News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Rainbow fishes

Started by OkapiBoy, February 23, 2013, 09:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbell

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 15, 2017, 10:09:44 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on August 26, 2014, 12:55:53 AM
the title should probably be changed to "rainbow of fishes"
I was rather confused upon first reading and seeing no rainbow fish :P

I too was surprised, twice, first by seeing an entire thread devoted to melanotaeniids, and then by seeing it devoted to all fish except sharks.

Would somebody be kind enough to identify the maker of these tetras?

It's a freshwater fish line from Bandai. There were also some guppies and cory cats. I think there were 4 paint variants of each sculpt.

Halichoeres

Quote from: sbell on November 15, 2017, 10:15:33 PM

I too was surprised, twice, first by seeing an entire thread devoted to melanotaeniids, and then by seeing it devoted to all fish except sharks.

It's a freshwater fish line from Bandai. There were also some guppies and cory cats. I think there were 4 paint variants of each sculpt.

Thanks! I might have to pick some up. Although they seem to be missing their adipose fins.
Where I try to find the best version of every prehistoric species: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0

sbell

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 16, 2017, 02:48:51 PM
Quote from: sbell on November 15, 2017, 10:15:33 PM

Thanks! I might have to pick some up. Although they seem to be missing their adipose fins.

They vary in their availability...I've never pursued them, but the one cory I have is nice. And the base is quite elaborate for a small fish!

Apparently there were secrets as well...you can get the whole set of 15 right here! https://lavitsfigure.com/products/bandai-dg-digital-grade-tropical-fish-gashapon-15-trading-collection-figure-set

Halichoeres

Thanks for the link, Sean. Having just completed a dissertation on tetras, I feel like I should have a few tetras. I picked up these and the Marmit bottle cap figures. Maybe when all the Safari dinosaurs are available I'll add their piranha.
Where I try to find the best version of every prehistoric species: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0

stargatedalek

I have to recommend the Safari piranha, I have one and quite adore it.

I've looked at those Bandai fish in the past but I could never justify buying the entire set for myself with so many being repaints. Can't wait to see some up close shots and have some ID's.

sbell

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 17, 2017, 08:32:01 PM

I've looked at those Bandai fish in the past but I could never justify buying the entire set for myself with so many being repaints. Can't wait to see some up close shots and have some ID's.

I will second this for two reasons--1) FISH! FIGURES! 2) It is really nice...and piranha are strangely uncommon as far as figures go, given their popularity and familiarity. The Kaiyodo bottlecap one is of course better... ;)

Halichoeres

Quote from: sbell on November 17, 2017, 10:39:26 PM

I will second this for two reasons--1) FISH! FIGURES! 2) It is really nice...and piranha are strangely uncommon as far as figures go, given their popularity and familiarity. The Kaiyodo bottlecap one is of course better... ;)

I looked that one up and it was like $100. It's a nice figure, but jeez. Kinda wanna pick up the dorado, too.

sbell

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 18, 2017, 06:29:25 PM
Quote from: sbell on November 17, 2017, 10:39:26 PM

I looked that one up and it was like $100. It's a nice figure, but jeez. Kinda wanna pick up the dorado, too.

The piranha is expensive, yeah. I was able to get a Dorado of YAJ for fairly cheap, but of course those fluctuate a lot.

JimoAi

Screenshot_20210107_152406.jpg anyone able to ID this species?

JimoAi

Here's my favourite group to collect alongside the Batoideas: the coral reef bony fish IMG_20210326_003053_50.jpg

sbell

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on December 20, 2016, 07:47:11 AM
My Bony Fish. (decided to include the deep-sea ones too)

Figures:
Safari Ltd. Deep-Sea Creatures Toob Black Dragonfish
Safari Ltd. Deep-Sea Creatures Toob Gulper Eel
K&M Bicolor Angelfish
Safari Ltd. Deep-Sea Creatures Toob Humpback? Angler Fish
Chap Mei Great Barracuda
Animal Planet Swordfish (retired)
Safari Ltd. Venomous Creatures Toob Stonefish
Cretaceous Collectibles Enchodus (my own figure line)
Safari Ltd. IC Green Moray
Safari Ltd. Deep-Sea Creatures Toob Hatchetfish
China Blue Marlin
China Blue-fin Tuna
Safari Ltd. Deep-Sea Creatures Toob "Viperfish"
China Flying Fish
China Rubber Porcupine Fish (squirts water)

@AcroSauroTaurus are you still working on the Cretaceous Collectibles figures? Because I could still really use an Enchodus!

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: sbell on March 27, 2021, 04:39:42 PM
Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on December 20, 2016, 07:47:11 AM
My Bony Fish. (decided to include the deep-sea ones too)

Figures:
Safari Ltd. Deep-Sea Creatures Toob Black Dragonfish
Safari Ltd. Deep-Sea Creatures Toob Gulper Eel
K&M Bicolor Angelfish
Safari Ltd. Deep-Sea Creatures Toob Humpback? Angler Fish
Chap Mei Great Barracuda
Animal Planet Swordfish (retired)
Safari Ltd. Venomous Creatures Toob Stonefish
Cretaceous Collectibles Enchodus (my own figure line)
Safari Ltd. IC Green Moray
Safari Ltd. Deep-Sea Creatures Toob Hatchetfish
China Blue Marlin
China Blue-fin Tuna
Safari Ltd. Deep-Sea Creatures Toob "Viperfish"
China Flying Fish
China Rubber Porcupine Fish (squirts water)

@AcroSauroTaurus are you still working on the Cretaceous Collectibles figures? Because I could still really use an Enchodus!

No I'm not unfortunately, a lot of stuff has happened in my life recently that kinda put it as an abandoned project. Not to mention I moved a few years ago and the sculpts broke in the move...
I am the Dinosaur King!

NSD Bashe

My Mahi-mahi set:

mahimahi.jpg

The one with the stand is the recognizable Colorata figure; the other two however, are unbranded.

This one appears very similar to the Kaiyodo Aqualand figure, although with differences in the pectoral/pelvic fins.  It is a hard plastic and seems "vintage"

mahimahi2.jpg

And this one feels a rather hollow/thin kind of stiff plastic - while the brand is unknown, I've found very similar ones listed on Amazon as "Westmon Works" and "Star International" so either of those could be the makers of this one as well

mahimahi3.jpg