Author Topic: Plankton and Protozoa  (Read 14515 times)

widukind

• Andreas
    • View Profile
Re: Plankton and Protozoa
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2017, 07:48:21 PM »
Very nice too :)

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2017, 08:50:07 PM »

Antarctic krill, Euphausia superba [ID is speculative], (Burger King kids meal toy), 2011, the larger krill is about 2.4 in. or 6.1 cm.

Posterior view. The characters, Rockin' Will and Bill from Happy Feet Two, perform a rocking motion when the levers beneath are squeezed together.

Krill are small shrimp-like crustaceans in class Malacostraca, but are not decapods, classified as a sister group in superorder Eucarida. Here we list them on the plankton thread, although they are correctly called plankton only while larvae. Adult length is 2.4 in., similar to the figures. The Antarctic krill have perhaps the largest total biomass of any species, food for whales, seals, penguins, and other predators.

We can appreciate that this important crustacean is represented by a toy, even though we prefer 3D figures instead of 2D. Purchased on eBay.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 01:18:49 PM by stemturtle »

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2017, 07:45:31 PM »
Three protozoans as pressed-glass figurines. Normally I do not collect glass figurines, but as a parasitologist, human parasite figures cannot be ignored. These were bought on Etsy from Trilobite Glassworks.

left to right: Giardia duodenalis (syn. G. intestinalis, G. lamblia) (trophozoite), Trichomonas vaginalis (trophozoite), Toxoplasma gondii (tachyzoite)

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2017, 04:36:52 PM »
Plankton Keychain & Magnifier (Epoch)

Euglena, Vorticella, Sea sparkle, Horseshoe worm

The Ecology of Plankton (Epoch), released in 2004, was reviewed by bmathison1972. The same ten figures were released in 2007, each with a loop attached to a keychain and magnifier.

Thanks to Beetle guy for sending me four of the species after a year of searching, shown here removed from the chains.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 01:16:28 PM by stemturtle »

Beetle guy

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2017, 06:38:07 PM »
Glad they arrived! :)
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2017, 11:58:13 AM »
Plankton Keychain & Magnifier (Epoch)

Euglena, Vorticella, Sea sparkle, Horseshoe worm

The Ecology of Plankton (Epoch), released in 2004, was reviewed by bmathison1972. The same ten figures were released in 2007, each with a loop attached to a keychain and magnifier.

Thanks to Beetle guy for sending me four of the species after a year of searching, shown here removed from the chains.

These were offered for sale to me, but since they appeared to be the same as the main set, I decided to leave them for someone else. Glad they went to you stemturtle!!!!

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2017, 01:57:46 PM »

These were offered for sale to me, but since they appeared to be the same as the main set, I decided to leave them for someone else. Glad they went to you stemturtle!!!!

Bmathison1972, I appreciate your consideration.
"We are a friendly and open community..."  :)

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2017, 02:09:23 PM »

Bmathison1972, I appreciate your consideration.
"We are a friendly and open community..."  :)

That's crazy that the figures were released...with loops! Of course, the first version had goo in a jar, so clearly that was a period of 'experimentation' from Epoch!

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2017, 11:43:55 PM »
Awesome, James, congrats! :) I think I didn't have any idea about their size so thanks for showing them together with the Schleich man for comparison! :)

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2018, 07:56:21 PM »

Comb jelly, species not identified, (Dynasty Gallery)

This laser-etched crystal has a diameter of about 3 inches.  It demonstrates how sampling diverse taxa can take us beyond animal toys and into the realm of collectibles.
Ctenophora is a small phylum, lacking the stinging nematocysts of the cnidarian jellyfish. Comb jellies are largely ignored by toy manufacturers, with the exception of
Fisher Price .

I wonder if the artist might have been inspired by the sea walnut, Mnemiopsis leidyi. Length of that species is about 4 inches or 10 cm. When disturbed, the rows of ciliated combs glow blue-green.

Available on Amazon.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 01:19:53 PM by stemturtle »

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2018, 08:01:55 PM »

These acrylic keychain figures were made by Ayano Katayama, sold on a website called minne.com. Shown with keychains removed. Thanks to Brett and Emiko. Thickness is about 4 mm thick, like two quarter dollars stacked. They complement the new Science Technicolor set of microorganisms.

Amoeba proteus

Brachionus sp., a rotifer

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2018, 11:02:40 PM »
uggh, I wish I would have known about these before they got sold out. I have the entire Ikimon set coming though

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2018, 12:21:51 PM »
uggh, I wish I would have known about these before they got sold out. I have the entire Ikimon set coming though

I came late to that party too.
Hope you will have time to post a review of the Ikimon set when it is delivered.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2018, 01:36:03 AM »

I came late to that party too.
Hope you will have time to post a review of the Ikimon set when it is delivered.

yes I am planning on a comprehensive review of the whole set, per usual.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2018, 01:45:17 AM »
I just did a review of the whole set but here are the Ikimon plankton (the three with an asterisk are new at the genus level):

1. Pedastrium species*
2. Volvox species*
3. Noctiluca scintillans
4. Scenedesmus species*
5. Euglena species
6. Paramecium bursaria
7. Daphnia pulex
8. Closterium species

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2018, 12:54:24 PM »
Your photography is stunning, bmathison. Flat items on a shelf can be difficult to see.
My set is displayed in a shadow box frame hanging on the wall.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2018, 03:06:12 PM »
Your photography is stunning, bmathison. Flat items on a shelf can be difficult to see.
My set is displayed in a shadow box frame hanging on the wall.

Mine are not on shelves yet. Still trying to decide how to display them

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2018, 02:53:35 AM »
Promastigote stage of Leishmania species. This is another glassworks jewelry by Trilobite Glassworks. You can buy her stuff in Etsy, but I got this one in person at a booth when I attended the ASM/Microbe meeting in Atlanta last month!

P.S. @stemturtle, we have made this quite a substantial thread!

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2018, 03:34:02 PM »
The Leishmania is a nice catch, bmathison.
As the folk song (by Bill Staines) says, "All God's creatures got a place in the choir."
 :)