News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Crocodilia - crocodiles, alligators, caimans & gharials

Started by postsaurischian, December 11, 2012, 07:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

Title says it all: Show your crocs :) !

Papo Nile Crocodile & infant

Jetoar

I would like that My fathers gift to me the Nile Cocodrile of Papo for Christmas  ^-^ . From my point of view , They have done an accurate figure  :).
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Hooray Papo crocodiles! :) I have the smaller one for a few weeks now. But haven't photographed it, yet.

So here is the AAA Alligator:

Alligator mississippiensis (Daudin, 1802); American Alligator Length 452 mm, scale approx. 1:6 - 1:12.

and the big momma by Safari Ltd / Incredible Creatures:

Alligator mississippiensis (Daudin, 1802); American Alligato. Length 481 mm, scale approx. 1:5 - 1:9. I like how it is a completely different approach of representing a crocodilian, not the usual mouth gaping "monster".

Crocodylus niloticus (Laurenti, 1768); Nile Crocodile. Safari Ltd. Incredible Creatures. Length 381 mm, scale approx. 1:10 - 1:18. Human figure is 1:14 scale. It's labelled "Walking Crocodile" and intended to be a Crocodylus porosus but the nuchal osteoderms suggest it's no Saltie but a Nile Crocodile instead.

A size comparison of Safari Ltd. Alligator with Babies, Walking Crocodile, and Papo Nile Crocodile.

Crocodylus niloticus preying on Aepyceros melampus (Impala). Takara Kaiyodo ChocoQ Animatales Amazing Animals! Ver. No. K12. Length approx. 87 mm, snout-vent length approx. 50 mm, scale approx. 1:46 - 1:53 based on Impala size. Human figure is approx. 1:50 scale.

Crocodylus porosus (Schneider, 1801); Saltwater Crocodile). Colorata Endangered Species Reptiles Box model No. 7. Length 181 mm, scale approx. 1:12 - 1:38. This one has the proper count and arrangement of osteoderms at its neck but they could be further back and a little less conspicuous. :-\

Oh, and finally... awww! ;D

Alligator sinensis Fauvel, 1879; Chinese Alligator, hatchling. Takara Kaiyodo ChocoQ Animatales Amazing Animals! Ver. No. K09. Egg length * width = 27 * 21 mm, scale approx. 1:1.5 - 1:2.7.

Jetoar

Crocodile with prey....... interesting. Thanks for share friend  ^-^.

Himmapaan

I love how the human figure is looking nonchalantly on as the Takara crocodile despatches the poor impala.  :))

postsaurischian

I really like the comparison shot of the three big ones, Andre.
Thanks for posting it! Such was my intention when opening the thread ;D.

brontodocus

Quote from: Himmapaan on December 11, 2012, 05:14:28 PM
I love how the human figure is looking nonchalantly on as the Takara crocodile despatches the poor impala.  :))
He may be some sort of attenboroughesque narrator... or he's thinking "Gustave, you might do as you like as long as it isn't my ankle!". ;D
Quote from: postsaurischian on December 11, 2012, 05:20:24 PM
I really like the comparison shot of the three big ones, Andre.
Thanks for posting it! Such was my intention when opening the thread ;D.
Oh, my pleasure, thanks for opening up the thread, Helge! :) Although I rarely do such comparison shots. Maybe I should keep such things in mind when I get new figures.

sbell

I don't have tons of crocs, but I do have a pic of the one Tomistoma figure:

And for good measure:

Schleich gavial:

K&M Gavial (from their Exotic Endangered Reptiles bin set):

brontodocus

Oh, is the Tomistoma by PV? So far I had several opportunities to bid on the Schleich Gavial but it normally ends up higher than I'd be willing to pay for it. I like the K&M one, have to check if that set is available somewhere. :) I have a PV/K&M sized small Gavial figure with attached magnet at our fridge... just checked, it only says "CHINA" underneath... still a good looking one, I should finally cut that magnet off and take a photo!

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on December 11, 2012, 10:16:57 PM
Oh, is the Tomistoma by PV? So far I had several opportunities to bid on the Schleich Gavial but it normally ends up higher than I'd be willing to pay for it. I like the K&M one, have to check if that set is available somewhere. :) I have a PV/K&M sized small Gavial figure with attached magnet at our fridge... just checked, it only says "CHINA" underneath... still a good looking one, I should finally cut that magnet off and take a photo!

I thought I put that there--yes, the Tomistoma is a PV.

As for the K&M set, that has been out of production for about 10 years now (along with anything good from them).  I know that a member from the DTF found some for sale about 4 years ago (Cordylus) but who knows what he still has, or if he can still find any (or would).

brontodocus

Quote from: sbell on December 11, 2012, 10:21:42 PM
As for the K&M set, that has been out of production for about 10 years now (along with anything good from them).  I know that a member from the DTF found some for sale about 4 years ago (Cordylus) but who knows what he still has, or if he can still find any (or would).
At least now I know it exists and have a name to search for! :) That doesn't mean I'll find one but it's one step forward.

stemturtle

Quote from: sbell on December 11, 2012, 06:03:13 PM
I don't have tons of crocs, but I do have a pic of the one Tomistoma figure:

An alternate version of the PV False Gharial, Tomistoma schlegelii, is the Gharial, shown below as figure # 7.  The False Gharial is listed on Schleichtiersammler as part of the PV Asian Animals Set.

Play Visions Crocodilians 1996

1.  Saltwater crocodile, Crocodylus porosus

2.  Dwarf caiman, Paleosuchus palpebrosus

3.  Black caiman, Melanosuchus niger

4.  Cuban crocodile, Crocodylus rhombifer

5.  Johnston's (= Freshwater) crocodile, Crocodylus johnsoni (= C. johnstoni)

6.  Orinoco crocodile, Crocodylus intermedius

7.  Gharial, Gavialis gangeticus

8.  American alligator, Alligator mississippiensis

My set was part of a box of 20 National Geographic Reptiles.
These crocs are smaller than the PV lizards; average length about 3.25 inches or 8.2 cm.

Varanus

Funny how the saltwater croc appears to be the worst of the bunch, or, its head at least.

sbell

Quote from: Varanus on December 12, 2012, 01:18:23 AM
Funny how the saltwater croc appears to be the worst of the bunch, or, its head at least.

I would argue that, as a Gharial, the #7 PV figure is second from the worst--snout is too thick and short. But when relabeled as False Gharial, it is just about right overall.

Jetoar

Nice crocodiles. The best figure is American Aligator, from my point of view  ^-^.

Varanus

Saltwater Crocodile by unknown makerK&M and white American Alligator by Safari.  The croc came with three snakes, a remote control landrover, and a Steve Irwin action figure ( :'().

Small crocs by an unknown maker.  Knockoffs are solid in color.  Identified as (Left - Right): Crocodile (Nile?), Crocodile (Freshwater), Gharial, Caiman (Spectacled?), Alligator (American), Crocodile (Saltwater?).

Jetoar

I have some littles figures as thhese. White aligator is amazing. Thanks for share friend ^-^.

sbell

The Steve Irwin sets were made by Wild Republic (K&M International).  They got the license and started to roll out the products right when he died--it was the worst possible timing for what could have been a really interesting (and, yes, lucrative) line.

brontodocus

A walk-around of the Incredible Creatures "Saltwater Crocodile", originally named "Walking Crocodile" (and stamped "Crocodile"). I disagree about the identification as a Saltwater Crocodile which is one of the crocodiles with the weakest neck armor and should have two more or less distinct longitudinal ridges in front of the eyes. Those are missing in the figure and the neck osteoderms look a lot like those of the Nile Crocodile,  Crocodylus niloticus (Laurenti, 1768). Total length is approx. 381 mm with a snout-vent length of 187 mm. For a Nile Crocodile the scale would be approx. 1:7 - 1:13 for an average and up to 1:18 for an exceptionally large individual. Here is the link to the figure at Safari's website: http://safariltd.shptron.com/p/incredible-creatures%C2%AE-saltwater-crocodile

Last photo is a size comparison of the IC Alligator with Babies, IC "Saltwater Crocodile" (formerly "Walking Crocodile"), and Papo Nile Crocodile.

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

He is very big. I think that this figure will be better with other colors (as colorata salta water)  ^-^.