News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Plankton and Protozoa

Started by bmathison1972, February 27, 2014, 02:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbell

It's technically called the 'Ecology of Plankton'.

I was able to determine the species, etc by entering the Japanese script in Wikipedia Japan, and gleaning the Latin names from there.

AMOEBA   AMOEBA proteus
PURPLE SEA URCHIN PLUTEUS/LARVAE   STRONGLYOCENTROTUS purpuratus
EUGLENA   EUGLENA acus
PARAMECIUM   PARAMECIUM caudatum
MOON JELLYFISH LARVAE   AURELIA labiata
VORTICELLA   VORTICELLA nebulifera
SEA SPARKLE   NOCTILUCA scintillans
WATER FLEA   DAPHNIA pulex
HORSESHOE WORM LARVAE   PHORONIS spp.
CYCLOPS (SECRET FIGURE)   CYCLOPS spp.

As I said, I think the series is from about 1998. I've only seen it for sale once--and it was when I bought it! I did, however, drain out the weird 'protoplasm' goo. It didn't keep well, but the figures stayed together fine.

stemturtle

Wow! What a treasure trove of taxa. Several unique species.
Beetle guy, thanks for the image of the plankton set.
Sbell, thanks for the identifications with scientific names. I have seen the release date given as 2004 on an old auction record.
If only the set were available today.

sbell

Quote from: stemturtle on November 16, 2016, 10:14:02 PM
Wow! What a treasure trove of taxa. Several unique species.
Beetle guy, thanks for the image of the plankton set.
Sbell, thanks for the identifications with scientific names. I have seen the release date given as 2004 on an old auction record.
If only the set were available today.

I could be wrong on the date--I have the info papers, but haven't looked at them for some time!

And the only reason I was able to translate was that the auction listed them all! So I was able to take that, and work them out. Otherwise, it would have been a series of mysteries!

brontodocus

Argh, the Epoch set I've missed out... :'( Stoopid me who didn't buy it when it was still available at YAJ in 2010 or 2011 (because I hadn't really started collecting before 2010). And it was cheap, something like 1000 Yen or so for the entire set... If I remember correctly, we were even discussing the availability of this set back then on the DTF version 1, at least with Sean and Blaine?

brontodocus

Wow, what an excellent model, congrats, stemturtle! 8) And I've been checking Amazon.com, too - I found it but it seems Amazon.com is now more restrictive in sending items overseas. And it's not just this one, they won't ship the 3b Scientific amphibians and reptiles to Germany anymore, too... :'( By the way, I don't know if what I've seen of the amoeba was a discount price or not (I think it wasn't) but I'd say for a model of this size and apparent quality it's still quite cheap.

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on November 17, 2016, 10:04:52 PM
Argh, the Epoch set I've missed out... :'( Stoopid me who didn't buy it when it was still available at YAJ in 2010 or 2011 (because I hadn't really started collecting before 2010). And it was cheap, something like 1000 Yen or so for the entire set... If I remember correctly, we were even discussing the availability of this set back then on the DTF version 1, at least with Sean and Blaine?

I think I got it in about 2010. I don't recall seeing others, but I don't recall it being easy to find then. It's such a weird set, and yeah, it seemed like a decent price then, especially given that even the chase figure Cyclops was there!

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on November 18, 2016, 02:06:45 AM
Quote from: brontodocus on November 17, 2016, 10:04:52 PM

I think I got it in about 2010. I don't recall seeing others, but I don't recall it being easy to find then. It's such a weird set, and yeah, it seemed like a decent price then, especially given that even the chase figure Cyclops was there!

the Cyclops is the one thing, if any, from that set I really want!

Jetoar

Thanks for sharing this set. I didnt know them  :o.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Jetoar

I think that more companies must be released educational toys as it  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Beetle guy

here is a link to DinoToy Forum with photo's of the set by member Sbell

http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/33/recent-acquisitions?page=420
To beetle or not to beetle.

brontodocus

Quote from: Beetle guy on November 18, 2016, 01:50:59 PM

Ah, thanks! :) I had the feeling I hadn't made up that we were discussing the set when it was still available at Japanese auctions. Still a pity that I didin't acquire a set back then. :'(

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on November 18, 2016, 01:57:15 PM
Quote from: Beetle guy on November 18, 2016, 01:50:59 PM

Ah, thanks! :) I had the feeling I hadn't made up that we were discussing the set when it was still available at Japanese auctions. Still a pity that I didin't acquire a set back then. :'(

It feels like I've had them so much longer! Andeven then, they were long out of production!

bmathison1972

I just got my Amoeba today. Holy cow it's big. I must have misread that it was going to be 9 inches (the amoeba alone is at least 13 inches!) :). I also have the Euglena and Paramecium coming...

bmathison1972

Two more EISCO protozoa: Euglena and Paramecium:

sbell

Those are pretty cool. Although I am judging for the lack of scale bar or other references for size. ;D

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on November 23, 2016, 04:12:35 AM
Those are pretty cool. Although I am judging for the lack of scale bar or other references for size. ;D

they are big; not quite as big as the Amoeba proteus, but those sheets of paper are standard US 8.5x11"

bmathison1972

...also, changing the name of this thread to Plankton and Protozoa so it covers all range of similar eukaryotes :)

stemturtle

Bmathison, your two new models provide instructive detail. The Paramecium shows the 2 nuceli. The Euglena demonstrates the location of the red eyespot next to the 2 flagella.

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 23, 2016, 02:41:42 PM
...also, changing the name of this thread to Plankton and Protozoa so it covers all range of similar eukaryotes :)

So no bacteria or viruses then?  :(

;)

stemturtle

Giant amoeba (WizKids), height about 2 in. or 5 cm.
This is a collectible miniature from a game by WizKids called HorrorClix, available as an individual figure on eBay.

The card says that the amoeba represents an alien beast.

The rescued victim has been pried loose from the green plastic with a knife.
The scarcity of protozoan figures can lead to acts of recklessness.  :)
Now the giant amoeba may be identified as Chaos carolinense.

Comparison with Amoeba proteus (EISCO) shows that the pseudopods of Chaos carolinense are more pointed than they should be.