Author Topic: Blaine's Bug of the Day  (Read 23044 times)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day
« Reply #520 on: July 29, 2017, 04:03:06 PM »
The roseate emperor, Eochroa trimenii.

One figure, a magnet by Doug Walpus Art Studio.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 29, 2017, 04:05:46 PM »
OK...one last one for now! This time, a plasterer bee in the genus Colletes.

One figure, by Play Visions (Bees, Wasps, and Hornets). With nearly 100 species in North America alone, I am not comfortable putting a species name on this figure. Still, it is probably the only member of the family Colletidae in toy/figure form.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 27, 2017, 05:55:41 PM »
The silver-bordered fritillary, Boloria selene.

One figure, by K&M International (Butterfly Nature Tube). This figure has been an 'unidentified' figure for years until a recent suggestion of B. selene was made by a forum member.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 18, 2017, 06:24:16 PM »
Time to update with a few new genera and species. First up, the enigmatic prehistoric crustacean, Dithyrocaris (several of these today will be extinct taxa).
I have two figures, both variants of the same sculpt, by Paleocasts.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 18, 2017, 06:26:19 PM »
Next the red wood ant, Formica rufa. Ants are common in bin sets but very rarely marketed below the family level. This single figure is a model kit by the French company Heller.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: October 18, 2017, 06:29:55 PM »
The enigmatic extinct arthropod, Leanchoilia superlata.

I have two figures, one main figure and a smaller version, by Paleocasts.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 18, 2017, 06:32:02 PM »
The extinct swimming crab, Portunites. This is a plaster cast by Fossil Molds and Replicas. Normally I wouldn't collect something like this, but it represented a new genus for me!

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 18, 2017, 06:35:23 PM »
Last one for the day, the Tully Monster, Tullimonstrum gregarium. I was at one point interested in this species, but then decided against it when it was considered a chordate related to lampreys. Apparently, at the time of this writing, it is now back among the invertebrates. Because of its enigmatic standing I will collect a couple figures that become available.

This first one was a 'freebie' given to me by Pat May (Paleocasts) when I ordered a bunch of arthropods from him.

Halichoeres

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 19, 2017, 10:08:23 PM »
Last one for the day, the Tully Monster, Tullimonstrum gregarium. I was at one point interested in this species, but then decided against it when it was considered a chordate related to lampreys. Apparently, at the time of this writing, it is now back among the invertebrates. Because of its enigmatic standing I will collect a couple figures that become available.

This first one was a 'freebie' given to me by Pat May (Paleocasts) when I ordered a bunch of arthropods from him.

It turns out the original paper put its thumb on the scale by sampling non-vertebrate taxa very poorly in the phylogeny. They almost couldn't help but recover it as a vertebrate. So it probably isn't one, but it does have a few curious vertebrate-esque features like pigment stains that look suspiciously like retinas.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 20, 2017, 01:25:22 AM »

It turns out the original paper put its thumb on the scale by sampling non-vertebrate taxa very poorly in the phylogeny. They almost couldn't help but recover it as a vertebrate. So it probably isn't one, but it does have a few curious vertebrate-esque features like pigment stains that look suspiciously like retinas.

It's still cool enough to have in my museum for the time being  ;D 8) C:-)