News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Forum changes

Started by AnimalToyForum, December 16, 2012, 01:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beetle guy

To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

Quote from: animaltoyforum on June 17, 2018, 09:17:29 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 17, 2018, 02:06:21 PM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on June 17, 2018, 02:01:40 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 17, 2018, 01:06:50 PM
I just noticed if you click on the section 'Reviews and Walkarounds' or, on right bar, 'Read Recent Reviews and Walkarounds', all of these new Yowies reviews are not showing up? Did something not carry over when the child board was made?

Well spotted. Yes, I need to add the new child boards to the list...will do it now.

Any thoughts on my suggestions to rejig the forum?

Would general discussions for a certain company be intermixed with walkarounds? Personally I like walkarounds and reviews distinct (easier to search among them)

Yeah, but we only really have one general discussion topic per brand, so I was thinking of pinning (stickying) them to the top of each board. Other more general discussion in the Lines section can be moved to the 'Animal toys (general)' section, while the "New for..." threads could, but don't necessarily need to, be in a separate section.

I am thinking more and liking more the idea of putting walkarounds under general discussions per brand. Maybe walkarounds could even be a child board under each company. Or not. Probably either work. We might want to create more brand-specific boards to clean up miscellaneous a bit.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 01, 2018, 04:49:07 PM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on June 17, 2018, 09:17:29 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 17, 2018, 02:06:21 PM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on June 17, 2018, 02:01:40 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 17, 2018, 01:06:50 PM
I just noticed if you click on the section 'Reviews and Walkarounds' or, on right bar, 'Read Recent Reviews and Walkarounds', all of these new Yowies reviews are not showing up? Did something not carry over when the child board was made?

Well spotted. Yes, I need to add the new child boards to the list...will do it now.

Any thoughts on my suggestions to rejig the forum?

Would general discussions for a certain company be intermixed with walkarounds? Personally I like walkarounds and reviews distinct (easier to search among them)

Yeah, but we only really have one general discussion topic per brand, so I was thinking of pinning (stickying) them to the top of each board. Other more general discussion in the Lines section can be moved to the 'Animal toys (general)' section, while the "New for..." threads could, but don't necessarily need to, be in a separate section.

I am thinking more and liking more the idea of putting walkarounds under general discussions per brand. Maybe walkarounds could even be a child board under each company. Or not. Probably either work. We might want to create more brand-specific boards to clean up miscellaneous a bit.

Yes, there are definitely pros to organising the forum that way. Especially, I think it might be more logical few new members joining the site. Shall I put it to a vote?

AnimalToyForum

bmathison1972

Thanks Adam; @Beetle guy you can add the Ikimon 2020 figures now :)

Beetle guy

bmathison1972

Quote from: Beetle guy on August 15, 2019, 10:49:26 AM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 14, 2019, 08:36:25 PM
Thanks Adam; @Beetle guy you can add the Ikimon 2020 figures now :)

Kaiyodo ;-)

D'oh! I misunderstood because I thought they were pouches (which Ikimon has done), not that they came in pouches  ;D ;D ;D

AnimalToyForum

I've updated the colour code for membergroups:
Admin is now red
Global moderators are now blue
Animal Toy Blog reviewers/authors are now purple.

Beetle guy

AnimalToyForum

I've upgraded the forum software for improved security. One side effect is that the image resize feature has been killed, so please be aware of this while I find a fix. Apologies for the inconvenience.

The new software also allows the forum to be GDPR compliant, which is a legal obligation. Hopefully when I activate this feature it isn't too obstructive - I personally hate having to click a dialogue box to view a page, but there's no way around it without breaking the law.

But first I have to write a privacy policy! Lucky me. ::)

sbell

Quote from: animaltoyforum on January 06, 2020, 08:39:43 PM
I've upgraded the forum software for improved security. One side effect is that the image resize feature has been killed, so please be aware of this while I find a fix. Apologies for the inconvenience.

The new software also allows the forum to be GDPR compliant, which is a legal obligation. Hopefully when I activate this feature it isn't too obstructive - I personally hate having to click a dialogue box to view a page, but there's no way around it without breaking the law.

Speaking of writing things, do we have a copyright statement? Over ownership of the images (and, I suppose, the writing) included?

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: sbell on January 06, 2020, 08:55:35 PM

Speaking of writing things, do we have a copyright statement? Over ownership of the images (and, I suppose, the writing) included?

No. That's something I started to do with the diorama contests, just to make sure I could post the pictures on the blog, forum, and elsewhere. But makes sense to do it for the blog in general - for any images hosted on the site (as opposed to images hosted on off-site storage and linked to via BBCode - i.e. most forum images.)

sbell

Quote from: animaltoyforum on January 06, 2020, 10:28:58 PM

No. That's something I started to do with the diorama contests, just to make sure I could post the pictures on the blog, forum, and elsewhere. But makes sense to do it for the blog in general - for any images hosted on the site (as opposed to images hosted on off-site storage and linked to via BBCode - i.e. most forum images.)

That's probably a good idea. Things should probably get watermarked I suppose, but I honestly don't want to take the time. If only there was some way for the blog website itself to auto-stamp images. Not sure if that's a thing, or if it's simple enough to bother.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: sbell on January 07, 2020, 01:11:57 AM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on January 06, 2020, 10:28:58 PM

That's probably a good idea. Things should probably get watermarked I suppose, but I honestly don't want to take the time. If only there was some way for the blog website itself to auto-stamp images. Not sure if that's a thing, or if it's simple enough to bother.

One can watermark images in bulk in, say, Photoshop, which is easy if you put it in the middle, but it gets complicated if you want the watermark on the edge so that it doesn't obscure the image content, especially if the images are different sizes/resolutions. I gave up last time I tried.

Avian

Sincerely, thanks for all the work you guys put into this forum to make it as great as it is.
You must understand the past before you can change the future.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: MammothProductions on January 07, 2020, 10:07:54 PM
Sincerely, thanks for all the work you guys put into this forum to make it as great as it is.

Thanks, and thank you for being a participating member - a forum without a community is nothing!  ^-^

Avian

I am not sure where I should post this, but... I just checked the DinosaurToyForum and I cannot post a reply on any thread. Not sure if this is due to maintenance or a glitch, or if this is just affecting me. I'm hoping an administrator will see this. Thanks.

AnimalToyForum

Glitch, I think. I also experienced some server errors when I tried to post earlier today.

AnimalToyForum

I've removed the links in the top menu to the Reviews & Walk-arounds section, as the Animal Toy Blog is now in place to undertake the function of that board.

Avian

I have been inactive on the DTF since my last post in this thread because I am still unable to post. I have tried logging in and out, and using a different device, yet nothing has worked. Is there anything I can do to fix this?