News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

"Does This Exist?" Thread

Started by Varanus, February 06, 2013, 06:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varanus

A thread for people wanting know if a certain species has ever been made in figure form. :)

I'll start I suppose, with a question that's a little more specific:  Did Safari ever make a Parson's Chameleon?

sauroid

has any modern company (non-japanese) made gibbons (esp. siamang), aardvark, babirusa, anaconda, dingo, wallaby, cassowary, reticulated python, pygmy hippo, bonobo ape, philippine eagle and binturong?

brontodocus

That's a good idea fo a thread, Varanus! :)
Quote from: Varanus on February 06, 2013, 06:42:04 AM
I'll start I suppose, with a question that's a little more specific:  Did Safari ever make a Parson's Chameleon?
Yes, apparently. I've seen one recently but shipping to Germany was too expensive. About as large as the AAA Parson's Chameleon but with a very gaudy paintjob reminiscent of Trioceros melleri and I believe with rotating eyes, too.
Quote from: sauroid on February 06, 2013, 08:14:25 AM
has any modern company (non-japanese) made gibbons (esp. siamang), aardvark, babirusa, anaconda, dingo, wallaby, cassowary, reticulated python, pygmy hippo, bonobo ape, philippine eagle and binturong?
Papo will release a gibbon about May this year. An aardvark has been made by Safari Ltd. Ws Wildlife. I'm not sure if AAA (not even sure if it was AAA or another company) made a babirusa or at least a figure that looks similar to one. PV has made an anaconda. A Rock Wallaby was made by Science & Nature as well as a Dingo, but there's also a small Dingo in Safari Ltd.'s Land Down Under Toob. The PV Binturong isn't a Binturong at all but rather looks like an Asian Palm Civet, Paradoxurus hermaphroditus. Not sure about the other animals you wrote, though, of course I know Japanese figures of Pygmy Hippo and Philippine Eagle (both Colorata) but I don't know if there are non-Japanese figures of them, too. :-\

EDIT: Varanus, I forgot that there's a Parson's Chameleon in the Safari Ltd. Reptiles Toob, too!

tyrantqueen

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

sbell

There is a Pymgy Hippo in the UK Yowies line as well. Probaby just as hard to find as the Colorata figure.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 06, 2013, 12:55:30 PM
Has anyone ever made a hagfish?

Only this And no, I don't have one, although I wish I did.

brontodocus

Aaaah! :o I never thought I could be tempted hunting for a jar of slime but it seems I have to, now! ;D

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on February 06, 2013, 04:28:12 PM
Aaaah! :o I never thought I could be tempted hunting for a jar of slime but it seems I have to, now! ;D

If it makes you feel better or worse, I have never once seen it available anywhere. I don't even care if the slime is still active.

I think, if anyone here finds them, there will likely be a bunch of them--in which case, we must let everyone else know.

stemturtle

Chimpanzee (Nayab), Pan sp., 2.5 inches (6.4 cm)

A couple of years ago, when I bought this beautiful figure on eBay, it was sold as a bonobo, Pan paniscus.  Since then, I learned from STS that it was manufactured by Nayab for Del Prado, and is identified as a " Schimpanse."   Lately, it has been offered by snertus as a chimpanzee/bonobo. It has the long limbs and a face nearly dark enough for a bonobo, however, it requires pink lips, and the hair should be longer and parted.  An ID is not marked on the figure.  In answer to your question, sauroid, I do not know with certainty of a bonobo, but this is pretty close.

sauroid

ah yes stemturtle. i think we discussed this chimp over at the old DTF (v.1). but it usually is marketed as the regular chimpanzee by the mother company (Nayab) and all the repackers. i have this figure too btw.

thanks for all the info guys.

