News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Going Batty!!!

Started by Varanus, December 15, 2012, 01:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varanus

This thread is dedicated to those remarkable flying mammals, the bats!
So whether it's a Little Brown Bat or a giant Flying Fox, post 'em here! ;D

Here's my pitiful bat collection: :)

These six bats look like they could have been made by PV, but they're not.  I'd love some help IDing the species! ;)

I bought a whole bunch of these bats at a Halloween store because they looked surprisingly good.  They look a bit like a flying fox and a vampire bat.  I also saw at that store a bat that looked like it was cast from a real specimen (looked like a "brown bat" sp); it was attached to a necklace.  I regret not purchasing it.

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

AnimalToyForum

Oh, I'd overlooked this thread. Good choice of animals!  8)

brontodocus

I must confess, I've somewhat overlooked it, too. :-\
Identifying bats is really hard, though (at least to species level). The brown one on the left in the first photo is apparently a rhinolophid. :) Some of the others may be identifiable further, too. And they really look like PV. Wasn't there a PV bat set, too?

I have two flying foxes:

Pteropus dasymallus Temminck, 1825; Ryukyu Flying Fox. Furuta Choco Egg Animals of Japan Series 5. Not sure about the scale since I forgot to measure the figure but I believe it should be something between 1:10 - 1:15.

Pteropus giganteus (Brünnich, 1782); Indian Flying Fox. Colorata Endangered Animals - Wild Animals Vol. 1. Length 22 mm, wing span 84 mm, scale approx. 1:14 - 1:18. This figure can be attached to the tree of the Orangutan figure from the same set. Together with the Flying Lemur it makes a nice "mini diorama". well, sort of...

Ana

Lovely bats! Congratulations!

I have these two:

Both figures represent the same specie: Pteropus dasymallus - Ryukyu flying fox and both are Kaiyodo :) My fav is the one with tree :D Hope to find more bats to my collection soon :)

critter

Sooo jealous of that Kaiyodo National Monuments Flying Fox (the one in the tree--I think thats from the "monuments" series, but maybe I'm wrong).  Wonderful picture!

postsaurischian

Quote from: critter on December 19, 2012, 06:51:43 PM
Sooo jealous of that Kaiyodo National Monuments Flying Fox (the one in the tree--I think thats from the "monuments" series, but maybe I'm wrong).

It is indeed! But the series' correct title is 'Natural Monuments of Japan'. Here is my complete set :).

No.19  Pteropus dasymallus - Ryukyu Flying Fox

OkapiBoy

Hmmm, not very many bats in my collection. I know I have a couple from Yowie, need to find those :D

CM

There aren't a lot of bats out there that I'm aware of (figure-wise, I mean).  I'm new to the hobby so I'm not as aware of a lot of the Japanese brands and such, but I do really wish the Big Companies paid more attention to bat releases.  As it is, I'm only aware of the Incredible Creatures brown bat from Safari (they have a new release for 2013, can't remember which right now), but I'm not over-fond of the way they look.

Jetoar

I would like that other brands as Schleich will do species of bats  ^-^.

~The Mandarin~

Number 5 in the Ogasawara series is the Bonin flying fox (Pteropus pselaphon). The flying fox measures approximately 3.5cm in length. I couldn't find much info on this creature on the net so I'm not too sure what scale this is.

widukind

Jetoar

postsaurischian

They learned quite a lot from Kaiyodo's 'Natural Monuments of Japan' series ;) (I'm not using the word 'copied').
It's very obvious with this one and for example the purple hermit crab ..... but why not learning from the best ;D?

A great figure and the bananas are a nice touch too.

brontodocus

Beautiful! ^-^ As far as I've read it's a "smaller" Pteropus species at approx. 200-250 mm body length so it could be around 1:6 to 1:7. Most information available is about how close this one is to extinction... :-\

bmathison1972

Play Visions spotted bat:

EpicRaptorMan

Unfortunate that the only really good bat figures made by Western brands is the Papo one. And maybe the old Schleich Fruit fox.

Gwangi

The Safari TOOB little brown bat is great for its size. The Yowie bats are decent too, for what they are.

bmathison1972

the six PV bats are also very good (and for PV, not uncommon on eBay!)

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 16, 2024, 08:32:00 PMthe six PV bats are also very good (and for PV, not uncommon on eBay!)

That was a weird set. One of very few of only 6 figures.