This walk-arounds section is being phased out and replaced by the Animal Toy Blog. The board is set to 'reply only' and topics are being migrated to the blog or moved to a different board. Please consider contributing new reviews to the Animal Toy Blog instead.

Author Topic: Tiger Shark (AAA).  (Read 4450 times)

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
Tiger Shark (AAA).
« on: February 22, 2013, 09:04:19 PM »
Hello friends, these are the figures of Tiger Shark (Sand Tiger Shark) (Carcharias taurus) Rafinesque, 1810 of  AAA. Total lenght is 260mm in the great figure and 101mm in the little figure.

AAA is famous for do a lot of figures of animal and they were one of the first brands to do replies of animals and they have done the figures of my childhood. The sculpt, colors, proportions and stand are not bad. This figure is cool, but other version are more accurate, but in its time, they are one of the best figures of this specie. I think that if it had more humpback, will be better and the cub are more similar a carcharinid species than odontaspid. This figure is one of the firsts figure of AAA of my collection and my father bought it to me 16 years ago in Disneyland ParĂ­s.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 08:41:36 PM by animaltoyforum »
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Re: Tiger Shark (AAA).
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 09:27:13 PM »
So the two small ones are identical then? :) I'm not sure if AAA had Carcharias taurus in mind when they produced the big one, "Tiger Shark" would normally suggest Galeocerdo cuvier (which it obvously cannot be since the figure's rostrum is not wide and truncate). The first dorsal is too far forward for a Largetooth Sandtiger, but the Smalltooth Sandtiger, Odontaspis ferox, has a dorsal that's further forward than that of C. taurus. But again, it's still not too close to the original (and do we know if the sculptor even knew about Smalltooth Sandtigers?). At least the pointed, apparently conical rostrum suggests a lamniform shark, so the interpretation as an odontaspidid makes sense. :)

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 10:58:10 PM »
So the two small ones are identical then? :) I'm not sure if AAA had Carcharias taurus in mind when they produced the big one, "Tiger Shark" would normally suggest Galeocerdo cuvier (which it obvously cannot be since the figure's rostrum is not wide and truncate). The first dorsal is too far forward for a Largetooth Sandtiger, but the Smalltooth Sandtiger, Odontaspis ferox, has a dorsal that's further forward than that of C. taurus. But again, it's still not too close to the original (and do we know if the sculptor even knew about Smalltooth Sandtigers?). At least the pointed, apparently conical rostrum suggests a lamniform shark, so the interpretation as an odontaspidid makes sense. :)

I think that the sculptor used a dissected specimen of O. ferox from my point of view to do this figure  ^-^.

sbell

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 11:09:40 PM »
Hah! I had one of the big ones hanging in my high school locker! Alongside a bi Monterey Bay White shark (now that thing could hurt someone). Also had the little one, stuck to a magnet, in the locker. Don't have them anymore though.

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 11:50:02 PM »
Hah! I had one of the big ones hanging in my high school locker! Alongside a bi Monterey Bay White shark (now that thing could hurt someone). Also had the little one, stuck to a magnet, in the locker. Don't have them anymore though.

^-^ AAA figures were very currently 20 years ago, I will repaint my figures to eraser the scuffs  ^-^.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal