News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

In My Pocket - new style

Started by mermaidgrey, March 24, 2014, 04:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mermaidgrey

As a child I used to collect the old style puppy in my pocket toys, and a few kitties and ponies too. I recently discovered the new style ones and have started to collect them too :)
Here are some pictures of my collection so far. A few are second hand, but most are new. The other day I bought two variety buckets for only £8!
Does anybody else collect these?

dogEdoodoo

Hi Mermaidgrey! These puppy in my pockets are so cute! I used to love collecting the old ones when I was a kid (I've posted a pic of my collection here a while ago!), I had taken a look online at the new ones which were available but never collected any...I guess I have a bit of an attachment to the old style ones since I had those when younger.  ^-^ but now I've seen your collection I think these are super cute! they look like a soft furryish material, is this the case for all of the newer types? I think that's what makes them look a bit cuter!
I really like the other animal versions...the tortoise is really nice, the sealifey ones are really cool too, I wonder how many more there are! I'd be tempted to get some of these myself. I look forward to seeing more of your collections and it would be great if you could dig out older ones of the puppy in my pocket if you have them too..it's fun to see the ones that I never managed to get hold of in my collection!

:D

mermaidgrey

Hello :) I'm glad you like them! I would love to see your collection of old style in my pockets. Where abouts is it on here? Is it under "collections"?
Yes, these new style ones are plastic, slightly softer than the old ones and with lovely soft flocking all over. Some have bases of hard plastic, like the ostrich and additional details in plastic, like horns or collars. Some of mine have a bit of wear, a few being second hand and some others have not been stored very well (the first set of puppies shown have been under my bed for several years) but I think they are all adorable and definitely recommend them :) I feel a bit like the only collector of these at the moment, so it would be nice of someone else started collecting too :)
There are lots of different series (ocean in my pocket, snow in my pocket, jungle in my pocket, puppy in my pocket enchanted valley, to name just a few) A lot, but not all, are shown on the website:
http://inmypocket.com/
If I can find my old style collection I will certainly post pictures :) As it stands, I only know where 3 of them are! Fingers crossed the rest show up :) The only pic I have at the moment is the one shown in my icon, but I will take more pictures when I find my others.

jenna4444

Cute pictures!  I love Puppy in my Pocket!  I am quite partial to the old style, but I've warmed up to the new style.  :)  Too bad the flocking gets so dirty! 

Actually, I'm a pretty big collector of the original style.  I started a message board for them, if either of you (or anyone else reading!) would like to join. 
http://vintageinmypocket.proboards.com/

And I'm in the process of creating a website!  A lot of the Puppy info is done, and I'm just starting to add Kitties.
90sinmyPocket.com 

(I hope you don't thinking I'm spamming with my links... I'm just trying to build up the PimP community!)

KaraWildsong42

Okay, I'm in love with the whale with the spout and the horns on the antelope(?) figure! I'm actually impressed with the poses and the wild animals, they did way better of a job than I ever expected! Their flocking doesn't look cheap like dollar store flocked horses usually do, it's done very well! ....I might have to look into these now, mermaidgrey! You've got a cute collection!
'O bliss of the collector, bliss of the man of leisure!  [...] – and I mean a real collector, a collector as he ought to be – ownership is the most intimate relationship that one can have to objects. Not that they come alive in him; it is he who lives in them.' - Walter Benjamin

mermaidgrey

@ jenna4444

Hello fellow in my pocket lover! Thank you for sharing your link, it's great to find other collectors of puppy in my pocket. I'll definitely be checking out your forum and website.
As for the flocking, I've had no trouble with it so far. The second hand ones were a bit grubby when I got them, but a quick rinse with water and a tiny dash of soap (but no scrubbing, just in case) did wonders. I left them to dry and then used sellotape/scotch tape (depending on which part of the world you're in) to get rid of any unwanted fluff, much like using a lint roller on clothes.

@KaraWildsong42

The ocean creatures do seem to be the most admired on here! The horned creature is a chamois, according to a list (that I can no longer find) of animals in the series :) It's a kind of mountain goat-antelope. That's one of my favourites too, and in great condition considering it is one of the second hand ones.
Yes, the flocking is really good quality, and so stroke-able! I can't stand the feel of cheap flocking, but these really are nice to the touch. My poor puppies have had a few knocks, due to bad storage, but you'd expect anything to get damaged if it was stored with a whole host of things with sharp corners! Not my wisest move.
I hope you will share your collection on here, if you do start collecting. I'd love to see which ones you get :) So far all of mine have been purchased, quite inexpensively, from ebay, though amazon is also a good place to look.
Thanks for looking at my collection. I'm glad you think it's cute!
I have acquired a few more since I posted this, so when I get the chance I will upload some more photos.

KaraWildsong42

Definitely, and looking forward to seeing the rest of your collection!
'O bliss of the collector, bliss of the man of leisure!  [...] – and I mean a real collector, a collector as he ought to be – ownership is the most intimate relationship that one can have to objects. Not that they come alive in him; it is he who lives in them.' - Walter Benjamin

mermaidgrey

Could have put these over in recent acquisitions, but decided to post them here so I can keep them all together :) Here are my new additions to my collection of in my pocket creatures.
The glittery ones I got in a mystery 4 pack off ebay from a series called enchanted valley and are brand new. The others my sister found at a car boot sale and bought them for me. It was a lovely surprise :D I am completely in love with the newborns, especially the jellyfish. Jellyfish of all varieties are some of my favourite animals. They are much smaller than I expected, but all the more cute for that. I have included a few comparison pictures between the octopuses and some scale photos of the creatures in my hand along with one of the baby jelly sitting on an English penny, so you can see just how tiny the baby ones are :)

Here are the regular sized ones my sister found at the car boot sale.

And here are the babies, also from the car boot sale.

And here's some to give you an idea of scale.

Here are the enchanted valley creatures, with a close up of the deer so you can better see the glitter.

Thant's all for now! :D

KaraWildsong42

:o Oh my goodness! The glittery deer is adorable!! Those babies are too cute, the little jelly's face is so sweet! ^^ The snake looks fantastic all coiled up with his tongue out, and I love the little boxing gloves on the kangaroo! Thanks for sharing!

mermaidgrey

Thank you :D I'm glad you like them. Thanks for looking :D

According to my sister the girl selling at the car boot sale wanted £1 per regular creature and 50p per baby, but my sister struck a hard bargain and got the whole lot for £3 ;) Got to love a bargain like that. I was so excited when she brought them home, like a child for sweets!

Yes, I thought the glitter on the enchanted valley creatures was a nice touch. Much more "enchanted" looking, in fact :) I have named the deer Prue. They will all have names eventually, but only about half have so far.