News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Turtles

Started by stemturtle, December 08, 2012, 03:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

It turned out excellently, stemturtle! :)
Quote from: stemturtle on June 26, 2013, 12:23:41 AM
A count of 3 toes on each hind foot is typical for the Florida box turtle, although some populations have 4 toes, as does this model.  T. c. bauri is the only Eastern subspecies having a dark-colored carapace with radiating yellow lines.  Skillcraft did not print the scientific name, so this ID is just my opinion. What do you think?
Sounds reasonable! And really, when it comes to identifying a turtle I'd rather ask you than the people at Skilcraft! ;D Species ids by manufacturers are often enough doubtful, anyways...

stemturtle

Quote from: brontodocus on June 26, 2013, 10:50:41 AM
It turned out excellently, stemturtle! :)
Quote from: stemturtle on June 26, 2013, 12:23:41 AM
A count of 3 toes on each hind foot is typical for the Florida box turtle, although some populations have 4 toes, as does this model.  T. c. bauri is the only Eastern subspecies having a dark-colored carapace with radiating yellow lines.  Skillcraft did not print the scientific name, so this ID is just my opinion. What do you think?
Sounds reasonable! And really, when it comes to identifying a turtle I'd rather ask you than the people at Skilcraft! ;D Species ids by manufacturers are often enough doubtful, anyways...

Thanks, brontodocus.  Glad you caught my misspelling of Skilcraft.  I made corrections.

widukind

Great turtles collection!! I also like that all the names because i have no books about turtles but i like all this species. Especially the Laramie figurines are interesting  :) :) :) :) :)

You know also the Colorata "Turtles of Japan" set with 4 figurines???

stemturtle

Quote from: widukind on June 26, 2013, 04:42:09 PM
Great turtles collection!! I also like that all the names because i have no books about turtles but i like all this species. Especially the Laramie figurines are interesting  :) :) :) :) :)

It is great that you have joined this forum, widukind.  I do not have the Colorata Turtles of Japan.  Do you have photos of these?  There is a
listing
on eBay for a book about these.  I will name them as best I can:

Kusagame, Reeve's turtle, Mauremys reevesii
Ryukyu yagagame, Ryukyu leaf turtle, Geoemyda japonica
Nihon ishigame, Japanese pond turtle, Mauremys japonica
Yaemyama semaruhakongame, yellow-marginated box turtle, Cuora flavomarginata

These native species seem to be the subjects of many figures.

Correction: the common name for Cuora flavomarginata is yellow-margined rather than yellow-marginated.

widukind

Quote from: stemturtle on June 26, 2013, 06:19:09 PM
Quote from: widukind on June 26, 2013, 04:42:09 PM

It is great that you have joined this forum, widukind.  I do not have the Colorata Turtles of Japan.  Do you have photos of these?  There is a
listing
on eBay for a book about these.  I will name them as best I can:

Kusagame, Reeve’s turtle, Mauremys reevesii
Ryukyu yagagame, Ryukyu leaf turtle, Geoemyda japonica
Nihon ishigame, Japanese pond turtle, Mauremys japonica
Yaemyama semaruhakongame, yellow-marginated box turtle, Cuora flavomarginata

These native species seem to be the subjects of many figures.

Thank you, here is a pic

stemturtle

The beautiful photo of these 4 turtles is a nice addition to this topic. Thanks, widukind.

widukind

Quote from: stemturtle on June 26, 2013, 08:40:31 PM
The beautiful photo of these 4 turtles is a nice addition to this topic. Thanks, widukind.

Thank you  :)

~The Mandarin~

Quote from: brontodocus on June 26, 2013, 10:20:16 AM
Wonderful walk-around as always, The Mandarin! :) Love your "underwater" shots! ^-^

Thank you! It's fun experimenting with different angles, scenes, lighting and a bit of photoshop. I never really know how the pic will eventually turn out.  8)

KathyAnderson

I think turtles are cute! xD

And I like your picture with the four turtle figures, widukind!
I like Puppy in my Pockets and Littlest Pet Shop.
~Kathy~

Takama

widukind

Quote from: KathyAnderson on June 28, 2013, 10:27:22 PM
I think turtles are cute! xD

And I like your picture with the four turtle figures, widukind!

Thank you  :)

stemturtle

Antique figure of Eastern box turtle, Terrapene carolina (unknown maker)

Play Visions and antique box turtles

The antique figure is 2.5 inches, 6.5 cm, shown with the PV turtle for scale.
The seller on eBay did not have information about it. 
The weight suggests alabaster. I like the realism.
Where is the dividing line between a toy and a collectible?

Takama

brontodocus

Ah, good to see that there are visible photos again in this walk-around, so thanks for that, Rex! :) Of course, I hope TQ's photos will return, too. :)

Jetoar

The last saturday, I bougth  one of this in a toy store that they had promotional toys of film Oceans  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Rex on August 01, 2013, 02:56:08 AM
Um, your pictures are gone. Is there a proplem?
I already explained this two times: the photos are gone because my account was deleted out of spite by someone who I thought was my friend :( I will restore them one day, I just have other things to do right now

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

brontodocus

stemturtle

The Blanding's turtle, Emys (or Emydoidea) blandingii, by AAA has two problems: the colors and the sculpting. Total length is 3.75 inches, 9.5 cm. The major deficiencies can be corrected using acrylics and Milliput putty, as attempted here. The yellow throat is a field mark. Like the European pond turtle, Emys orbicularis, the Blanding's turtle has a notched upper jaw, expressing a smile.

AAA Blanding's turtle and customized version

Although this is a threatened species in Minnesota, a record population estimated at 5,000 turtles is located about 2 hours southeast of Saint Paul along the Mississippi River bottoms. 

Available from Veghead.com .

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Battatitan

Great repaint, Stemturtle  :D Your customisation shows that AAA's models are actually very nice and a little more attention to colouration would vastly increase their attractiveness.