News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Sheep and Goats (Caprinae)

Started by brontodocus, July 12, 2013, 11:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

So it's been a while since I did the last one but, hey, here is the walk-around of the 2013 CollectA Wild Animals Tadjik or Bukharan Markhor, Capra falconeri heptneri Zalkin, 1945. Snout-vent length is 80 mm plus 9 mm tail, shoulder height 52 mm and the impressive horns are 45 mm long. This puts the scale between approx. 1:16 and 1:22. The human figure (Minimen Andreas Köpke) is 1:20 scale. While usually collectors may be disappointed by horns of animal figures being too blunt, soft, or unnaturally curved for safety's sake, the CollectA Markhor sports extremely pointy and rigid horns. Perhaps nothing for a three year old child but they do look phantastic.

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

Wonderful figure with a lot of details, thanks for sharing friend  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Here is the Papo Wild Animals 53017 Chamois, Rupicapra rupicapra (Linnaeus, 1758). Shoulder height is 59 mm and snout-vent length approx. 85 mm, so the scale is between approx. 1:12 and 1:14. Human figure (European Father by Miniland Los Amigos del Mundo) is approx. 1:13 to 1:14 scale.
A widespread species (though generally restricted to higher altitudes from Montane to Alpine zone) ranging from the Alps to the Carpathian Mountains, IUCN lists it as "Least Concern".

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

AnimalToyForum

Reminds me of my involvement with an exhibition at the Thinktank Birmingham Science Museum when we displayed a taxidermy specimen of a Chamois (among many other specimens). I was never completely sure, though, how does one pronounce the name Chamois?

Nice figure, by the way!

brontodocus

Thanks, Adam! :) Isn't it a french word? I guess it would be pronounced as such. It's easier in German since we use a different vernacular name: Gämse (or Gemse before the orthography reform in 1996).

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: brontodocus on February 04, 2014, 07:42:24 PM
Thanks, Adam! :) Isn't it a french word? I guess it would be pronounced as such. It's easier in German since we use a different vernacular name: Gämse (or Gemse before the orthography reform in 1996).

'Sham'-'Wah'? I'm not sure. Chamois leather, which I presume is the leather of a Chamois (?), is also known as a shammy. So I wondered if the animal was pronounced the same way. I suppose there's no one true way to say any word...

brontodocus

Hmm, since I've read that the leather is also called chamois... okay, I've just looked it up and -  :o what a surprise, apparently both pronunciations are correct:
http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/chamois
Or, wait, does it mean for the animal the pronunciation is the french version in British English and "shammy" in American English?

Jetoar

Wonderful acquisition  ^-^. In spanish its name is Rebeco o Gamuza If you are interested ^-^.

tyrantqueen

I always pronounced it "shamwah". Shammy seems a bit silly, in my mind.

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

Dragonwolf

I just got this figure and gotta admit, the details are astounding, especially it's horns. But shouldn't it be a little larger? I mean, Markhors are quite sizable animals.

widukind

Dragonwolf

Another nice and beautiful model from Papo. Again, the texture, colors and size of this majestic animal were flawlessly replicated. While Papo has not produced that many original (firsts) figures, it sure knows how to take existing figures to new heights as far as quality and enthusiasm are concerned. This Chamois model is but one of the many figures Papo did great on making it.

widukind

brontodocus

Walk-around of the CollectA Woodlands Himalayan Tahr, Hemitragus jemlahicus (C.H. Smith, 1826); item No. 88758, new for 2016. Snout-vent length is approx. 77 mm and shoulder height 60 mm so the scale is between approx. 1:12 and 1:17. Hallmark Keepsake Christmas Ornament Arthur "The Fonz" Fonzarelli is approx. 1:16.5 - 1:17 scale and The South American father by Miniland "Los Amigos del Mundo" is approx. 1:13 - 1:14 scale, respectively. The Himalayan Tahr has been introduced in Argentina, New Zealand, South Africa, and New Mexico. However, it's decreasing in numbers in its native countries and therefore IUCN lists it as "Near Threatened".

Edit 2017-02-04: Fixed broken image urls.

AcroSauroTaurus

Very nice figure, very majestic too, as if a male lion and a female goat had a baby. :)) Especially in that front view.
I am the Dinosaur King!

bmathison1972

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on September 10, 2016, 06:16:50 PM
Very nice figure, very majestic too, as if a male lion and a female goat had a baby. :)) Especially in that front view.

throw in a dragon and you have a chimera :)

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 11, 2016, 03:03:55 AM

A possible future release perhaps? ;)
I am the Dinosaur King!

brontodocus

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on September 11, 2016, 08:17:52 AM

Possibly... Papo and Safari Ltd already did that.  ;)

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: brontodocus on September 11, 2016, 12:49:06 PM
Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on September 11, 2016, 08:17:52 AM

Possibly... Papo and Safari Ltd already did that.  ;)

This reminds me, why is there no Mythical Creature Toy Forum? We have one for extinct animals, and one for living animals, but wheres the one for mythical animals?
I am the Dinosaur King!

Jetoar

Really beautiful figure  ^-^. Its nice to see Collecta have made this species  ^-^.