This walk-arounds section is being phased out and replaced by the Animal Toy Blog. The board is set to 'reply only' and topics are being migrated to the blog or moved to a different board. Please consider contributing new reviews to the Animal Toy Blog instead.

Author Topic: (Short-finned) Pilot Whale (CollectA - Sea Life)  (Read 9179 times)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
(Short-finned) Pilot Whale (CollectA - Sea Life)
« on: February 14, 2013, 04:34:42 PM »
Walk-around of the CollectA Sea Life (Short-finned) Pilot Whale, Globicephala macrorhynchus Gray, 1846. Total length is 188 mm, so the scale is between approx. 1:27 and 1:38 for a fully mature specimen. The human figure from the Safari Ltd. Coral Reef Toob is approx. 1:32 scale. I like this figure very much and it's even possible to identify it to species level (diagonal light stripes originating behind the eyes and relatively short flippers). I would have preferred it if it had been cast in black instead of dark grey vinyl, though. The high but laterally strongly compressed tail peduncle is a character that is often ignored in cetacean figures (not all whales have that extremely compressed tail peduncles, though).

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 11:23:18 PM by brontodocus »

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
Re: (Short-finned) Pilot Whale (CollectA - Sea Life)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 05:29:42 PM »
wonderful reply of this animal, the most common dolphin of my area: The Strait of Gibraltar  ^-^. One of my possible acquisitions in a future  ^-^. Thanks for sharing again ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 11:54:30 PM »
Its close relative, the Long-finned Pilot Whale, G. melas, may be even more common throughout the Northeast Atlantic - the only whale I've ever encountered in the wild, that was off Galicia where it's called caldeirón (in Galego). :) But I believe both species occur around Spain.

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 12:15:45 AM »
Its close relative, the Long-finned Pilot Whale, G. melas, may be even more common throughout the Northeast Atlantic - the only whale I've ever encountered in the wild, that was off Galicia where it's called caldeirón (in Galego). :) But I believe both species occur around Spain.

Sorry the especie of Strait of Gibraltar is G. melaena  :). In Sapnish is "Calderon" or "Ballena piloto"  ^-^

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 08:26:33 AM »
Sorry the especie of Strait of Gibraltar is G. melaena  :). In Sapnish is "Calderon" or "Ballena piloto"  ^-^
Yes, G. melas and G. melaena are actually the same. However, at least from distribution maps, G. macrorhynchus would also occur around Spain but doesn't go as far north as G. melas does.

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 09:25:05 AM »
Yes, G. melas and G. melaena are actually the same. However, at least from distribution maps, G. macrorhynchus would also occur around Spain but doesn't go as far north as G. melas does.

Thanks for your information friend, I didnt know that melas and melaena are the same specie  ^-^

Ana

• View Profile
    • my website: Horse and Bird
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 01:09:35 PM »
Wonderful newcomer, thank You for sharing very nice walk around photos! :D

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 05:06:29 PM »
Thanks in return, Ana! :) And I'm very happy that it's such an accurate figure.

Battatitan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 09:16:01 PM »
G. melas and G. melaena are the same species? That's so interesting.  :)) And of course, it's great to have (both) in such great figure form  :D

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 11:05:49 AM »
G. melas and G. melaena are the same species? That's so interesting.  :)) And of course, it's great to have (both) in such great figure form  :D
Yes, G. melaena is a synonym of G. melas. But I'm not aware of a figure properly representing it, the CollectA figure (just like the Kaiyodo Aquatales figure) is the short-finned species, G. macrorhynchus. Except for the absence of the light stripe behind the eye and longer flippers, G. melas looks identical to G. macrorhynchus, though.

Battatitan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 01:15:45 PM »
Yes, G. melaena is a synonym of G. melas. But I'm not aware of a figure properly representing it, the CollectA figure (just like the Kaiyodo Aquatales figure) is the short-finned species, G. macrorhynchus. Except for the absence of the light stripe behind the eye and longer flippers, G. melas looks identical to G. macrorhynchus, though.

Ah I see  ^-^ My mistake  :-[ It's still a great figure, whatever the species!  :))

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 11:23:52 PM »
CollectA Pilot Whale images are back. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal