News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Chondricthyans

Started by sbell, December 09, 2012, 07:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbell

Well, it is time to start a thread fish based thread (you'll see what I did there...)

So I'm going to start from the tiny ones!

These are really small K&M sharks. Some are quite generic, so if anyone has opinions as to the species (or even family) be my guest:
Catshark?

Horn shark?

Some sort of ground/requiem shark?

Goblin shark

Frilled shark

Weird whale shark

Lantern shark

Hammerhead

Blue shark?

Basking shark?

Sand tiger/grey nurse shark?

Mackerel shark?

Jetoar

I share part of my collection of chondrictyans

I have more chondrictyans but I dont have images of them . I will take photographs ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

postsaurischian

Hurra :D!
A sharks, rays & chimaera thread is a pleasant duty for this forum.
I'm curious what we will see :).

Jetoar

I will share images chondricthyans of AAA, Safari and other brands  ^-^.

brontodocus

Yay, that's a great new topic. Sean, I'm envious of your lanternshark. :) The one in the first picture has a first dorsal that is quite forward and the lower lobe of the caudal looks too long for a catshark. My guess would be a triakid but I couldn't figure out which one would fit best, maybe a Triakis (other than semifasciata) itself?

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on December 09, 2012, 08:19:26 PM
Yay, that's a great new topic. Sean, I'm envious of your lanternshark. :) The one in the first picture has a first dorsal that is quite forward and the lower lobe of the caudal looks too long for a catshark. My guess would be a triakid but I couldn't figure out which one would fit best, maybe a Triakis (other than semifasciata) itself?

It's a great little figure--it came out of a bouncy ball! If I still worked where I got it I'd see if there were any left (it's easy--you slice the ball a bit and rip it in half!).

At some point I'll get other figures up here. But I just wanted to get this started.

brontodocus

Now that you mentioned they come from bouncy balls and since they're K&M (we sometimes get K&M figures in Germany, too), I should really pay more attention to bouncy balls with animals in them whenever I'm in a museum shop. Who knows, I might have already been in one were they were available! :o Of course I'll have to make sure the kids won't see what I'm doing with the ball at home... ;D ...or, yes, maybe get several of those.

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on December 09, 2012, 09:53:48 PM
Now that you mentioned they come from bouncy balls and since they're K&M (we sometimes get K&M figures in Germany, too), I should really pay more attention to bouncy balls with animals in them whenever I'm in a museum shop. Who knows, I might have already been in one were they were available! :o Of course I'll have to make sure the kids won't see what I'm doing with the ball at home... ;D ...or, yes, maybe get several of those.

After I brought the lantern shark home (removed from the ball) my son was the one who bought the rest (to be ripped apart). My kids have also torn apart a few turtle and dino balls.

Varanus

Cool K&M sharks! :)  One question though, is it possible that the Frilled Shark could actually be a six/seven-gilled shark?

brontodocus

Quote from: sbell on December 09, 2012, 09:56:25 PM
After I brought the lantern shark home (removed from the ball) my son was the one who bought the rest (to be ripped apart). My kids have also torn apart a few turtle and dino balls.
I am clinging to that hope my kids would react similarly when I should find them. (okay, chances aren't that bad maybe)! ;D
Quote from: Varanus on December 09, 2012, 10:16:14 PM
Cool K&M sharks! :)  One question though, is it possible that the Frilled Shark could actually be a six/seven-gilled shark?
Oh, that seems like a good suggestion. :) Would make the figure even more interesting since there are several frilled shark  figures around by now.

I realise I have a group photo of (most) of my chondrichthyan figures that I took in April and then forgot to post... well, then... ;D

Some later additions like this years WS Blacktip Reef Shark and the small PV sharks are not in the photo. At the very bottom of the photo are my NekoWorks sharks, all painted. Hmmm, there hasn't been a new Neko release since the Angel Shark, I hope the line isn't retiring... :-\

Jetoar

You have all figures of the world!. I have never see a biggest collection of miniatures  ^-^.

sbell

It has 7 gills, so that limits it.  But after looking at pictures, it probably is a 7-gill, the body isn't anguiliform enough. Which is grand--gives another species to the collection! If only I'd picked up at least one more...

As for getting the balls--they are pretty cheap (we sold them for $2) so you could just get 2 of each!

As for pictures, it's going to take me some time...it turns out i have 151 different figures of living chondricthyans. I probably won't take group shots though--I already have individual ones, but it takes forever to put them up.

brontodocus

Quote from: sbell on December 09, 2012, 11:10:34 PM
As for pictures, it's going to take me some time...it turns out i have 151 different figures of living chondricthyans. I probably won't take group shots though--I already have individual ones, but it takes forever to put them up.
And that's 50 more than what I have in my photo (which combines extant and extinct ones). So it may be hard to find a neutral background for getting all of them into one photo, anyways. I did this group shot in spring because I bought larger boxes for my chondrichthyan figures and before i stowed them away (which often means not seeing them in a while) I took the picture.

Jetoar

I will share with you images of Will Republic sharks. They are very tiny  ^-^.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: brontodocus on December 09, 2012, 10:39:07 PM
Quote from: sbell on December 09, 2012, 09:56:25 PM
I am clinging to that hope my kids would react similarly when I should find them. (okay, chances aren't that bad maybe)! ;D
Oh, that seems like a good suggestion. :) Would make the figure even more interesting since there are several frilled shark  figures around by now.

I realise I have a group photo of (most) of my chondrichthyan figures that I took in April and then forgot to post... well, then... ;D

Some later additions like this years WS Blacktip Reef Shark and the small PV sharks are not in the photo. At the very bottom of the photo are my NekoWorks sharks, all painted. Hmmm, there hasn't been a new Neko release since the Angel Shark, I hope the line isn't retiring... :-\

Wow, incredible collection :o

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on December 10, 2012, 09:15:10 AM
And that's 50 more than what I have in my photo (which combines extant and extinct ones). So it may be hard to find a neutral background for getting all of them into one photo, anyways. I did this group shot in spring because I bought larger boxes for my chondrichthyan figures and before i stowed them away (which often means not seeing them in a while) I took the picture.

Yeah, there is that too--I would need quite the wide-angle lens in order to fit everything. And considering how tiny some of them are, it wouldn't be very clear anyway.

And since I'm at it, more K&M sharks!

First, shark toob:

In order of appearance, from top to bottom:
Bull shark, Lemon shark, Leopard shark, Blue Shark, Japanese Sawshark (yes, a true sawSHARK), Zebra shark, Blacktip Reef Shark, Whale Shark, Hammerhead shark, Great White shark, Port Jackson horn shark, Tiger shark

These sharks are...okay. The sawshark is a good one, but the overall quality of this set is characteristic of most of K&M (=Wild Republic) these days--bad paint, bad sculpts, little creativity.

Compare to an older set from their heyday (~1998-2002):

The Exotic Sharks set (I only have a few of these still--I kept the rarest ones!):

From top to bottom:
Hammerhead shark, Whale shark, Swell shark, Caribbean reef shark, Lemon shark, Great white shark.

These were bin figures, but were great sculpts, great paint, and very dynamic. I only have the Swell and Reef shark now (I have pictures of everything I've had though!) and they are quite hard to find now as well.

Jetoar

Quote from: sbell on December 10, 2012, 04:03:15 PM
Quote from: brontodocus on December 10, 2012, 09:15:10 AM

Yeah, there is that too--I would need quite the wide-angle lens in order to fit everything. And considering how tiny some of them are, it wouldn't be very clear anyway.

And since I'm at it, more K&M sharks!

First, shark toob:

In order of appearance, from top to bottom:
Bull shark, Lemon shark, Leopard shark, Blue Shark, Japanese Sawshark (yes, a true sawSHARK), Zebra shark, Blacktip Reef Shark, Whale Shark, Hammerhead shark, Great White shark, Port Jackson horn shark, Tiger shark

These sharks are...okay. The sawshark is a good one, but the overall quality of this set is characteristic of most of K&M (=Wild Republic) these days--bad paint, bad sculpts, little creativity.

