News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Manta Ray (Collecta - Sea Life)

Started by Jetoar, December 23, 2013, 02:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetoar

Hello friends, this is the figure of Manta Ray (Manta birostris) Walbaum, 1792 of Collecta - Sea Life. Total lenght is 150 mm and 150 mm of wingspan. Probably this specie is a Reef Manta Ray (Manta alfredi) J. L. G. Krefft, 1868. This figure was relased in 2006 and it is avaliable nowaday. Manta rays can grow to a disc size of up to 9 metres (30 ft) with a weight of about 1,350 kilograms (3,000 lb). It can live for twenty years. It is dorso-ventrally flattened and has large, triangular pectoral fins on either side of the disc. At the front it has a pair of cephalic fins which are forward extensions of the pectoral fins.The colouring of the dorsal (upper) surface is black, dark brown or steely blue, sometimes with a few pale spots and usually with a pale edge.

Collecta is a young brand of figures, but in his short time of existence, they have done a lot of figures of different species of animals (included rare species of dinosaurs and animals). In their cattegory of sea life, they have included the Manta ray. This figure is a nice representation of this dolphin. The colors are exact and the details are nice.  I think that it is one of the best figures of this animal and good acquistion for fishes collectors. This is a early gift of my girlfriend for Christmas with a Blue Whale, Orca, Great white shark and Bottlenose Dolphin  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

With those dark spots on the ventral side not being restricted to the rear half but greatly extending forward, I wonder if this may actually represent Manta alfredi. :o However, M. alfredi was considered a synonym of M. birostris until quite recently (2009, so after the release of the figure).

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on December 23, 2013, 11:32:23 AM
With those dark spots on the ventral side not being restricted to the rear half but greatly extending forward, I wonder if this may actually represent Manta alfredi. :o However, M. alfredi was considered a synonym of M. birostris until quite recently (2009, so after the release of the figure).

I think that it is a Reef Manta Ray definetely as you said friend because I have bee seeing the spots, fins and white lines of its back  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures