because of these things. Haha! I remember standing in Toys R Us begging my parents for more Puppy In My Pocket toys too. Totally within a calm, quiet vocal range too, I'm sure....

When I was still a kid, my parents were very supportive. Any time we went to the zoo or the Children's Museum, they'd buy me a figure or two; these were always Schleich or Safari Ltd. The Children's Museum used to have a big fake cave in one of their exhibits which they kept well-stocked with dinosaur toys (of course ones they sold in the gift store downstairs; they had to get us kids chomping at the bit for the merchandise early you know!).

As I grow older, less people understand, but I remember those other times more. I thinks it's that understanding that I'm so excited to find here. I can't wait to get to know you all more and learn more about you and your love for your collections! My brief lurking phase on here has opened a door into a community I didn't know was so huge and active, and I'm SO ready to jump in!

Much love to all!
~Kara
'O bliss of the collector, bliss of the man of leisure!  [...] – and I mean a real collector, a collector as he ought to be – ownership is the most intimate relationship that one can have to objects. Not that they come alive in him; it is he who lives in them.' - Walter Benjamin

AnimalToyForum

mermaidgrey

Welcome! :D
I'm so excited to hear you like puppy in my pocket. I too was a huge lover of those when I was little, and still am now :) I really like the new style ones too, which I also collect.
I hear you when you say some people don't understand. There's always going to be the occasional comment that you're too old for these things (I am 23). I also collect dolls, so there's that too :) I too joined the forum to find some like minded people, because it's always nice to find people with whom you can enthuse over your interests.

KaraWildsong42

@animaltoyforum: Thank you!  :)

@mermaidgrey: Thank you for the welcome! Hehe, glad to meet another fan of the In My Pocket line!  ;D Do you collect only the puppies, or do you like the other animals too? I had a few cats back in the day but lost all of them. I've noticed the new line has all sorts of creatures! The new flocked figurines are cute, but I haven't bought any yet. I think I'm too stubborn to get over my own bias of the originals, lol!
'O bliss of the collector, bliss of the man of leisure!  [...] – and I mean a real collector, a collector as he ought to be – ownership is the most intimate relationship that one can have to objects. Not that they come alive in him; it is he who lives in them.' - Walter Benjamin

mermaidgrey

I collect all the animals :) I know I have a large collection of the old style (mostly puppies but also some kitties, ponies and animal hospital) but due to several house moves and a large amount of childhood possessions being scattered all over the place, I have so far only found 4 of my originals! I am searching still though :) I'd love to see some of your collection, if you can find any of them.

I only began to collect the new flocked creatures recently. I felt that I didn't want to collect any more of the old style, at least until I found my originals, because I didn't know exactly all the ones I had. The new style are very different, so really it's like collecting a different make entirely :) I did a post over in collections showing my new ones so far, if you want to see :) Yes, there is a huge variety of different animals. I think I actually prefer the more "interesting" animals to the puppies in the new lines, as there are just so many unusual creatures.
Unfortunately they are no longer making them at the moment. I emailed them the other day and they told me they are "on hiatus."

KaraWildsong42

Quote from: mermaidgrey on April 08, 2014, 04:09:12 PM
I collect all the animals :) I know I have a large collection of the old style (mostly puppies but also some kitties, ponies and animal hospital) but due to several house moves and a large amount of childhood possessions being scattered all over the place, I have so far only found 4 of my originals! I am searching still though :) I'd love to see some of your collection, if you can find any of them.

I only began to collect the new flocked creatures recently. I felt that I didn't want to collect any more of the old style, at least until I found my originals, because I didn't know exactly all the ones I had. The new style are very different, so really it's like collecting a different make entirely :) I did a post over in collections showing my new ones so far, if you want to see :) Yes, there is a huge variety of different animals. I think I actually prefer the more "interesting" animals to the puppies in the new lines, as there are just so many unusual creatures.
Unfortunately they are no longer making them at the moment. I emailed them the other day and they told me they are "on hiatus."

Oh wow, I didn't even know they'd stopped producing the new ones! I have a very tiny pack of the puppies still lingering. The rest are long gone, lost in old sandboxes, lawn mowers, and moves. I'm waiting for it to stop raining round here to finally take some photos to post. Tomorrow is 'supposed' to be nice, so maybe.... I'll have to search for your post over in collections, I'd love to see it!

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

KaraWildsong42

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Hello and welcome to the Animal Toy Forum, Kara! :) I guess there are at least a handful of people here who do understand how adult people can collect animal toys. Hehe, at 26 I haven't even started collecting... ;D

KaraWildsong42

widukind