This walk-arounds section is being phased out and replaced by the Animal Toy Blog. The board is set to 'reply only' and topics are being migrated to the blog or moved to a different board. Please consider contributing new reviews to the Animal Toy Blog instead.

Author Topic: Tiger Shark (CollectA - Sea Life)  (Read 5167 times)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Tiger Shark (CollectA - Sea Life)
« on: March 29, 2014, 09:58:44 PM »
Walk-around of the CollectA Sea Life 2014 Tiger Shark, Galeocerdo cuvier (Péron & Lesueur, 1822); item No. 88661. The largest of the requiem sharks, Tiger Sharks reach maturity at 2.26 m length or more and usually reach 5, occasionally 7.5 m total length (TL, i.e. including tail fin). Total length of the figure is approx. 200 mm (if the figure was stretched out), so the scale is between approx. 1:12 and 1:37. The human figure ("Freddie the Free Diver" by Safari Ltd is between approx. 1:22.5 - 1:24 scale.
The species is caught in target and non-target (i.e. as a bycatch) fisheries but the population trend is unknown. Currently IUCN considers it "Near Threatened".
When I saw the first photos of this new figure I immediately thought the brilliant, similar sized Safari Ltd MBA Tiger Shark may be dethroned now. And while the new CollectA version features a lot of correct details like the truncate and wide rostrum and even faint lateral keels (which the species often has, although they are hard to see) there are two errors that keep this one from being a perfect figure, the caudal peduncle should have a more pronounced lateral keel (which is better executed on the MBA figure) and - oops . the figure has only four gill slits instead of five.
Here is a link to the figure at CollectA's website: http://www.collecta.biz/en/collections/sea-life/88661

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 11:11:10 PM by brontodocus »

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
Re: Tiger Shark (CollectA - Sea Life)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 11:03:14 PM »
Other great figure of Collecta of this year. Really impresive, I believe that it is one of the best figures of this specie currently. It is a male  ;D, wil it be the partner of MBA figure  ;D?
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 12:30:35 AM »
Thanks, Jetoar!  :) Well, that's possible, the MBA figure doesn't have any claspers.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 11:11:46 PM »
CollectA Tiger Shark images are back. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal