News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Turtles

Started by stemturtle, December 08, 2012, 03:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetoar

Cool turtle, Is the first time that I see this figure. I think that if he has another colors, He will be able to more accurate and realistic.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Quote from: animaltoyforum on December 28, 2012, 12:50:13 AM
Serves me right :-[ They might be extant, but surely turtles deserve a place alongside my extinct marine reptiles.
Hehe, underwater flight may qualify them to be placed along with plesiosaur figures? :) There are still some good marine turtle figures around, sadly none of the major companies makes a Leatherback Turtle. It would be a really nice species to add to Safari's Incredible Creatures line, by the way, since there are already many good turtles included there. 8)
Quote from: Jetoar on December 28, 2012, 10:29:53 AM
Cool turtle, Is the first time that I see this figure. I think that if he has another colors, He will be able to more accurate and realistic.
Yes, the figure dates back to a time when Safari's paints weren't as good as today, the colouration of the eyes is sloppy and the light spots are too large. The sculpt itself is very good and I can imagine that Safari Ltd. would give it a much better paint job today if it was still in production.

brontodocus

Another walk-around, this time it's the Incredible Creatures Alligator Snapping Turtle, Macrochelys temminckii (Troost, 1835). Like most (but not all) of the Incredible Creatures line it's a big and hollow figure (at least at the belly). Total length including tail would be approx. 246 mm if fully stretched out, carapace length is 117 mm, so the scale is approx. 1:4 to 1:7. Here's the link to its original site at Safari Ltd: http://safariltd.shptron.com/p/incredible-creatures%C2%AE-alligator-snapping-turtle

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Ana

It's wonderful turtle, unfortunately is sooo hard to find 8) Congratulations for having it!!!

brontodocus

Thanks, Ana! :) I guess I've bought mine just in time...

brontodocus

The Incredible Creatures line includes surprisingly many large-sized turtle replicas. One of my favourites is the one featured in this walk-around, the (Spiny) Softshell Turtle, Apalone spinifera (Lesueur, 1827). It has a total length of approx. 226 mm with a 118 mm long carapace, so the scale is between approx. 1:2 and 1:4. Here it is at Safari's website: http://safariltd.shptron.com/p/incredible-creatures%C2%AE-soft-shell-turtle

Jetoar

Thanks for share these images. I think that he is a perfect vesión of this animal. If you put this animal in a terrarium, the people will think that he is alive  8).

brontodocus

You're welcome, Jetoar! :) But, well, if you put your hand inside the terrarium the difference is obvious: All fingers are still there! :o ;D

Jetoar

I think tahat you have the safari biggest collection of the world. I like the texture and colors of this figure  8).

brontodocus

Hehe, thanks again, Jetoar. :) Of course I know several people whose collection is much more extensive than mine and also with more Safari figures. I have complete series of the Wildlife Wonders and MBA Collection but 47 of the Incredible Creatures, that's just about half of them.

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Incredible Creatures Galápagos Tortoise (adult), Chelonoidis nigra (Quoy & Gaimard, 1824). Once again a really big figure, length of carapace is approx. 150 mm which puts the scale anywhere between 1:6 and 1:9. Here it is at Safari Ltd's website: http://safariltd.shptron.com/p/incredible-creatures%C2%AE-tortoise-1
The Joan Collins figure is approx. 1:7 - 1:8 scale.

Jetoar

I remember the toraton of Future is Wild when I see this figure  ^-^.

brontodocus

Quote from: Jetoar on January 02, 2013, 03:38:58 PM
Did you know there's even a Japanese "The Future is Wild" figure set? I have the Toraton from that set, too... ;D

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on January 02, 2013, 07:14:37 PM
Quote from: Jetoar on January 02, 2013, 03:38:58 PM
Did you know there's even a Japanese "The Future is Wild" figure set? I have the Toraton from that set, too... ;D

Yes I know them  ^-^, my favorite is megas kid  :)). In Spain the name of mega squid is "Calafante"

brontodocus

Too bad I don't have the Megasquid... :'( When I got my set there were two Toratons and the Megasquid was missing. Didn't asked for a replacement and gave the spare one away... :-\

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on January 02, 2013, 07:23:55 PM
Too bad I don't have the Megasquid... :'( When I got my set there were two Toratons and the Megasquid was missing. Didn't asked for a replacement and gave the spare one away... :-\

Also the bird fish is a cool figure of this tiny collection.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: stemturtle on December 08, 2012, 07:35:49 PM
Thank you for your kind words, Jetoar, tyrantqueen, brontodocus, Himmapaan, and animaltoyforum.  It is wonderful to have the old gang here.  :) I did not paint the turtles. They were purchased already finished.  Kind of pricey now.

Brontodocus, your photos are amazing; professional quality.  $57 is correct for the unfinished snapper.  You would want to contact the seller to learn about international postage:
morganreptilerep @ rtelco.net. You could ask about the price for glass eyes. You would need to dress down the foam bottom, maybe cover it with felt.  Good luck.
Sorry for bringing this up so suddenly, but what do you mean by "dressing down"?

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

stemturtle

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 15, 2013, 08:11:18 PM

Sorry for bringing this up so suddenly, but what do you mean by "dressing down"?

Tyrantqueen, if you fill a mold too full with plaster, let it cure, then dump it out, you could grind down the bottom of the cast to make it smooth.

Dressing down is a term used on the Product Details page to explain that some figures have flashing or a bottom made of foam that can be ground down with a Dremel tool:
http://www.reptilereplicas.com/html/product_details.html

Jetoar

Amazing figures of turttles  ^-^ I like all  ^-^.

brontodocus

Walk-around of the large version of the AAA Hawksbill Turtle, Eretmochelys imbricata (Linnaeus, 1766). Cast from an original (juvenile) specimen and stamped "SEA TURTLE", the arrangement of overlapping scutes on the carapace (which has a serrated margin, too) and the distinctive overbite resembling the beak of a bird of prey clearly identify it as a Hawksbill Turtle. Total length is 440 mm, carapace length * width = 345 * 286 mm. Despite being hollow, it's still a heavy figure at 1909 g. AAA has made at least one cheloniid figure that is still larger, the large version of the Green Sea Turtle, Chelonia mydas. But I've also seen at least three different AAA Hawksbill Turtles which were all smaller than the version shown here.

Edit 2017-02-06: Fixed broken image urls.