Varanus

Quote from: brontodocus on February 06, 2013, 10:55:29 AM
Yes, apparently. I've seen one recently but shipping to Germany was too expensive. About as large as the AAA Parson's Chameleon but with a very gaudy paintjob reminiscent of Trioceros melleri and I believe with rotating eyes, too.
The ebay one right? :)  That's exactly why I was asking, I wasn't sure if it was just a repainted AAA figure. ;)

Okay new question, has anyone ever made my favorite reptile, a Perentie?  Or how about a Chinese Crocodile Lizard, a South American Caiman Lizard, or a Crocodile Tegu?

stemturtle

Quote from: sauroid on February 07, 2013, 03:32:03 AM
ah yes stemturtle. i think we discussed this chimp over at the old DTF (v.1). but it usually is marketed as the regular chimpanzee by the mother company (Nayab) and all the repackers. i have this figure too btw.

Thanks, sauroid.  I edited the DTF posting with the ID for Pan troglodytes.

Jetoar

Quote from: sbell on February 06, 2013, 03:06:54 PM

There is a Pymgy Hippo in the UK Yowies line as well. Probaby just as hard to find as the Colorata figure.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 06, 2013, 12:55:30 PM
Has anyone ever made a hagfish?

Only this And no, I don't have one, although I wish I did.

I dont believe it, a mixine figure! I want one of this  ^-^!
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Ana

Aardvarks (two of them) were made also by Noah's Pals. Company doesn't exist anymore but  figures are yet possible to find here and there.

brontodocus

Quote from: Varanus on February 07, 2013, 06:14:48 AM
Quote from: brontodocus on February 06, 2013, 10:55:29 AM
The ebay one right? :)  That's exactly why I was asking, I wasn't sure if it was just a repainted AAA figure. ;)

Okay new question, has anyone ever made my favorite reptile, a Perentie?  Or how about a Chinese Crocodile Lizard, a South American Caiman Lizard, or a Crocodile Tegu?
Yes, that's the one. The seller was really friendly but due to the size only Priority Mail was possible which would have been around $40... :'(
I'm not aware of figures of any of the other lizards you listed. :-\ Too bad, they'd all be great!
Quote from: Ana on February 07, 2013, 10:13:10 PM
Aardvarks (two of them) were made also by Noah's Pals. Company doesn't exist anymore but  figures are yet possible to find here and there.
Oh, how could I forget about Anthony & Angela? :-[ ;D

CM

How about a thylacine?  It's crazy that I can't seem to find one.

Ana

Quote from: CM on February 08, 2013, 03:50:46 PM

Look at the website of my friend Joan, he sculpted beautiful Thylacine female. This figure is limited edition resin, it seems it's still available http://bestiari.weebly.com/limited-editions.html You need to ask the artist ;)
I have it and highly recommend :D here photo from my collection

CM

sbell

There are several Yowies ones of varying quality, a very hard to get Starlux one, and a decent small one from Club Earth, but it is not easy to find (long out of production):

The easiest one to find might be the Colorata figure from the Endangered animals Vol.1 Box set:

It comes with a set of other figures (including a really cool dermopteran!).

The set can occasionally be found on ebay, and while it costs a bit, the price/figure isn't too bad. Unfortunately, you can't order directly from Colorata unless you are in Japan.

The lowest-priced set I found after a very quick search is here

stemturtle

There is a Tylacine in the figures with the Groovy Tube Books: Gone Extinct! Available on Amazon.
It is the yellow figure in the third picture, near the center of the board, about 2.25 inches (6 cm).  The belly is marked Tasmanian Tiger.
Credit to sbell for telling us about this set.

sbell

Quote from: stemturtle on February 08, 2013, 04:58:10 PM

There is a Tylacine in the figures with the Groovy Tube Books: Gone Extinct! Available on Amazon.
It is the yellow figure in the third picture, near the center of the board, about 2.25 inches (6 cm).  The belly is marked Tasmanian Tiger.
Credit to sbell for telling us about this set.

I'd completely forgotten about that one! Probably the least expensive currently-available one (but I'd recommend the Colorata far more highly).