Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Scincomorpha - skinks, whiptails, true, girdled, plated & spectacled lizards ...

Started by postsaurischian, December 10, 2012, 05:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

I hope the thread's title is specific enough.
I also wanted to include the night lizards, but it wasn't possible because of too many letters.
Since it's the smallest subgroup of Scincomorpha, I left them out (which doesn't mean they should not be shown here).

I'm starting with three Kaiyodo miniatures :):
They are (from left to right):

* Natural Monuments of Japan No.32: Eumeces kishinouyei - Kishinoue's Giant Skink
* ChocoQ Animatales series 10 No.231: Zootoca vivipara - Viviparous Lizard
* ChocoQ Animatales series 9 No.214b: Takydromus smaragdinus - Green Grass Lizard

Kikimalou

Congratulation, I still have to put my hands on these beautiful models.
Here are mine, four YUJIN... Sorry for the bad pics.

Japanese green grass lizard - Takydoromus smaragdinus

Ryūkyū Five-lined Skink - Plestiodon marginatus

Kishinoue's Giant Skink - Eumeces kishinouyei

Eastern Water Skink - Eulamprus quoyii

sbell

Can't forget the XX Arizona Night Lizard! Probably not up to the Yujin/Kaiyodo standard...

tyrantqueen

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread... 8)

;D

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

brontodocus

Ha, now that's a thread how I like it! :) 8)

The Kaiyodo Zootoca vivipara is so nice I had to bring it to our field trips in April/May to fool our students. ;D Well, I'm not always lucky enough to catch a real one... A very interesting species, anyways, and what a huge geographic range, from Spain to Japan!

Wow, I wouldn't have thought any company had made a xantusiid! :o But, yes, it looks like one... is it also stamped Night Lizard?

There's nothing bad about your photos, Christophe! 8) I have a few of the Yujin lizards as well, I can't believe I never took photos of them. :-[ That's going to be changed, I'll promise!

Okay. Here's another Zootoca vivipara figure. Well, no match for the Kaiyodo, though...

Common lizard by E.L.C.

Tiliqua sp.; Blue-tongued Skink by AAA. Length 483 mm. The colour matches T. occipitalis but of course it's not clear if it hasn't been cast from one of the other Tiliqua species.

sbell

brontodocus

Ah, okay. But if it wasn't marked I guess a Xantusia would have been a possibility, that yellowish colour with these dark spots might suggest one at least. But if it's marked, even better! I have to remember where I bought the XX Phrynosoma... it was in a local store I believe, I should find out if there's a chance to get that xantusiid, too. 8)

tyrantqueen

postsaurischian

It's going to be a good thread.

That's right, Kikimalou - no bad pics at all .... your pics are well-known ... worldwide ;D!
                        (ah, and won't you forget to show us the next Papo Dinos at the DTF as soon as you see them ;).)

The AAA Blue-tongued Skink is so freakin' awesome! I WANT TO have it >:( ;D!

Kikimalou

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 11, 2012, 07:17:21 AM
It's going to be a good thread.

That's right, Kikimalou - no bad pics at all .... your pics are well-known ... worldwide ;D!
                        (ah, and won't you forget to show us the next Papo Dinos at the DTF as soon as you see them ;).)

The AAA Blue-tongued Skink is so freakin' awesome! I WANT TO have it >:( ;D!

;D Still not my favorite pics ! I hope I will show the wooly rhino soon.

Jetoar

Coool Figures AAA Skinkis alive. AAA have done good replies of reptiles. They are my favorites  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 11, 2012, 03:22:57 AM
Is it true that the AAA skink shows sign of an injury?
Not that I'm aware of. Did somebody say so? I would look for it to clarify, do you know where exactly that should be on the figure?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: brontodocus on December 11, 2012, 10:22:27 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 11, 2012, 03:22:57 AM
Is it true that the AAA skink shows sign of an injury?
Not that I'm aware of. Did somebody say so? I would look for it to clarify, do you know where exactly that should be on the figure?
Yes, a fellow on STS forum replied to my thread for my reptile collection, and this is what he wrote:

"Hey all,
nice collection. i also do collect larger casted reptile figurines. Despite colouration is wrong in nearly every case, casts of real animals are best to make them realistic,...
Unfortunately, some of them make it obvoious that the pose isn't natural and changed postmortem,....
Some even show signs of big wounds (AAA bluetongue skink).
"

I asked him to elaborate on the aforementioned wound, but he did not respond....

