News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

What names do you give your animal toys? What stories do they have?

Started by mermaidgrey, March 27, 2014, 01:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mermaidgrey

I stumbled across this pound puppy bunny from my childhood the other day. I can't remember what it was called when I was little, but I have renamed her Caramel Fudge, because that's what she looks like.
It got me thinking, who else still names their animal toys and collections? Do you ever make up stories for them, or remember the stories and names of the ones from your childhood?

AnimalToyForum

I don't name any of my figures, but I believe our loyal (yet scarce these days) member Himmapaan has a habit of doing so :)

Actually, we have a cuddly toy Triceratops that has a name: Tubbs.  :))

brontodocus

Hehe, same here... but actually I do have two figures that have been named, only not by me but by other forum members. One is a Battat Styracosaurus which was named "Zarin" (after Zarin Khan, a character from the novel "The Far Pavilions" by M.M. Kaye) by Himmapaan and the other one is a big Jasman Carnotaurus which looks oddly cute and harmless and was officially named "Mr. Cuddles" by fellow DTF member Horridus. ;D

sphyrna18

I only have one figure that I actually refer to by name consistently: the AAA 40 inch Monitor Lizard. His name is Sphincter, because he looks like if he were alive he would be an ... well, ya know. I sometimes refer to other figures as Skeezix or Icabod,  but those are more placeholders than names.

mermaidgrey

@ brontodocus and animaltoyforum, Such cute names for such enourmous creatures "Tubbs" and "Mr Cuddles." :) put together like that it sounds like a children's tv show. Perhaps "the adventures of tubbs and mr cuddles."

@ sphyrna18, Sphincter is the best name XD That made me laugh. It's a word my dad uses all the time, sometimes as a nickname for our cat!

LaFanda

I think a lot of my animals had names when I was a kid, I just can't remember them all. The one that does have a story is actually my dinosaur, Kronosaurus by Safari. He was my favorite toy as a kid since he could eat all my other animals, and I played with him so much that two of his flippers broke off and my mom threw him away. So I got a new one, since he was my favorite, and my new model is named Junior. I think it fits with his story, and it is kind of comical since he is such a ferocious beast  :))

Earth was created for all of us, not some of us.

AnimalToyForum

Nice story @LaFanda :D I also have that Kronosaurus - it is not the most accurate model, but since it is based on an inaccurate skeletal mount, we can forgive Safari Ltd. (Though the eye is in the wrong socket  :-X).

LaFanda

Yeah, I read about all his inaccuracies on the blog page. It's a shame, but I still like how monstrous he looks.  :)
Earth was created for all of us, not some of us.

Valinor

My daughters Joyce&Anouk name all the animals in their/our Schleich collection and mention them on our website, too.
However, not all of the newer ones have names yet, they are still in the process of thinking up names that haven't been used for the about 1000 models in the collection.  8)
The girls started doing this because they got the models for playing with, which they did a lot back in the days, and although they don't play with them anymore (they are now 20 and 18 years old  ;D), they still enjoy naming them.
Some names are just goofy, others are derived from the latin name of the species. Or named after a special place or person from the animal's originating region. Quite a few got the name of the person they bought the model from.
www.valinor.nl/schleich
this website shows our collection of animal models within the Schleich® concept "World of Nature"

sadie3112

Quote from: Valinor's Schleich collection on September 05, 2014, 12:06:27 PM
Some names are just goofy, others are derived from the latin name of the species. Or named after a special place or person from the animal's originating region. Quite a few got the name of the person they bought the model from.
This is how I usually name my models, however some remain nameless for quite a while ;D
~Abby~

radioactive347

My dad owns a used car business, and one time I was looking in a car he had bought and found a Schliech giraffe. I named it Alfie. :)