News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Deep-sea fish

Started by brontodocus, December 11, 2012, 12:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetoar

I like this figure. I bougth this figure in a shop that they have safari figures (very rare in Spain).
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Varanus

Quote from: brontodocus on December 30, 2012, 06:56:34 PM
I was about to write "the only true deep-sea fish Safari Ltd. currently offers" but it has apparently just been retired since I couldn't locate it on Safari's website anymore. :'(

Gasp!  That means I need to get one asap! :o

tyrantqueen

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

brontodocus

Quote from: Varanus on December 31, 2012, 05:03:00 AM
Gasp!  That means I need to get one asap! :o
Yes, I noticed that just when I wrote this thread and wanted to include a link to the figure at Safari's website and it was gone from there. :-\ I guess now is the right time to get one, seems to be still available through online stores (but for how long?).
Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 31, 2012, 07:59:20 AM
A bizarre looking animal, to be sure ;)
Yes, it's so strange how huge the mouth is but the cranium itself is actually really tiny and doesn't reach much behind the eyes.

Jetoar

My girlfriend is a deep sea lover and she like him  ^-^.

dinocat62

Great pics. Here are 2 lantern fish. Not labelled. These actually light up when squeezed. At least they used too.

brontodocus

Excellent, never seen those before! :o 8) So there is no info on the company then? :'( Where were they from?

dinocat62

I've had these a long time. Can't recall the company. It came with some other figures like a vampire squid and football fish. Not done that well. These I've never seen duplicated.

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Safari Ltd. Creatures of the Deep Black Loosejaw, Malacosteus niger Ayres, 1848. Total length is 165 mm, scale approx. 1:1 - 1:1.5. The last photo shows a comparison with the very similar AAA Loosejaw. Both are rather cartoonish with an oversized head and neither of them has the characteristic lower jaw that is open at the bottom. The colouration of both doesn't match the original which would be entirely black with only the two pairs of photophores on the head (the one under the eye should be red instead of green). The Safari Ltd. Creatures of the Deep figures are cast in a phosphorescent plastic which is partially concealed by the paint and additional phosphorescent spots were applied over the paint. These phosphorescent spots are absent in the AAA deep-sea fish which is why the glow-in-the-dark effect of the Safari Ltd. figures looks better.

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

Amazing figure. AAA figure are very similara but the glow of the dark is the star  ^-^.

brontodocus

Thanks, Jetoar! :) Well, the AAA figure glows in the dark, too, but more uniformly (considerably less atop where more paint is applied). But the phosphorescent spots on the Safari Ltd. figures really make the difference. :)

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on January 25, 2013, 11:41:16 PM
Thanks, Jetoar! :) Well, the AAA figure glows in the dark, too, but more uniformly (considerably less atop where more paint is applied). But the phosphorescent spots on the Safari Ltd. figures really make the difference. :)

I agree with you  ^-^.

Varanus

The glow in the dark spots are a nice touch, I wasn't aware of them on this figure. :)  Do others in this line glow?

tyrantqueen

I like that you included a photo of it in the darkness, that was a nice touch :)

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

brontodocus

Thanks, Varanus & tyrantqueen! :) Yes, the others from the series glow, too (and the AAA deep-sea fish as well, even the "batfish" which isn't really representing a deep-sea species). It was quite difficult to take the photos to make the phosphorescence visible. I tried this on all my glow-in-the-dark figures, some were better, some turned out really bad. The Safari Ltd. Black Loosejaw was probably the one that turned out best.

AnimalToyForum

Yeah, the glow in the dark phosphorescent spots are a great touch  8)

OkapiBoy

Safari's toob figures
[]

Jetoar

Really nice figures, a perfect gift for my girlfriend  ^-^.

sbell

I look forward to when these are available from the Canadian distributor. Everything here seems to move in a weird slow motion...

AnimalToyForum

Does the Safari Ltd tube come with documentation naming the individual species?