Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Frogfish (Furuta - ChocoEgg Series 6)  (Read 4160 times)

animaltoyforum

• Dr admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Plesiosaur Directory
Frogfish (Furuta - ChocoEgg Series 6)
« on: March 22, 2013, 12:03:10 AM »
Walk-around of the frogfish by Furuta. Anyone know what species it represents? The plastic is slightly translucent, which gives a watery feel to the figure.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Re: Frogfish (Furuta - ChocoEgg Series 6)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 03:07:36 PM »
I recall it's meant to be Antennarius striatus, the Striated Frogfish. :) It's very variable in colour but this one comes close: http://www.fishbase.us/photos/UploadedBy.php?autoctr=837&win=uploaded

animaltoyforum

• Dr admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 07:43:22 PM »
I recall it's meant to be Antennarius striatus, the Striated Frogfish. :) It's very variable in colour but this one comes close: http://www.fishbase.us/photos/UploadedBy.php?autoctr=837&win=uploaded

Ah yes, that's a good match. It seems other frogfish may lack the lure? Unless is it sexually dimorphic?

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 09:48:26 AM »
As far as I know the illicium (or "lure", the modified anteriormost dorsal ray) is present in all frogfishes and in both sexes. However, there are some species in the order Lophiiformes outside of Antennariidae without an illicium. And in the deep-sea Ceratioidea which are highly sexually dimorphic the dwarfed males don't have an illicium either.

animaltoyforum

• Dr admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
As far as I know the illicium (or "lure", the modified anteriormost dorsal ray) is present in all frogfishes and in both sexes. However, there are some species in the order Lophiiformes outside of Antennariidae without an illicium. And in the deep-sea Ceratioidea which are highly sexually dimorphic the dwarfed males don't have an illicium either.

Thanks for the explanation, Andre.