News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

New on Ebay

Started by AnimalToyForum, December 07, 2012, 11:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manicundead

sbell

That's a lot of Ibex...

tyrantqueen

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

tyrantqueen

AnimalToyForum

sbell

Check out this Colorata Arowana! http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Retired-Colorata-animals-Fossil-Fish-RED-TAIL-GOLDEN-AROWANA-PVC-Figure-/151144522532?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2330ea6324

The biggest surprise to me (other than the $100 asking price!) is that, somehow, the seller got hold of my figure and is selling it...or he poached my photo off the web. Jerk. Did the same thing with the colorata 'indonesian' coelacanth and arapaima. I guess it's time to start properly watermarking everything correctly.

brontodocus

Quote from: sbell on November 10, 2013, 06:38:00 PM
Check out this Colorata Arowana! http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Retired-Colorata-animals-Fossil-Fish-RED-TAIL-GOLDEN-AROWANA-PVC-Figure-/151144522532?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2330ea6324

The biggest surprise to me (other than the $100 asking price!) is that, somehow, the seller got hold of my figure and is selling it...or he poached my photo off the web. Jerk. Did the same thing with the colorata 'indonesian' coelacanth and arapaima. I guess it's time to start properly watermarking everything correctly.
It has been ended but I can still see it: Yes, that would be your ruler (and your background and of course your photo), Sean! >:( Apparently the seller is a frequent reader of our forum, too (read below for other examples). Perhaps also because it's a continuously growing resource of photos made by collectors? But when somebody makes a living by selling figures, putting serious collectors off isn't good for her or his reputation. Not only will the photographer most likely never buy anything from such a seller but this impudent disrespect of other people's intellectual property may discourage others to buy, too.

Other current examples by the same seller:
Aquatales Loggerhead Turtle Baby: First two photos are mine, see photos 7 and 8 of this post.
Kaiyodo Study Room Bongo: Photo is by Harriet (hkhollinstone) from her blog.
Kitan Club Japanese Toad: All five photos are mine and they are from my walk-around here on the forum. The seller tried to cut off my watermarks but failed somehow. ;D In one case it's still readable! ::)
Kaiyodo Kyoto Aquarium Giant Salamander: First seven (!) photos are by Helge (postsaurischian), all from his walk-around.
I'm curious about how long these photos will remain in the listings. ???

I've noticed the unpermitted usage of my photos months ago and I had been thinking about asking the seller to remove my photos. However, I think it's pointless to start a conversation with such a person because commercial usage of other people's intellectual property without permission seldom happens unintentionally. To make it clear: who ever looks at my walk-arounds, feel free to copy everything you like to your harddisk or share with others as much and as often as you like. But do not use any of it commercially without my permission and/or pretend it was your intellectual property instead of mine. I assume other members who contribute to our forum would think the same about their photography. Furthermore, frequent unpermitted usage of photos made by our members may discourage them from further contributing here, so it is something we can't simply ignore. And yes, Sean, watermarking your photos may help a little (against all but the most brazen ones, see the incident with the Kitan Club Japanese Toad >:( ) but of course it takes additional time.
Without watermarking I would have published still more walk-arounds than I did (I have lots of photos ready for another 20 or so walk-arounds) but the additional time needed to watermark the pictures somehow slows me down. :-\

Edit: And before I forget, of course I have copies of the current state of those abovementioned four listings on my harddisk. Just in case.

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on November 10, 2013, 09:22:47 PM
Quote from: sbell on November 10, 2013, 06:38:00 PM

It has been ended but I can still see it: Yes, that would be your ruler (and your background and of course your photo), Sean! >:( Apparently the seller is a frequent reader of our forum, too (read below for other examples). Perhaps also because it's a continuously growing resource of photos made by collectors? But when somebody makes a living by selling figures, putting serious collectors off isn't good for her or his reputation. Not only will the photographer most likely never buy anything from such a seller but this impudent disrespect of other people's intellectual property may discourage others to buy, too.

