News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Parrots

Started by Takama, August 01, 2013, 02:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

This is the other bird figure that i have. Its a Red Crowned Amazon, which is a parrot that is often kept as a pet. Safari Ltd decided to just call there model a Green Parrot, instead of an Amazon.

Jetoar

Beatiful figure of this parrot, of this serie I only have in my hands the Hyacinth Macaw that it is a figure of my girlfriend ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

A very nice Amazon figure! :) I've been thinking of getting this one, too, for a while now.

Ana

Very very nice! Is it still available? I think it would be on my list from now :D

Takama

Labeled as just Cockatoo, this model is very special to me, because my Grandpa used to own living birds, including cockatoos.

Unfortunately, the figure is retired, and getting one could be a issue. I seen an opportunity to buy in on Amazon, and I ceased it.

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

stargatedalek

it really is
even tho its unavailable its tube counterpart is still available
its underwhelming by comparison to this one tho, lucky catch ;)

widukind

brontodocus

Congrats, I've never seen the WoW version before, I just have the smaller toob version.  :)

Nikko99

Are you sure it's retired? I still see it on their official website, and it's still available on MiniZoo.  What are the exact measurements btw?

Badger

Quote from: Nikko99 on January 24, 2018, 09:27:30 AM
Are you sure it's retired? I still see it on their official website.

At the time of the original post, it was retired. Safari Ltd has a habit of re-releasing figures after they retire them, and this is one of them.
(a.k.a. Ravonium, on the DTF and STS)

Nikko99

Quote from: Badger on January 24, 2018, 04:05:38 PM
Quote from: Nikko99 on January 24, 2018, 09:27:30 AM
Are you sure it's retired? I still see it on their official website.

At the time of the original post, it was retired. Safari Ltd has a habit of re-releasing figures after they retire them, and this is one of them.

Oh ok good to know! :)

Takama

OK so its been a long time since I showed off any of my new yowies, so here is one for you all to enjoy

Expect and Influxe of Walkarounds to be imported from my Yowie Collection thread on STS

Orange Bellied Parrot

Takama

So there are two color varient sof this models, but i choose to buy the green one because Green is there natural color in the wild.

bmathison1972

When it comes to domestic animals/pets I always prefer the wild type as well

bmathison1972

Walkaround of the scarlet macaw, Ara macao (Linnaeus, 1758) by National Collectibles Entertainment Association (NECA) - Ace Ventura 8" Pet Detective, released this year in 2019. The figure was sold as accessory to an Ace Ventura action figure based on the movie of the same name.

First a little discussion on the identity of this species. Before I researched it, I assumed this was a scarlet macaw because the cheeks are solid white (no red lines under the eyes) and the covets are predominately yellow, with some green highlights (the green highlights are not as pronounced on my figure as they are promotional pics of the toy). However the bird used in the actual movie for which this figure was based on was a green-winged macaw (Ara chloropterus). I did some more snooping around and apparently most companies confuse the identity of these species. The Safari LTD green-winged macaw has the correct color of the covet, but the face lacks the red lines. Mojo Fun released a scarlet macaw but has the red lines under the eyes?!? In 2015, Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. released a macaw for their Biology of the Amazon set; I am not sure which species it is, but the face looks like a scarlet macaw and the covets look like a green-winged macaw. For MY personal synoptic collection, I will use this Ace Ventura figure for the scarlet macaw and probably the Mojo Fun figure for the green-winged macaw. If any of you collect any of these, you can follow the morphology or manufacturers names. I'll stick with morphology.

Back to the figure. It is really well-detailed! The figure is 8.5 cm tall, making it approximately in the 1:10 scale range (average length of actual animal, 81 cm). The detail on the face and feathers is very well-done. The figure is designed to attach to the Ace Ventura figure's wrist, as such it can create some challenges for display. I made a branch out of Super Sculpey clay and painted it with acrylic paints before sealing it with satin varnish (see last four images).

With my custom branch:

I have been randomly picking up bird figures and haven't specialized on any groups yet, so I don't have many macaws for comparison. I do have the Kaiyodo Wild Rush hyacinth macaw however for comparative purposes:

Isidro

Oh! In this image I see the tertiary wing coverts as yellow indeed, as you said, and not green as I perceived them in the promotional picture!!!!!! So I will stick with your Scarlet macaw ID now :)

Very nice figure and fits very well with the Kaiyodo hyacinth macaw!

Advicot

Don't I take long uploading photos!

bmathison1972

Safari Ltd. 2023 African Grey Parrot:

stemturtle

African Grey Parrot, Psittacus erithacus, Safari Wings of the World, 2023

The image on the left shows the factory paint; on the right is a customized paint of the tail feathers.
Thanks to @bmathison1972 for introducing this grey parrot. I love this figure, but the red tail feathers do not match those of my pet parrot.
A bit of paint, and now I'm happy. It's a wonderful companion.