This walk-arounds section is being phased out and replaced by the Animal Toy Blog. The board is set to 'reply only' and topics are being migrated to the blog or moved to a different board. Please consider contributing new reviews to the Animal Toy Blog instead.

Author Topic: American Alligator (Collecta - Wild Life)  (Read 3967 times)

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
American Alligator (Collecta - Wild Life)
« on: December 24, 2013, 06:14:21 PM »
Hello friends, this is the figure of American Alligator (Crocodilus mississipiensis) Daudin, 1802 of Collecta - Wild Life. Total lenght is 180mm. This figure was relased in 2013 and it is avaliable. American alligators are only found in the Southeastern United States, from Great Dismal Swamp in North Carolina, south to Everglades National Park in Florida and west to the southern tip of Texas. They are found in the U.S. states of North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Texas, and Oklahoma. Alligators inhabit swamps, streams, rivers, ponds and lakes. Alligators modify wetland habitats, most dramatically in flat areas such as the Everglades, by constructing small ponds known as alligator holes. This behavior has qualified the American alligator to be considered a keystone species.

Collecta is a young brand of figures, but in his short time of existence, they have done a lot of figures of different species of animals (included rare species of dinosaurs and animals). In their cattegory of wild life, they have included the American Alligator. This figure is a wonderful representation of this whale. The colors are exact and the details are nice. I think that it is one of the best figures of this animal and good acquistion for reptiles collectors but I think that they could do a head better. I bought this figure in a store of my girlfriends town yesterday ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Re: American Alligator (Collecta - Wild Life)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 01:17:39 PM »
While it's another nice walk-around you posted there, Jetoar - I have to say when I bought mine I was somewhat disappointed. There are some angles (e.g. from the side) from which the figure looks good but some anatomical errors are too distracting for me. The snout is very wide at the cheeks and is tapering too much towards the tip. It should have an almost parallel sided, wide snout and even in a female it should not be tapering this much. The lower jaw looks too weak at its rear. The area between the eyes should not be elevated, the throat should only be that wide when its resting on the ground (when lifted up in the air the throat should droop), the front legs and especially the shoulder region look very weak. I wonder why only the midline of the belly is drooping and not the entire width of the belly. The osteoderms are well detailed and the paint job looks good but for me the anatomical issues prevail. Maybe I'm so critical about this figure because for me it was one of the most anticipated for 2013 which may have greatly contributed to my disappointment. :-[

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
Re: American Alligator (Collecta - Wild Life)
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 11:44:59 PM »
While it's another nice walk-around you posted there, Jetoar - I have to say when I bought mine I was somewhat disappointed. There are some angles (e.g. from the side) from which the figure looks good but some anatomical errors are too distracting for me. The snout is very wide at the cheeks and is tapering too much towards the tip. It should have an almost parallel sided, wide snout and even in a female it should not be tapering this much. The lower jaw looks too weak at its rear. The area between the eyes should not be elevated, the throat should only be that wide when its resting on the ground (when lifted up in the air the throat should droop), the front legs and especially the shoulder region look very weak. I wonder why only the midline of the belly is drooping and not the entire width of the belly. The osteoderms are well detailed and the paint job looks good but for me the anatomical issues prevail. Maybe I'm so critical about this figure because for me it was one of the most anticipated for 2013 which may have greatly contributed to my disappointment. :-[

Yes friend, I have seen the same mistakes that you, but I think that the problems that this figure have are a consecuence of the pose. Anyway I think it was quite risky to make a figure of this kind of animal in this particular pose because it isn't usual. However it is nice they tried to do it, It's very rare to see crocodilomorphos figures in a standing pose  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal