News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Butterfly (Agrias sp.) (Furuta - ChocoEgg Series 6)

Started by AnimalToyForum, February 23, 2014, 12:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimalToyForum

Walk-around of the miniature butterfly by Furuta. I think it is supposed to be Agrias sp. but someone with more knowledge may be able to say otherwise. It is impressive how much attention to detail has been given to the underside of the wings considering that they aren't even visible unless the figure is turned over.

bmathison1972

Thank you for sharing! I have seen this listed as Agrias narcissus, so that's what I've been calling it.

Yes, the gashapon makers spare no detail...even the underside of a miniature insect! (you should see the folded wings under Kaiyodo's recent blister beetle--and they are completely hidden once the elytra are attached!).

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 23, 2014, 01:28:15 PM
Thank you for sharing! I have seen this listed as Agrias narcissus, so that's what I've been calling it.

Yes, the gashapon makers spare no detail...even the underside of a miniature insect! (you should see the folded wings under Kaiyodo's recent blister beetle--and they are completely hidden once the elytra are attached!).

These Furuta miniatures are generally less well refined compared with Kaiyodos, but this butterfly is one of the better ones.   :)

brontodocus

While I like it a lot (and it's the only Agrias figure I'm aware of) Furuta made a common mistake here: The figure has six fully developed legs. But members of Nymphalidae have reduced forelegs (that's why they are also called four-legged butterflies) which are only used to clean eyes and antennae but which are so short that they can never touch the ground (instead they are usually hidden among the dense setation of the thorax). Some other butterfly figures, e.g. the Safari Ltd Smithsonian Morpho have the same inaccuracy.

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on February 23, 2014, 02:10:48 PM
While I like it a lot (and it's the only Agrias figure I'm aware of) Furuta made a common mistake here: The figure has six fully developed legs. But members of Nymphalidae have reduced forelegs (that's why they are also called four-legged butterflies) which are only used to clean eyes and antennae but which are so short that they can never touch the ground (instead they are usually hidden among the dense setation of the thorax). Some other butterfly figures, e.g. the Safari Ltd Smithsonian Morpho have the same inaccuracy.

I am revisiting this post (you linked it from my CollectA monarch). Actually, my Safari Smithsonian Morpho has accurate legs, but the Hidden Kingdom Morpho (the one that is the same sculpt as the orange-barred sulfur) is the one with the 6 developed legs.

brontodocus

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 25, 2015, 11:27:32 PM
Quote from: brontodocus on February 23, 2014, 02:10:48 PM

I am revisiting this post (you linked it from my CollectA monarch). Actually, my Safari Smithsonian Morpho has accurate legs, but the Hidden Kingdom Morpho (the one that is the same sculpt as the orange-barred sulfur) is the one with the 6 developed legs.
This is strange, indeed. ??? Since mine has three pairs of legs:

Are there several versions of the Smithsonian Morpho?

bmathison1972

WOW, mine has only 2!  :o :o :o

I bought mine new, so I dont think it was altered and it doesnt appear to be so either?!?!?

Maybe there were multiple releases?!?!

Baffling!

bmathison1972

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 25, 2015, 11:57:02 PM

I bought mine new, so I dont think it was altered and it doesnt appear to be so either?!?!?

Baffling!

I just re-visited my figure and if the seller altered it, they did a darn good job of making it look natural. It's possible it was re-released although I havent known Safari to correct such mistakes. Where did you buy yours? Maybe in Europe there was a different line?!?!

brontodocus

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 26, 2015, 12:01:53 AM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 25, 2015, 11:57:02 PM

Baffling!

I just re-visited my figure and if the seller altered it, they did a darn good job of making it look natural. It's possible it was re-released although I havent known Safari to correct such mistakes. Where did you buy yours? Maybe in Europe there was a different line?!?!
Weird, isn't it? I think that's not just a minor change to a figure. I bought my figure used and from a U.S. seller. It would be interesting to know which version came first. Seeing Chad's photos you sent me I wonder if the version with two pairs of legs may be a bit unbalanced? It looks as if it could easily topple over. Could this be the reason to add an (inaccurate) pair of front legs? On the other hand in case the six-footed version came first I think it's also plausible that the front legs were removed after Safari Ltd found out that they shouldn't be present.

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures