News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Canids

Started by brontodocus, February 11, 2013, 10:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Safari Ltd. Wild Safari North American Wildlife Coyote, Canis latrans Say, 1823. Shoulder height of the figure is 47 mm so the scale is approximately 1:13 to 1:14. The human figure ("European Father" from Miniland "Los Amigos del Mundo") is 1:13 to 1:14 scale, too.
The coyote can be found here at Safari Ltd.: http://safariltd.shptron.com/p/wild-safari%C2%AE-north-american-wildlife-coyote

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

Very nice figure, teh bestd etail is the head, thanks for sahring again friend. I think that the brand should do more figures of other members of Canidae  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sbell

As someone who lives closely near coyotes, I have to say--the sculpt is good, but the colouring is weird.  The thik=ck black line is heavily exaggerated from any I have seen--most are the simple greys and browns. And are usually fuzzier (up north here anyway!).

Ana

Very nice figure, I have it too and I like it :D Thank You for great walk around, I like very much Your photos Brontodocus :D

brontodocus

Thanks, Jetoar, sbell, and Ana! :)
Quote from: sbell on February 11, 2013, 03:58:21 PM
As someone who lives closely near coyotes, I have to say--the sculpt is good, but the colouring is weird.  The thik=ck black line is heavily exaggerated from any I have seen--most are the simple greys and browns. And are usually fuzzier (up north here anyway!).
I believe - apart from individual variation - that black line may be more distinctive in some subspecies and mostly absent in others. The Eastern Coyote, C. l. thamnos, seems to have the stripe quite often:

Admittedly, the contrast of the stripe with the rest of the body appears to be quite harsh in the figure's colouration. And the photo does indeed show one of the more fuzzier ones.

Takama

I used to have a freind named Chyna, and she was one of these Pooches, Saddly, she died from some horrible Tumers :'(

My owner bought this model to help us remember her, dispite the fact that it is a Male.

brontodocus

It will never be able to replace her but it's a very nice sculpt, indeed! :)

Jetoar

I am sorry for Chyna, Its ia great detail  :-\. Thanks for sharing this cool figure :).

sphyrna18

I like this figure.  The black stripe doesn't seem to be too pronounced compared to the Eastern Coyotes in my neck of the woods.  This figure definitely represents an Eastern Coyote, though, as opposed to any of the western coyotes.

Eastern Coyotes are thought to be, most likely, all descended from Coyote x Eastern Wolf (Canis lupus lycaon) hybrids, which accounts for their larger size and different dental structure and social structure (they do form a stable, self-sustaining subpopulation now, though).  They are significantly larger than their midwestern and western counterparts; even the smallest female Eastern Coyotes are about 20% larger than the largest male Western Coyotes.  Male Eastern Coyotes routinely reach weights of 75 pounds, with some estimates as high as 80 pounds or more, and they stand as tall as 26" (66cm) at the shoulders.   

Eastern Coyotes in the southeastern US tend to be very similar in structure to the Red Wolf (Canis lupus rufus or Canis rufus; the taxonomy is still unresolved), and many are not convinced the Red Wolf is a unique species of canid or even a unique subspecies of Grey Wolf (Canis lupus), but instead believe that Red Wolves are nothing more than coyote x wolf hybirds.  Regardless, it is known that Red Wolves and Eastern Coyotes are very similar, and Eastern Coyotes in the southeast often look much more like Red Wolves than like Coyotes.

It's my opinion that the Wild Safari Coyote looks most similar to these Red Wolf-like Eastern Coyotes in both structure and coat pattern. But then again, I could be wrong.

Takama

Here is the my little Wolf.

brontodocus

A very friendly looking wolf that is! :)

Jetoar

I love its stalker position  ^-^.

Ana

Takama

I noticed the Pictures are gone.    No proplem ill post new ones up soon

Takama

Once apon a time. A man named Nathan saw a Pug in a Petshop.  He asked an employee if he could hold it, and he said yes.   As Nathan held it, the Pug licked his face continuously, and Nathan fell in love.  Sadly, Nathan could not afford to adopt the pug as he already has a Pomeranian named Rex, and a couple of Mixed breed dogs.   Three days later, he found a Pug figure in the Toy section at his local Shopko, and the figure became his little reminder of the cute Pug he could not Adopt.

I might get the Female and Puppies in the Future, and post them here in this thread (Unless someone else wishes to post them here, you have my permission)

Jetoar

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Safari Ltd. Wildlife Wonders 2015 Coyote, Canis latrans Say, 1823. Snout-vent length is approx. 128 mm and shoulder height 77 mm, so the scale is approx. 1:6 - 1:7. This is the smallest Wildlife Wonders figure, yet, even a little smaller than the Grey Wolf. A widespread and generally common species with many subspecies, the Coyote's range covers almost the entire North and Central America. The species is considered "Least Concern" by IUCN.
Here is a link to the WW Coyote at Safari Ltd: https://safariltd.com/products/view/wildlife-wonders-coyote-figurines-113089

Size comparison with the Wildlife Wonders Grey Wolf:

And this one was inevitable...
Beep-beep! ;D

Edit 2017-02-05: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

Wonderful figure  ^-^ even with the roadrunner  ;D.

Takama

Part of the First Wave of Yowies Released in the USA

Takama

Part of the First Wave of Yowies Released in the USA