News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Chondricthyans

Started by sbell, December 09, 2012, 07:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

Quote from: Ana on December 14, 2012, 04:49:55 PM
I love Kaiyodo (I think Kaiyodo bottle cup?)  Whale shark, what an amazing figure!!  8)  :D

Yes, I love them too :)!
Here's another Kaiyodo Whale Shark - the Aquatales version:

....... and the Aquatales Scalloped Hammerhead:

Himmapaan

I agree, that Kaiyodo bottlecap whale shark is just gorgeous.

Varanus

Here's a few of mine that I haven't seen posted yet. :)

An odd collection of minis.  Tentative IDs L-R:  Manta Ray, Great White, Horn Shark, Saw Shark, Skate, Dogfish/Smoothound, Bull Shark, Hammerhead.

Adult and baby Great Whites by an unknown maker.  I believe they came with a shark cage and diver.

Basking Shark by an unknown maker.  Looks like something PV would make.

Random Nurse Shark, Hammerhead, and Sawfish x 2.

The ray's already been posted, but the Leopard Shark hasn't.  I can't remember if it's by K&M or Safari.

Tiger Shark, Hammerhead, and Whale Shark made by Action Products.  They came in a box with a cage and several divers.

Several inaccurate skates with gills on both the top and bottom! ::)

sbell

Quote from: Varanus on December 15, 2012, 12:00:00 AM

An odd collection of minis.  Tentative IDs L-R:  Manta Ray, Great White, Horn Shark, Saw Shark, Skate, Dogfish/Smoothound, Bull Shark, Hammerhead.

Those are from a company called FUL, who makes a pretty good set of sea life including sea cucumbers and anemones!

And the weird Basking shark and silver sawfish are from the same set--it was distributed by Play Visions, but isn't one of theirs.

Jetoar

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 14, 2012, 04:10:45 PM

:)  Kaiyodo Enoshima & Shinagawa Aquarium:

Blacktip Reef Shark

Whale Shark

Sand Tiger Shark

Kaiyoodo rules. I like all  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Jetoar

Quote from: sbell on December 15, 2012, 12:19:39 AM

Those are from a company called FUL, who makes a pretty good set of sea life including sea cucumbers and anemones!

And the weird Basking shark and silver sawfish are from the same set--it was distributed by Play Visions, but isn't one of theirs.

This figure of basking shark is beutiful. You have a nice colection.

brontodocus

Wow, there are a few I've not seen before! :o
And Helge, I still need to get me that Carcharias taurus figure! :)
Hey, I guess I have that FUL sawshark, too - and also the sea cucumber sbell mentioned! :)

Tiger Shark, Hammerhead, and Whale Shark made by Action Products.  They came in a box with a cage and several divers.
The Tiger Shark looks like a mini version of the Safari Ltd. MBA figure (or like a knockoff of the toob version)! :o

Two more Whale Sharks (along with the Aquatales Series 2 figure Helge just posted): Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour Ocean 1 figure (length 93 mm, scale approx. 1:47 - 1:129); paper model by Taiwan designer Civi Cheng from his book "Make My Own Ocean Animals" (length 281 mm, scale approx. 1:16 - 1:42).

And isn't it about time to post some of these here right now? :) I might post individual photos in the customs section later on, since I've painted all of mine, but for the moment...
Some Neko Works shark resin models by Masato Inoue:

The five on the left are (from top to bottom): Starspotted Smoothhound, Mustelus manazo Bleeker, 1854, length 107 mm, scale approx. 1:6 - 1:20; Greenland Shark, Somniosus microcephalus (Bloch & Schneider, 1801), length 86 mm, scale approx. 1:28 - 1:85; (Shortfin) Mako Shark, Isurus oxyrinchus (Rafinesque, 1810), length 95 mm, scale approx. 1:28 - 1:42; (Smooth) Hammerhead Shark, Sphyrna zygaena (Linnaeus, 1758), length 80 mm, scale approx. 1:33 - 1:62; †Stethacanthus, length 80 mm, scale approx. 1:8 - 1:9. The two remaining in the top row are: (Smalltooth) Sand Tiger Shark, Odontaspis ferox (Risso, 1810), length 100 mm, scale approx. 1:36 - 1:41 (the first dorsal is placed too far towards the frond to represent Carcharias taurus); Basking Shark, Cetorhinus maximus (Gunnerus, 1765), length 97 mm, scale approx. 1:52 - 1:101. Below these two is the Oceanic Whitetip Shark, Carcharhinus longimanus (Poey, 1861), length 90 mm, scale approx. 1:20 - 1:44. The flat one in the middle is the (Japanese) Angel Shark, Squatina japonica Bleeker, 1858, length 83 mm, scale up to 1:24. The remaining two on the lower right are  (Tawny) Nurse Shark, Nebrius ferrugineus (Lesson, 1831), length 99 mm, scale approx. 1:23 - 1:32 (I altered the pectoral fins and gave them a concave rear edge); and †Hybodus, length 91 mm, scale approx. 1:17 - 1:23.

Himmapaan

Quote from: brontodocus on December 15, 2012, 04:31:04 PM

Two more Whale Sharks (along with the Aquatales Series 2 figure Helge just posted): Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour Ocean 1 figure (length 93 mm, scale approx. 1:47 - 1:129); paper model by Taiwan designer Civi Cheng from his book "Make My Own Ocean Animals" (length 281 mm, scale approx. 1:16 - 1:42).

I want these so much.  :'(

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on December 15, 2012, 04:31:04 PM
Wow, there are a few I've not seen before! :o
And Helge, I still need to get me that Carcharias taurus figure! :)
Hey, I guess I have that FUL sawshark, too - and also the sea cucumber sbell mentioned! :)

The Tiger Shark looks like a mini version of the Safari Ltd. MBA figure (or like a knockoff of the toob version)! :o

And isn't it about time to post some of these here right now? :) I might post individual photos in the customs section later on, since I've painted all of mine, but for the moment...
Some Neko Works shark resin models by Masato Inoue:

The five on the left are (from top to bottom): Starspotted Smoothhound, Mustelus manazo Bleeker, 1854, length 107 mm, scale approx. 1:6 - 1:20; Greenland Shark, Somniosus microcephalus (Bloch & Schneider, 1801), length 86 mm, scale approx. 1:28 - 1:85; (Shortfin) Mako Shark, Isurus oxyrinchus (Rafinesque, 1810), length 95 mm, scale approx. 1:28 - 1:42; (Smooth) Hammerhead Shark, Sphyrna zygaena (Linnaeus, 1758), length 80 mm, scale approx. 1:33 - 1:62; †Stethacanthus, length 80 mm, scale approx. 1:8 - 1:9. The two remaining in the top row are: (Smalltooth) Sand Tiger Shark, Odontaspis ferox (Risso, 1810), length 100 mm, scale approx. 1:36 - 1:41 (the first dorsal is placed too far towards the frond to represent Carcharias taurus); Basking Shark, Cetorhinus maximus (Gunnerus, 1765), length 97 mm, scale approx. 1:52 - 1:101. Below these two is the Oceanic Whitetip Shark, Carcharhinus longimanus (Poey, 1861), length 90 mm, scale approx. 1:20 - 1:44. The flat one in the middle is the (Japanese) Angel Shark, Squatina japonica Bleeker, 1858, length 83 mm, scale up to 1:24. The remaining two on the lower right are  (Tawny) Nurse Shark, Nebrius ferrugineus (Lesson, 1831), length 99 mm, scale approx. 1:23 - 1:32 (I altered the pectoral fins and gave them a concave rear edge); and †Hybodus, length 91 mm, scale approx. 1:17 - 1:23.

Cool papercraft whale shark. Neko works have done a good miniatures. I like the painted of these figures.

postsaurischian

:) I especially like the painting of the Neko Works Angel Shark.
Maybe I'll show my unpainted ones when I have the time to take pics. This series has a certain charme :).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Colorata Whale Sharks:
left: 'Sharks of the World - Museum Model'
right: from the 'Sharks of the World - Sharks DX' box

sbell

I am learning something in this thread. 1, I don't have enough Neko sharks (I only have the 2 prehistoric ones, and I curse that I did not discover them in time to get the cookie cutter or greenland shark); 2, I have so very few Kaiyodo sharks! Given the number here, it's ridiculous how few I have! And I don't see me being able to fix that anytime soon.

Anyway, a few new additions.

These are stretchy ones made by Club Earth. There are actually 5, but the 5th one (a sawfish) didn't survive my kid's attention. It's boring anyway; the real gems are the last two:

From first to last: Manta ray, Eagle ray (bullnose?); proper dasyatid stingray, probably Atlantic stingray; and finally the Torpedo Ray!  This last one is really the reason to hunt down the set, it`s just so unique (unless there are others out there. Anyone?). And the photos don't do them justice, as they are fairly detailed; it's just too bad that they aren't released as solid figures like their Extinct Animals set.

brontodocus

At least, most of the Kaiyodo sharks are more or less available (okay, the price sometimes is another thing :-\). As for the Neko Works, I haven't seen anything new since the release of the Angelshark early in 2011. While I do hope to see further models I'm not sure if the line will not cease to exist, they seem to have become less regularly available at HLJ, lately. If you plan to get them, maybe you should not wait too long?
On the other hand, even if they may be soft and stretchy, those Club Earth rays are very nice (and I assume, harder to find than Kaiyodo sharks? :'(), I especially like the dasyatid and the Torpedo! :)

Jetoar

Quote from: sbell on December 16, 2012, 01:05:45 AM
I am learning something in this thread. 1, I don't have enough Neko sharks (I only have the 2 prehistoric ones, and I curse that I did not discover them in time to get the cookie cutter or greenland shark); 2, I have so very few Kaiyodo sharks! Given the number here, it's ridiculous how few I have! And I don't see me being able to fix that anytime soon.

Anyway, a few new additions.

These are stretchy ones made by Club Earth. There are actually 5, but the 5th one (a sawfish) didn't survive my kid's attention. It's boring anyway; the real gems are the last two:

From first to last: Manta ray, Eagle ray (bullnose?); proper dasyatid stingray, probably Atlantic stingray; and finally the Torpedo Ray!  This last one is really the reason to hunt down the set, it`s just so unique (unless there are others out there. Anyone?). And the photos don't do them justice, as they are fairly detailed; it's just too bad that they aren't released as solid figures like their Extinct Animals set.

Yes they are precios gems. Stingray is the best  :).

brontodocus

A walk-around of Wild Safari's 2012 Blacktip Reef Shark, Carcharhinus melanopterus (Quoy & Gaimard, 1824).
I've measured the figure at 142 mm total length. So with mature specimens ranging from 0.91 to 2.00 m (TL) the scale is approx. 1:7 - 1:14.
It fits well to the Underwater Adventurers "Michelle" and "Kevin" from the Incredible Creatures line by Safari Ltd. which are both approx. 1:12 - 1:13 scale.
Link to its official site at Safari Ltd. is here: http://safariltd.shptron.com/p/wild-safari%C2%AE-sea-life-blacktip-reef-shark/

By the way - since I've found my photos being used in ebay auctions without my permission recently I decided to use watermarked photos at least for such walkarounds. :P

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Varanus

Very cool figure, I'll definitely be getting one now! :)

Nice watermark btw. ;)

Jetoar

This shark is the favorite shark of my girlfriend. He is so cute for my girlfriend  ^-^.

Battatitan

To be honest I've never really noticed this shark before, but after seeing your pictures I couldn't resist to add that to my wish-list  -  it's beautiful! Many thanks for showing!  ^-^

brontodocus

Thanks all! :) Well, maybe Blacktip Reef Sharks are not the most popular sharks in figure form since they are quite small. But the characteristic colouration and the wide snout typical for most Carcharhinus species is well represented and it's one of the few pelagic shark species that is often shown in public aquaria (we even have one in Bochum, too).

Jetoar

I dont undertand why safari have painted this figure with brown color. I think that this shark is grey  ???

brontodocus

The brown colour isn't wrong (although they are often less dark brown and there seems to be some variation). They may appear more greyish underwater, though. The lateral stripe and the white zone below the first dorsal's black tip also match the colour scheme of the species quite well. :)