Compare to an older set from their heyday (~1998-2002):

The Exotic Sharks set (I only have a few of these still--I kept the rarest ones!):

From top to bottom:
Hammerhead shark, Whale shark, Swell shark, Caribbean reef shark, Lemon shark, Great white shark.

These were bin figures, but were great sculpts, great paint, and very dynamic. I only have the Swell and Reef shark now (I have pictures of everything I've had though!) and they are quite hard to find now as well.

I have some figures of this collection, I will share images of my collection  ^-^.

brontodocus

I have the newer K&M set, too. I bought it mainly because of the Port Jackson Horn Shark and the Sawshark.

Some Safari Ltd. / WS Sealife:

Cetorhinus maximus (Gunnerus, 1765); Basking Shark. Length 145 mm, scale approx. 1:34 - 1:68. Need to make a newer photo, I guess...

Pseudocarcharias kamoharai (Matsubara, 1936); Crocodile Shark. Length 169 mm, scale approx. 1:5 - 1:6.

Isurus oxyrinchus Rafinesque, 1810; Shortfin Mako Shark. Length 161 mm, scale approx. 1:18 - 1:25. Actually, this was the first Safari figure I ever bought in around 1998.

Carcharodon carcharias (Linnaeus, 1758); Great White Shark. Length 180 mm (SL 156 mm), scale approx 1:24 - 1:44. Yes, I know, not the best rendition of a Great White... :-\ which is a bit sad considering that others from the series are actually really good.

Carcharhinus melanopterus (Quoy & Gaimard, 1824); Blacktip Reef Shark. Length 142 mm, scale approx. 1:7 - 1:14. "Kevin" is approx. 1:12 - 1:13 scale.

Rhincodon typus Smith, 1828; Whale Shark. Length 221 mm (SL 195 mm), scale approx. 1:19 - 1:54. Human figure is approx. 1:50 scale.

Stegostoma fasciatum (Hermann, 1783); Zebra Shark. Length 122 mm. If it was an adult the scale would be approx. 1:14 - 1:19 but the colour pattern looks like that of a juvenile.

Carcharhinus leucas (Müller & Henle, 1839); Bull Shark. Length 155 mm, scale approx. 1:12 - 1:22.5. Andreas Köpke is 1:20 scale.

Sphyrna mokarran (Rüppell, 1837); (Great) Hammerhead Shark. Length 166 mm, scale approx. 1:15 - 1:37.

Triakis semifasciata Girard, 1855; Leopard Shark. Length 143 mm, scale approx. 1:7 - 1:14.

Rhina ancylostoma Bloch & Schneider, 1801; Shark Ray or Bowmouth Guitarfish. Length 130 mm, scale approx. 1:12 - 1:23.

Aetobatus narinari (Euphrasen, 1790); Spotted Eagle Ray. Length 135 mm (TL), width of disk 99 mm, scale approx. 1:10 - 1:33.

sbell

Honestly, the Sawshark was my main reason for getting the K&M toob.

As for Safari: TOOB SHARKS!

Sharks toob:

Top to Bottom: Leopard shark, Crocodile shark (labelled as Grey reef shark, but there's no way), Great White shark, Whale shark, Thresher shark, Blue shark, Tiger shark, Hammerhead shark, Mako shark, Stingray (Blue stingray? not clear).

Other toob sharks:

Galapagos shark (Galapagos toob)

Hammerhead shark, Tiger shark, Common eagle ray (Ocean toob)

Bat ray (Venomous creatures toob)

brontodocus

Yes, most of the toob figures are mini versions of larger MBA or WS Sealife figures and the "Grey Reef Shark" is clearly a mini version of the Crocodile Shark. Hmm, the ray's colour looks like a Blue or a Blue-spotted Stingray, Neotrygon kuhlii, but those denticles on the tail and the proportions look more like a rajid. However, I'm not aware of any rajids with blue spots like these.

Oh, this reminds me of another toob shark...

Chlamydoselachus anguineus Garman, 1884; Frilled Shark. Prehistoric Sealife Toob model. Length 105 mm, scale approx. 1:10 - 1:19. Now we know why his hands are posed that way - to hold the Frilled Shark! ;D