News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Deep-sea fish

Started by brontodocus, December 11, 2012, 12:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbell

Quote from: Jetoar on December 11, 2012, 09:21:43 PM
Amazing deeps seas. In Spain, we dont see this amazing figures  :(. I would like to have Colorata and Kaiyoodo fish in general but here this is impossible  :(.

We don't see them in Canada...or Europe, or Australia, or anywhere except Japan either. They are generally found through trading and buying online.

brontodocus

Yes, so for any of us it takes great efforts to get these. :-\ The only ones besides current figures by Safari Ltd. that are rarely offered within Europe (probably elsewhere, too?) may be the AAA figures which are also distributed by Animal Planet. I bought six of them boxed and BIN from a German seller:

...but I've not seen them since. But chances might still be there!

Varanus

Don't forget about these little fellows:   :)

Same species as Brontodocus mentioned previously.

sbell

Quote from: Varanus on December 12, 2012, 12:08:01 AM
Don't forget about these little fellows:   :)

Same species as Brontodocus mentioned previously.

Are those mini versions? Because where did you get those!? Those are great (I try to keep my fishes small).

brontodocus

Ah, no, I didn't forget those, Varanus :) You posted them before on DTF v.1 and I remember them! I like them, too.

Varanus

Glad you both like them! ^-^

They do appear to be mini versions of those AAA figures, I'd say they're knockoffs, but they're so much smaller.  I purchased them as bin figures several years ago at the Scripps (aka: Birch) Aquarium in San Diego, California.  They were mixed with PVs and other common bin figures.  I haven't been back in there since then, so I have no idea if they still carry them.

Jetoar

Thanks for share all. You have amazings collections of all  ^-^
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

OkapiBoy

Awesome deep sea fish collection. ;)

Ana

Yes, wonderful collections of deep sea fish!  :)
My all time favorite is Macropinna microstoma , it's so freak and alien looking species  :D

brontodocus

It's one of my favourites, too. :) The transparent dome that covers the eyes is so delicate that it is usually lost in sampled specimens and was thus discovered quite recently. Before that it was thought the animal looked like this:

Varanus

I knew I had some more deep sea fish! ;D

Anglerfish and Viperfish sp.  Unknown maker. COG Bitty Buckets.

sbell

Quote from: Varanus on December 15, 2012, 12:17:12 AM
I knew I had some more deep sea fish! ;D

Anglerfish and Viperfish sp.  Unknown maker.

Those are from COG Bitty Buckets!

brontodocus

Hey, they are very nice! :) They look very much like mini versions of the Safari Ltd. Anglerfish and Viperfish.

Varanus

Quote from: sbell on December 15, 2012, 12:18:08 AM

Aw, I do remember picking them out of a bucket! ;D  Are they rare?

Jetoar

Cool and cute figures  8).

OkapiBoy

Here are some from my collection :)
[

sbell

Quote from: Varanus on December 15, 2012, 01:03:59 AM
Quote from: sbell on December 15, 2012, 12:18:08 AM

Aw, I do remember picking them out of a bucket! ;D  Are they rare?

At one time I would have said no, they were in lots of dollar stores. Now, though, they seem to have disappeared from stores so they can be pretty tough (but not impossible) to find.

brontodocus

Nice deep-sea fish collection, OkapiBoy! :)
Oh, that's interesting, you seem to have two different versions of the AAA Viperfish and Footballfish! :o

Jetoar

You have a big collection of deep sea Okapiboy. Well done  ^-^.

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Incredible Creatures Pelican Eel, Eurypharynx pelecanoides Vaillant, 1882. If you stretch it out it's approximately 420 mm long. Pelican eels can grow to about 1 m length but they are normally more elongate and wouldn't really have a larger head than the figure has, so the scale is more or less life size. I was about to write "the only true deep-sea fish Safari Ltd. currently offers" but it has apparently just been retired since I couldn't locate it on Safari's website anymore. :'(

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.