Other current examples by the same seller:
Aquatales Loggerhead Turtle Baby: First two photos are mine, see photos 7 and 8 of this post.
Kaiyodo Study Room Bongo: Photo is by Harriet (hkhollinstone) from her blog.
Kitan Club Japanese Toad: All five photos are mine and they are from my walk-around here on the forum. The seller tried to cut off my watermarks but failed somehow. ;D In one case it's still readable! ::)
Kaiyodo Kyoto Aquarium Giant Salamander: First seven (!) photos are by Helge (postsaurischian), all from his walk-around.
I'm curious about how long these photos will remain in the listings. ???

I've noticed the unpermitted usage of my photos months ago and I had been thinking about asking the seller to remove my photos. However, I think it's pointless to start a conversation with such a person because commercial usage of other people's intellectual property without permission seldom happens unintentionally. To make it clear: who ever looks at my walk-arounds, feel free to copy everything you like to your harddisk or share with others as much and as often as you like. But do not use any of it commercially without my permission and/or pretend it was your intellectual property instead of mine. I assume other members who contribute to our forum would think the same about their photography. Furthermore, frequent unpermitted usage of photos made by our members may discourage them from further contributing here, so it is something we can't simply ignore. And yes, Sean, watermarking your photos may help a little (against all but the most brazen ones, see the incident with the Kitan Club Japanese Toad >:( ) but of course it takes additional time.
Without watermarking I would have published still more walk-arounds than I did (I have lots of photos ready for another 20 or so walk-arounds) but the additional time needed to watermark the pictures somehow slows me down. :-\

Edit: And before I forget, of course I have copies of the current state of those abovementioned four listings on my harddisk. Just in case.

I actually did contact the seller, and requested either attribution or removal. As far as I know, he's opting for removal. But it turns out a tersely (but not rudely) worded message should be enough. Plus, the reminder that I could just contact ebay itself. One of my main issues? That a buyer wouldn't be getting what they see because it's mine, and I'm not selling it, which makes the sale dishonest (unless the seller states specifically the the image is a stock photo).

brontodocus

At least good to know he does not ignore copyright claims, so he removed his listing with the Asian Arowana as a reaction to your request then? However, he should not have used any other person's photos in his auctions in the first place.

AnimalToyForum

pachyrhinosaurus

AnimalToyForum

Some rare/retired Schleich/Safari reptiles and amphibians. Plenty more open lots from the same seller :)

AnimalToyForum

sbell

Quote from: animaltoyforum on December 21, 2013, 12:25:55 AM
Nice set of Play visions sharks :) Not sure about the divers though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121238012757?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D121238012757%26_rdc%3D1

I remember some of these sets--never saw ones with extra plastic people though (but I had those from other dollar store sets). Did have some random teeth, and even a (fake) shark tooth 'necklace'!

But in terms of some really unusual figures:

One of the 3-pack of Club Earth extinct animals!

AnimalToyForum

AnimalToyForum

Britain's Vintage Zoo Animals. Includes elephants, tiger, lion, orangutan, crocodile.

tyrantqueen

eBay seller zaligani has lots of retired Kaiyodo Aqualand fish for sale, as well as some other bits and pieces. The starting price for the fish isn't too bad, but the crocodile is insane...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=aqualand&_sop=10&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_armrs=1&_ssn=zaligani&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR7.TRC1.A0.Xkaiyodo&_nkw=kaiyodo&_sacat=0

sbell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 19, 2014, 09:49:37 PM
eBay seller zaligani has lots of retired Kaiyodo Aqualand fish for sale, as well as some other bits and pieces. The starting price for the fish isn't too bad, but the crocodile is insane...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=aqualand&_sop=10&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_armrs=1&_ssn=zaligani&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR7.TRC1.A0.Xkaiyodo&_nkw=kaiyodo&_sacat=0

I've seen that--it is the first time I saw the silver arowana for sale, but I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a broken figure.