brontodocus

I've just taken it out of the box. There is indeed an iconspicuous, diagonal scar or fissure on the belly, approx. 30-40 mm long and approx. 40 mm behind the front legs. It's hard to notice and I doubt it would be visible if I made a photo of it. But there are many possible explanations. It could have been an animal that has been kept in captivity and had a scar (even from a surgery!), it coud have been a taxidermied specimen - there has to be a cut for taking out internal organs and stuffing the body with something else. I guess for any company outside Australia it's easier (and not criminal, Australia is very restrictive) to obtain a dead specimen that has been kept by somebody as a pet. At least, if I wanted to make a cast from one I'd ask a few people who keep them, many herp keepers put deceased animals in the freezer or in ethanol. Of course, some Tiliquas do occur outside of Australia, too, so it doesn't necessarily have to be from Australia if it was wild caught. It's really hard to tell where this one would have come from but I see no reason that convinces me that the animal has been purposely killed to make the cast.

Varanus

I found that I have surprisingly few scincomorphs.

Unknown maker.  The first is obviously based off Yujins aforeposted Japanese Green Grass Lizard.  I'm not sure on the second. ???

XX(?) Desert-Grassland Whiptail (2 variants) and Five-lined Skink.

copper

Quote from: brontodocus on December 10, 2012, 10:00:18 PM

Tiliqua sp.; Blue-tongued Skink by AAA. Length 483 mm. The colour matches T. occipitalis but of course it's not clear if it hasn't been cast from one of the other Tiliqua species.

i own an irian jaya blue tongue skink (tiliqua sp, currently undescribed), and i'm a member on a blue tongue skink forum; if you want to know the species of that AAA cast, i could ask around. there are quite a few experts on the forum that might be able to figure it out by looking the body shape of that model, since the colors are obviously a bit off.

brontodocus

Quote from: copper on January 03, 2013, 09:25:18 PM
i own an irian jaya blue tongue skink (tiliqua sp, currently undescribed), and i'm a member on a blue tongue skink forum; if you want to know the species of that AAA cast, i could ask around. there are quite a few experts on the forum that might be able to figure it out by looking the body shape of that model, since the colors are obviously a bit off.
If that's possible it may be really helpful so thanks in advance! :). If other characters are needed, e.g. head scales or something, I could take photos of those characters, too.

copper

Quote from: brontodocus on January 04, 2013, 10:10:16 AM
Quote from: copper on January 03, 2013, 09:25:18 PM
If that's possible it may be really helpful so thanks in advance! :). If other characters are needed, e.g. head scales or something, I could take photos of those characters, too.

i got an answer from the forum, you most probably have a male Merauke Blue Tongued Skink (Tiliqua gigas evanescens). here's the excellent reply:

"My guess is that it is a male merauke. The thing that seems a bit off is the tail, however, considering that it is molded from a deceased animal, I guess it is possible that the hemipenes swelled up postpartum. Or worse, they could have been swollen at the time of death (poor guy). If not for that swollen look, the tail looks gigas.

I am pretty sure only gigas and scincoides have elongated temporal scales, so that rules everything else out right away. It seems to have some jowls too, so back to gigas. Could be an IJ, but the thin tail still makes me go with merauke. The body/head proportions along with the tail and "bulge" are what make me say male.
"

i'll pm you some merauke identification info too : )

brontodocus

Hi copper, many thanks for your help in identifying this one. 8) Okay, I had a quick look at head photos of different Tiliqua species. The figure has 4 temporals on each side of the head and they are indeed elongated. So we can rule out occipitalis, multifasciata, and nigrolutea. Is the tail relatively shorter in scincoides compared to gigas? Of the approx. 483 mm total length 250 mm are snout-vent length and 233 mm tail length so the tail seems to be quite long for a Tiliqua. But if swollen cheeks are another character to separate gigas from scincoides then this will really bring us to Tiliqua gigas! :)

postsaurischian

^-^   Lizard set  by Nature Techni Colour / Kitan Club consisting of 8 different figures of 5 species:

1. Takydromus tachydromoides - Japanese Grass Lizard
    2. Plestiodon japonicus - Japanese Five-lined Skink, adult
    3. Plestiodon japonicus - Japanese Five-lined Skink, juvenile
    4. Takydromus Smaragdinus - Japanese Green Grass Lizard, female
    5. Takydromus Smaragdinus - Japanese Green Grass Lizard, male
    6. Hemidactylus frenatus - Common House Gecko
    7. Gekko japonicus - Schlegel's Japanese Gecko, with prey
    8. Gekko japonicus - Schlegel's Japanese Gecko

I know Geckos do not belong in this thread, but I wanted to show the complete set ;).