Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Lubber Grasshopper (Safari Ltd - Smithsonian Collection)  (Read 7545 times)

Weaselfan93

• View Profile
Lubber Grasshopper (Safari Ltd - Smithsonian Collection)
« on: July 22, 2013, 06:18:13 AM »
Long ago in the 90's Safari had an incredible line of 2:1 scale giant insects that are very well sculpted and detailed. I have collected a few over the years. but recently i won the masterpiece of the entire collection; The rare Lubber Grasshopper! it was in almost perfect condition and a great price! i am so glad to finally have him, after all this entire line is long discontinued.
here he is:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 11:04:17 PM by animaltoyforum »

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Re: Safari ltd Smithsonian Collection Lubber Grasshopper
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 03:27:13 PM »
It's one of my favourite figures from the Smithsonian Collection, too (currently I have seven of them). Weaselfan93, would you add a few more photos to your first post? It would just make it a walk-around more properly that way. And the figure definitely deserves it! :)

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 05:08:27 PM »
Wonderful  Grasshopper. Is the firts time that I have seen this figure  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Weaselfan93

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 03:13:26 AM »
Thank you for the comments. Brontodocus, do you mean you have seven insects from the Smithsonian collection or seven lubber grasshoppers?

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 12:42:46 PM »
do you mean you have seven insects from the Smithsonian collection or seven lubber grasshoppers?
Oh, I've got seven different Smithsonian Collection figures, of course (Eastern Lubber Grasshopper, Stag Beetle, Walking Leaf, Morpho, Emperor Scorpion, Chinese Praying Mantis, and Green Darner)! :)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 08:26:42 PM »
Hands down this is one of the finest insect replicas made...and I have A LOT of them.

Andre, I think I have you beat; I have 9 of the Smithsonian Insects: lubber grasshopper; leaf insect; luna moth; stag beetle; Coprophanaeus dung beetle; cercropia moth caterpillar; Scolopendra centipede; Emperor scorpion; Chinese mantid...I may have a spider of some sort too but I can't remember. I think there was also a monarch butterfly (adult and caterpillar?)

I have a green darner and Morpho, but they are part of the Hidden Kingdom Line.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 09:02:33 PM »
Hands down this is one of the finest insect replicas made...and I have A LOT of them.

Andre, I think I have you beat; I have 9 of the Smithsonian Insects: lubber grasshopper; leaf insect; luna moth; stag beetle; Coprophanaeus dung beetle; cercropia moth caterpillar; Scolopendra centipede; Emperor scorpion; Chinese mantid...I may have a spider of some sort too but I can't remember. I think there was also a monarch butterfly (adult and caterpillar?)

I have a green darner and Morpho, but they are part of the Hidden Kingdom Line.
Oh, wait, Blaine, haven't I seen a photo of a Smithsonian Collection Flea a few years back on insectasynthetica? :o So you should have ten at least. :)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 09:15:46 PM »
yes, the FLEA! OK, I have 10 (at least)--and the flea is hands down one of the best insect figures made. I have only two others, with a fourth on the way...

tyrantqueen

• I am an AAAphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 10:43:46 PM »
yes, the FLEA! OK, I have 10 (at least)--and the flea is hands down one of the best insect figures made. I have only two others, with a fourth on the way...
You wouldn't happen to be making a Mucha Lucha reference there, would you?  >:D :))

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

dinocat62

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 05:56:27 AM »

I have these plus Monarch butterfly (4 legs!) and caterpillar, bumblebee with easily breakable wings, stage beetle. Other large Safari insects (but not listed Smithsonian): fire ant, red-legged tarantula, jumping spider, previously mentioned centipede.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 06:47:33 PM »

I have these plus Monarch butterfly (4 legs!) and caterpillar, bumblebee with easily breakable wings, stage beetle. Other large Safari insects (but not listed Smithsonian): fire ant, red-legged tarantula, jumping spider, previously mentioned centipede.

The monarch has four 'functional' legs; the forelegs are reduced (hence the common name for the family, brush-footed butterflies).

My non-Smithsonian (aka Wild Kingdom) Safari Insects include (but not limited to): Morpho butterfly; monarch (poseable wings); mantid (smaller than Smithsonian one and poseable); honeybee; fire ant; orange-barred sulfur butterfly; green swallowtail butterfly; tiger swallowtail butterfly; red ladybird; yellow ladybird; black widow; red-kneed tarantula; jumping spider; green darner dragonfly; desert scorpion (suspect Hadrurus). I am sure there are more but they are packed away (pending new shelving units) and I don't have an inventory.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 07:58:33 PM »
Strangely, the Smithsonian Collection Morpho is inaccurate because it has six legs! ??? But this is something many manufacturers got wrong, even the Furuta ChocoEgg Funny Animals 6 Agrias aedon narcissus has six legs and that one's a nymphalid, too. :-\

animaltoyforum

• Dr admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Plesiosaur Directory
  • Animal: Frilled lizard
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 11:06:13 PM »
It's one of my favourite figures from the Smithsonian Collection, too (currently I have seven of them). Weaselfan93, would you add a few more photos to your first post? It would just make it a walk-around more properly that way. And the figure definitely deserves it! :)

I'll echo this. I know it has been several years @Weaselfan93, but a full walk-around of this figire would be most welcome.