News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Forum changes

Started by AnimalToyForum, December 16, 2012, 01:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: MammothProductions on January 10, 2020, 12:25:01 AM
I have been inactive on the DTF since my last post in this thread because I am still unable to post. I have tried logging in and out, and using a different device, yet nothing has worked. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

How odd, the DTF is working for everyone else. PM me with the details - error messages, screenshots if possible, if it happens in every topic - and I'll see what I can do.

AnimalToyForum

I've changed the name of the "Forum business" board to "Forum and blog business".

bmathison1972

Quote from: animaltoyforum on May 15, 2020, 12:27:57 PM
I've changed the name of the "Forum business" board to "Forum and blog business".

Thanks! I was actually trying to figure out how to do that yesterday LOL

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 15, 2020, 04:32:01 PM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on May 15, 2020, 12:27:57 PM

Thanks! I was actually trying to figure out how to do that yesterday LOL

Hehe, great minds think alike. I think only the admin can change board titles (under the current settings at least).

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: animaltoyforum on January 06, 2020, 08:39:43 PM
I've upgraded the forum software for improved security. One side effect is that the image resize feature has been killed, so please be aware of this while I find a fix. Apologies for the inconvenience.

The new software also allows the forum to be GDPR compliant, which is a legal obligation. Hopefully when I activate this feature it isn't too obstructive - I personally hate having to click a dialogue box to view a page, but there's no way around it without breaking the law.

But first I have to write a privacy policy! Lucky me. ::)

The image resize feature is back up and running, finally! That makes a big difference to the user experience.

bmathison1972

Quote from: animaltoyforum on May 28, 2020, 01:00:54 PM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on January 06, 2020, 08:39:43 PM
I've upgraded the forum software for improved security. One side effect is that the image resize feature has been killed, so please be aware of this while I find a fix. Apologies for the inconvenience.

The new software also allows the forum to be GDPR compliant, which is a legal obligation. Hopefully when I activate this feature it isn't too obstructive - I personally hate having to click a dialogue box to view a page, but there's no way around it without breaking the law.

But first I have to write a privacy policy! Lucky me. ::)

The image resize feature is back up and running, finally! That makes a big difference to the user experience.

Thanks! I'll test it on my phone later, where the phenomenon has the greatest effect.

AnimalToyForum

A substantial upgrade for our forum software was released last month. It comes with several new in-built features including, for example, a new default theme with full support for mobile devices, and the option to draft messages (so you can save & resume later). However, the upgrade will remove many of the modifications I've made to the existing forum over the past ten years, so some aspects of the forum's functionality and appearance may change or be temporarily (or permanently) lost. So, some tinkering will be required after I make the upgrade. I'm not sure exactly when I will implement the upgrade so this is just advance notice that some quite exciting change is afoot!

bmathison1972

I like the idea of drafts!!!!!!!!!!!

AnimalToyForum

The forum has been down for a few days while I was trying, and failing, to upgrade the software. Apologies for the inconvenience. I'll give it another try in the near future and hopefully it will go more smoothly!

NSD Bashe

Okay thanks for the update; I figured it was something like that but it's good to know for sure it wasn't just my internet connection being weird

AnimalToyForum

The underlying issue that was stopping me from upgrading the forum has been resolved (our database server version has been upgraded). So, I will soon attempt again to upgrade the forum software to the next version. It will mean some major changes and some potential disruption. If I'm feeling up for it I may try this later today, so hold on to your butts!

AnimalToyForum

The large upgrade was a success! This means the forum is now running on a clean install of a brand new version of the forum software, but without the modifications I had made to the old forum. So, please be patient as I manually add any missing functionality and features. Things like the side bars and icons etc. will be added with time, so don't panic just yet...

Isidro

Thanks for your hard effort to preserve this forum :)

bmathison1972

It will take time to get used to, but workable

@animaltoyforum - will adding images from the Blog be the same?

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 13, 2022, 02:31:22 PMIt will take time to get used to, but workable

@animaltoyforum - will adding images from the Blog be the same?

I'm trying to make the layout, theme, and colour scheme as close to the last version of the forum as possible. I'm getting there...

Yes, adding images from the blog is the same.

bmathison1972

I am on a forum for collectors of sports swag which is laid out very similar to this (so far). So I am familiar with this format so far.

Say, is this a chance to add the 2022 banner I gave you a while back? ;-)

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 13, 2022, 02:52:58 PMI am on a forum for collectors of sports swag which is laid out very similar to this (so far). So I am familiar with this format so far.

Say, is this a chance to add the 2022 banner I gave you a while back? ;-)

Could you link to the sports forum, I'd be interested to take a look and see if they are using the same software.

Yeah, I'm looking at updating the banner now, but it's not that simple because the banner has to be dynamic (fit for mobile devices), so I have to code the banner into the background of the site. I'll do it though, it just means a bit of coding.

GojiraGuy1954

Woah, I like the re-theme, even if it was a bit jarring to first see upon loadup

GojiraGuy1954

Is something similar going to happen to the DTF?

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 13, 2022, 04:13:17 PMIs something similar going to happen to the DTF?

Yep! I'm upgrading the ATF first because it is much smaller, so I can troubleshoot without impacting too many users... but the DTF is next.