News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Jellyfish

Started by Takama, August 01, 2013, 06:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

This one is sort of diffrent for the Forum.  At first glance, it looks like a real Jellyfish trapped in Glass. But i have my doupts that it is real, but its still beutiful to my Master.
I dont know much about the company that made this though.

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Interesting, I've seen similar things like this before. I can imagine that there is more than just one company who makes these? On the other hand, isn't the jellyfish's umbrella just an umbrella-shaped hollow space? and it seems the "tentacles" (they do not origin from the umbrellar margin, so technically these would be manubrial or oral arms rather than tentacles) are made by dragging paint through the glass as long as it's still liquid. But the effect is very nice, of course! :)

brontodocus

Good figures of jellyfishes have always been scarce, so I was very happy Kaiyodo included one in their new Aquatales resin line. Here is a walk-around of the Kaiyodo Aquatales Polyresin Aquatic animal figure collection Series 2 No. 003 Papuan or Spotted Jellyfish, Mastigias papua (Lesson, 1830). Length including oral arms is approx. 90 mm, diameter of the umbrella is 38 mm, so the scale is between approx. 1:3 and 1:6. This is a relatively small (umbrellar diameter approx. 100 - 230 mm) jellyfish belonging to the Rhizostomeae, a group of scyphozoan medusae which lack any tentacles but have eight instead of four manubrial or oral arms. Most Rhizostomeae feed on tiny microplancton which are sucked in through a multitiude of tiny openings in the manubrial arms rather than through a central mouth opening. Due to the lack of tentacles many (but not all) Rhizostomeae are relatively harmless and several species, e.g. the common Eastern Atlantic Rhizostoma pulmo (=R. octopus), have so weak nematocysts that they can be handled with bare hands without any significant irritations (though I must confess I once felt a very faint itching at my wrists after handling a large specimen last year). Mastigias papua itself has a wide geographic distribution from Indonesia to Japan, although it has been suggested that the taxon may have to be split up into several species with a much more restricted range. Perhaps the most notable occurence of this coastal and lagoon-dwelling species is the dense population in Jellyfish Lake on Eil Malk Island, Palau. Like many other invertebrates the Papuan Jellyfish has not been assessed by IUCN ("Not Evaluated" = NE), yet.

Edit 2017-02-05: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus