This walk-arounds section is being phased out and replaced by the Animal Toy Blog. The board is set to 'reply only' and topics are being migrated to the blog or moved to a different board. Please consider contributing new reviews to the Animal Toy Blog instead.

Author Topic: Manta Ray (Collecta - Sea Life)  (Read 2787 times)

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
Manta Ray (Collecta - Sea Life)
« on: December 23, 2013, 02:26:52 AM »
Hello friends, this is the figure of Manta Ray (Manta birostris) Walbaum, 1792 of Collecta - Sea Life. Total lenght is 150 mm and 150 mm of wingspan. Probably this specie is a Reef Manta Ray (Manta alfredi) J. L. G. Krefft, 1868. This figure was relased in 2006 and it is avaliable nowaday. Manta rays can grow to a disc size of up to 9 metres (30 ft) with a weight of about 1,350 kilograms (3,000 lb). It can live for twenty years. It is dorso-ventrally flattened and has large, triangular pectoral fins on either side of the disc. At the front it has a pair of cephalic fins which are forward extensions of the pectoral fins.The colouring of the dorsal (upper) surface is black, dark brown or steely blue, sometimes with a few pale spots and usually with a pale edge.

Collecta is a young brand of figures, but in his short time of existence, they have done a lot of figures of different species of animals (included rare species of dinosaurs and animals). In their cattegory of sea life, they have included the Manta ray. This figure is a nice representation of this dolphin. The colors are exact and the details are nice.  I think that it is one of the best figures of this animal and good acquistion for fishes collectors. This is a early gift of my girlfriend for Christmas with a Blue Whale, Orca, Great white shark and Bottlenose Dolphin  ^-^.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:54:15 PM by Jetoar »
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Re: Manta Ray (Collecta - Sea Life)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 11:32:23 AM »
With those dark spots on the ventral side not being restricted to the rear half but greatly extending forward, I wonder if this may actually represent Manta alfredi. :o However, M. alfredi was considered a synonym of M. birostris until quite recently (2009, so after the release of the figure).

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
Re: Manta Ray (Collecta - Sea Life)
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 02:46:23 PM »
With those dark spots on the ventral side not being restricted to the rear half but greatly extending forward, I wonder if this may actually represent Manta alfredi. :o However, M. alfredi was considered a synonym of M. birostris until quite recently (2009, so after the release of the figure).

I think that it is a Reef Manta Ray definetely as you said friend because I have bee seeing the spots, fins and white lines of its back  ^-^.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:52:39 PM by Jetoar »
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal