News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Creatures that give you the heebie jeebies

Started by AnimalToyForum, December 08, 2012, 01:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 25, 2014, 02:08:59 AM
sorry for the bump, but I figured with this sort of topic/section bumps don't especially matter(?)

I don't mind large spiders, in fact I adore them, its the smaller ones that make me nervous, because they are so much harder to recognize, and more likely to be dangerous (statistically speaking, obviously there are still large dangerous spiders too)
fortunately none of our native spider species are dangerous to people

deep sea fish, I am probably one of a few people who would actually describe deep sea hatchetfish as "cute" (I love their little sad faces)
creatures such as viperfish, lancetfish, and wasps I tend to find a sort of sublime elegance to them (even if in person I would be reluctant to approach a wasp)

the only animal that I consider myself to have a phobia of would be dogs

Wow :( that's to bad, because dogs could be great things

Does a Cutie like this give you the Heebie Jeebiess?

My little Rex.  For a While I pretended to be him on this Forum, but I got tired of acting like a Dog.   But I added Rex to my User name so It could seem like we use it together (Despite his inability to actually use a computer)

stargatedalek

hes so sweet x3
its just large dogs that scare me, and I don't think they look scary, I'm just scared of them

Takama

I can see you being scared of larger dogs.   Pit Bulls give you nightmares?

but in reality every dog is different. Some are always happy, and can be great companions.

Others are more aggressive.   Besides Rex, I Also have Two Mix breeds Named Bear and Saleena. and they have different personality's.

When we have to take them to the vet. Bear(Right) is easy going, and listens to us. But Saleena(Left) is more Aggressive, and she got vicious and became un cooperative without restraint.

stargatedalek

its hard to explain, I don't think they look scary, I'm just scared because a dog I don't know beforehand, I don't know what its capable of
also my cousins lab threw me down the stairs by accident when I was little, that probably is connected :P

my cousins lab looks similar, and i had an accident when i was little... it pretty much threw me down the steps by accident. i do like dogs though. www.anydogrescue.org/benadryl-for-dogs/ is something I care a lot about. All animals I love so much.

John

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 25, 2014, 02:08:59 AM
sorry for the bump, but I figured with this sort of topic/section bumps don't especially matter(?)

I don't mind large spiders, in fact I adore them, its the smaller ones that make me nervous, because they are so much harder to recognize, and more likely to be dangerous (statistically speaking, obviously there are still large dangerous spiders too)
fortunately none of our native spider species are dangerous to people

deep sea fish, I am probably one of a few people who would actually describe deep sea hatchetfish as "cute" (I love their little sad faces)
creatures such as viperfish, lancetfish, and wasps I tend to find a sort of sublime elegance to them (even if in person I would be reluctant to approach a wasp)

the only animal that I consider myself to have a phobia of would be dogs
If you'll notice in the video,the guy trying to catch the spider is wearing a helmet for protection,but there is no visor or anything over his eyes.So if that spider were to jump into the right spot,it would end up inside his helmet on his face! >:D If that happened to him he would likely wet himself. ;D

stargatedalek

^ that would have been hilarious
I'm fairly certain its a huntsman spider, harmless

Thylakeane

Spiders. It began when we (me and my brothers) were playing with the Lego untill we noticed a huge spider in the lego bin. I've been scared of them since.
Its gotten even worse a few days ago, when one crawled over my shoulder.....
Also ticks, I'm not really scared of them but they just look disgusting when they're sucked full of blood.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: Thylakeane on September 17, 2014, 09:09:28 PM
Spiders. It began when we (me and my brothers) were playing with the Lego untill we noticed a huge spider in the lego bin. I've been scared of them since.
Also ticks, I'm not really scared of them but they just look disgusting when they're sucked full of blood.

Yeah, spiders do it for me too if they are big, it is irrational. It's that time of year too, I've come across several biggies in my flat in the last week or so. My girlfriend captures them and releases them - I'm a wimp!

sbell

Quote from: animaltoyforum on September 18, 2014, 12:24:06 AM
Quote from: Thylakeane on September 17, 2014, 09:09:28 PM

Yeah, spiders do it for me too if they are big, it is irrational. It's that time of year too, I've come across several biggies in my flat in the last week or so. My girlfriend captures them and releases them - I'm a wimp!

And here I am hand-feeding live ants to a spider in our garden!

I don't think there's really much I get creeped out by. Clowns, maybe? Mimes? Do those count?  ;D

But I have no real issues handling or being around most squishy or scaly things.

stargatedalek

venomous snakes make me nervous, but I wouldn't say I'm afraid of them

WiseWolf

The only animal I really don't like is the crane fly (or "daddy-long-legs" as it's commonly known).  I like insects in general, but those things just creep the Hell out of me. It's not that I'm afraid they'll hurt me, I know they're completely harmless, they're just ... nasty. I think it's all those long spindly legs and the way they fly at you and try to dangle them on your face, ugh!!

Quagga

Neh!! Neh!! Neh!!

Newt

Venomous snakes? Crane flies? Bees? You guys are all crazy. Those animals are just adorable.

Deformed aquarium fish make me sad and uncomfortable. Parrot cichlids, balloon mollies, bubble-eye goldfish, anything dye-injected...I'm tearing up a little just thinking about the poor little buggers.

Quagga

Neh!! Neh!! Neh!!

Newt

Of course! I love them!

In the river behind my house is a small island covered with driftwood and wild cucumber vines. At a certain point of the summer, it absolutely swarms with cicada killers- huge, beautiful wasps who have pretty specific requirements for their burrows, and tend to congregate where suitable burrowing conditions are found. I've often swam across to the island and just sat on a handy log and watched these gorgeous, thumb-sized insects circling their territories and diving at one another. Good times!  :D

And how can you see a fat, fuzzy little bumblebee and not want to pet it?

Special bonus: cranefly

Extra special bonus: cottonmouth!

WiseWolf

Ugh! Just looking at that crane fly pic makes my skin crawl. The snake is beautiful, though. Bees and wasps are very fascinating - as I said, I like most insects, it's just crane flies that creep me out. I honestly don't know why.

Hercules beetle

Slugs do it for me. especially those round brown ones with bobbly bits on their backs... 

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: WiseWolf on October 03, 2014, 09:25:47 PM
Ugh! Just looking at that crane fly pic makes my skin crawl. The snake is beautiful, though. Bees and wasps are very fascinating - as I said, I like most insects, it's just crane flies that creep me out. I honestly don't know why.

Odd that crane flies should be your trigger, @WiseWolf, if you aren't also creeped out by spiders. They basically look like gangly spiders with wings!

I've been finding lots of house spiders in my flat recently and I have to admit, I don't like the look of them! My wife usually traps them in a glass and frees them into the wild, although I captured one today. Animal phobias are probably hard-wired into our brains to some extent, but if that's the case, wouldn't all humans have identical animal phobias? What is it about spiders that so many people are put off by?

Badger

Quote from: Isidro on July 07, 2018, 03:23:26 PM
Humans.

Nice one :D

Me personally, parasitic worms are the only creatures that truly give me the heebie jeebies.
(a.k.a. Ravonium, on the DTF and STS)