News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Aquarium Collections - Any Manufacturers?

Started by rustby1, June 07, 2013, 01:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustby1

Hi everyone,

I am new to this collectible scene and I am looking for fish figurines for a project I am working on.  I stumbled upon these Kaiyodo figures and they just blew my mind at how details and real they look while maintaining such a small scale.  http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/m/mSkhWfUVIQj2LLUV0C6anlA/140.jpg

Because I need a lot of them (50+) and they can be of all different varieties, I thought about just contacting Kaiyodo but its all in Japanese and I cannot really find a distributor either.  I notice theres a lot of them on sale on ebay, but has anyone tried to contact any manufacturers direct?

If anyone knows the best way to buy a group of them, that would be great, and it doesn't have to be Kaiyodo, but any company that has similar quality or better would be great.

Much appreciate the help!

Steven

sbell

Quote from: rustby1 on June 07, 2013, 01:01:58 PM
Hi everyone,

I am new to this collectible scene and I am looking for fish figurines for a project I am working on.  I stumbled upon these Kaiyodo figures and they just blew my mind at how details and real they look while maintaining such a small scale.  http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/m/mSkhWfUVIQj2LLUV0C6anlA/140.jpg

Because I need a lot of them (50+) and they can be of all different varieties, I thought about just contacting Kaiyodo but its all in Japanese and I cannot really find a distributor either.  I notice theres a lot of them on sale on ebay, but has anyone tried to contact any manufacturers direct?

If anyone knows the best way to buy a group of them, that would be great, and it doesn't have to be Kaiyodo, but any company that has similar quality or better would be great.

Much appreciate the help!

Steven

Kaiyodo ones are/were only available as prizes with drinks, candy, or in vending machines in Japan--you will not find a supplier for them, unless it is someone who has amassed a large number of them individually.

And yeah, their range and detail is great (although they are all about the same size, so scale is out the window!).

Other good comapnies that can be found as sets, etc include Colorata (Japan only, but there are sources and ways) and Safari, although the variety is incredibly limited compared to Kaiyodo. I'm afraid that the only way to get a wide range is to purchase them as lots in auctions or find a supplier that can help you out. There are Japan-auction services out there as well, but their fees can be incredibly high.

rustby1

Hi sbell,

Thank you for the helpful info.  When you say there are sources to get sets from places like Colorata or Safari, do you have any recommendations? Its such a shame its kept only in Japan!

sbell

Quote from: rustby1 on June 08, 2013, 05:25:17 PM
Hi sbell,

Thank you for the helpful info.  When you say there are sources to get sets from places like Colorata or Safari, do you have any recommendations? Its such a shame its kept only in Japan!

Safari are widely available in many zoo stores, toys stores and online.

Colorata is Japan only, but there are many ebay sellers (ig88droid is my usual go-to seller, and clawmark toys has been another favourite here). You do need to watch their auction prices, as they are quite variable. At retail, they usually cost about $30-$40, but given their difficulty to acquire some sellers ask much more.

rustby1

understood! I will give it a go!

Thanks again for being so helpful.  Hope it works out!

sbell

widukind

Need you freshwater or saltwater fishes??? :) :)

Also tropical fishes produced Schleich, but they are expensive now. But Maia+Borges have now the same and they are not so expensive.

Also exists a tropical fish toob by Safari Ltd and a older tube by K&M :)