News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Fading Giants: Rhinos (family Rhinocerotidae)

Started by brontodocus, February 04, 2013, 03:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Safari Ltd. Wild Safari Wildlife Indian Rhinoceros, Rhinoceros unicornis Linnaeus, 1758. Shoulder height is 63 mm, snout-vent length 128 mm. The scale would be approx. 1:24 - 1:30. The human figure is from the Safari Ltd. African Village Toob and approx. 1:30 scale, the other rhinoceros in the last photo is the WS Wildlife White Rhino.
Here's a link to the Indian Rhino at Safari Ltd.: http://safariltd.shptron.com/p/wild-safari%C2%AE-wildlife-indian-rhino

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Ana

Great Indian rhino figure. I enjoy this walk around :D Thank You for sharing! :D

brontodocus

Thanks, Ana! :) I was very impressed by the detail of the rhino myself. I think both this one and the WS Wildlife White Rhino are excellent. How nice would it be if they also included a Black, Javan, and Sumatran Rhino, eventually! :)

Jetoar

Amazing figure, I like the detail of its skin and proportions, nice walk around as always  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

OkapiBoy

Fading Giants: Rhinos (family Rhinocerotidae)
Along with the elephants, giraffes, and hippo, the rhinos are among the last of the mega fauna still living today. There are five extant species today, and all are endangered. Two of these species are native to Africa and three to Asia (southern) .They can be found in tropical forest, tall grasslands, open savannahs, and in high altitudes in Asia and Africa. All rhino species have horns which are made of keratin. Both the African species and the Sumatran have two horns, while the Indian and Javan have single horn.

African species
Black rhino ( Diceros bicornis) have 4 subspecies:  South-Central (D.b. minor), South-western (D.b. bicornis), East African ( D.b. michaeli), and West African (D.b. longipes) declared extinct in 2011.
White Rhino has two subspecies: Southern white (Ceratotherium simum simum), and Northern white (Ceratotherium simum cottoni).The southern subspecies has the distinction of having the largest population of any rhino subspecies in the world. The northern subspecies is basically extinct in the wild, and with only a handful left in captivity.
All African species and sub species form the Dicerotini group, which emerged in the middle Miocene (14 mya). The big difference between the two is the shape of their mouth- white rhinos have a broad flat lips more suited for grazing, whereas the black rhino have a more pointed lips more suited for browsing foliage.
Papo

CollectA

Mojo

Wild Republic

Large Safari

with Schliech for comparison

Safari

Asian species
The Indian or greater one-horned Rhino (Rhinoceros unicornis) and the Javan Rhino (Rhinoceros sondaicus) form the Rhinocerotini group, which emerged around 10 million years ago. Both species have the distinctive huge skin folds that give the armored-like appearance. Both species sport only one horn.
With an estimated total world population of only about 60 animals concentrated in one area, the Javan rhino is one of the world’s rarest and most endangered large mammals. It is also the least know of all the rhino species.  The Javan rhino is smaller than its Indian cousin.
The Sumatran Rhino (Diceroshinus sumatrensis) is the only surviving representative of the Dicerorhinini group; also it is the most primitive group. The group emerged in the Miocene (about 20 million years ago). The extinct woolly rhino was also a member of this tribe. The Sumatran rhino is also the smallest of the extant species, as well as the one with the most hair (they can be found in higher altitudes compared to other species).  The Sumatran rhino is closely related to the woolly rhino, but not to the other modern species.
As far as toy figures go, the two African species and the Indian species are well represented. I am not aware of any toy figures of either the Sumatran or Javan species available (although there is a resin Javan that I know of).

Safari

Schleich

Together

Bobble head figures

Calf

Bonus: Prehistoric rhinos
Besides the five extant species, there were many other species of extinct rhinos. They ranged in size from small dog-sized to one of the largest land mammal that ever existed. Of all the extinct species, two have dominated the toy figure world- the woolly rhino and paraceratherium.

The rhino body plan is a successful one. Many other unrelated species share this type of body plan throughout evolution. Here are a few extinct animals that, although unrelated, superficially looks like a thino

sbell

Brontotheres are so related to rhinos! What craziness are you talking?! ;D

brontodocus

I assume OkapiBoy meant the Uintatherium and Arsinoitherium rather than the Megacerops?

Bullyland also made two figures of the Javan Rhinoceros, Rhinoceros sondaicus, an adult and a calf. :) Sadly, I only have the latter :-\:

Jetoar

I know the safari large figure is big bit the comaparison is incredible,It Is very big  :o !.

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on February 08, 2013, 10:44:12 PM
I assume OkapiBoy meant the Uintatherium and Arsinoitherium rather than the Megacerops?

He put the caption on the photo of the whole group+rhino, so I understand the caption to refer to all of them.

Fukuiraptor

OkapiBoy, thanks for sharing!  Your comparison photos are great!

sauroid

cool rhinos. does anyone have pics of their Nayab african rhino?

Ana

Great rhinos everyone :D Many interesting ones :) And thank You for starting very interesting topic :)
Here some of my rhinos

Sumatran rhino by Joan

and some others, from left to right: Bullyland deluxe black rhino (cork version), Mojo white rhino, CollectA black rhino calf, schleich indian rhino calf and adult, Britains Indian rhino :)

brontodocus

Walk-around of the big Safari Ltd. Wildlife Wonders White Rhinoceros, Ceratotherium simum (Burchell, 1817). Snout-vent length is approx. 260 mm and shoulder height 120 mm (almost twice as large as the WS Wildlife version which has a shoulder height of 65 mm), so the scale is approx. 1:13 - 1:16. The human figure ("European Father" by Miniland "Los Amigos del Mundo") is approx. 1:13 - 1:14 scale.
Here's a link to the figure at Safari Ltd.: http://safariltd.shptron.com/p/wildlife-wonders%E2%84%A2-white-rhinoceros

Edit 2017-02-06: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

Amazing and accurate reply of this animal, once agin Safari WW have done a great figure, Thanks for sharing friend.

OkapiBoy

Quote from: Ana on February 09, 2013, 06:56:57 PM
Great rhinos everyone :D Many interesting ones :) And thank You for starting very interesting topic :)
Here some of my rhinos

Sumatran rhino by Joan

Ohhh, beautiful Sumatran rhino figure! I wish someone would release one. Maybe CollectA or Mojo will in the future.

OkapiBoy

Quote from: brontodocus on February 08, 2013, 10:44:12 PM

Bullyland also made two figures of the Javan Rhinoceros, Rhinoceros sondaicus, an adult and a calf. :) Sadly, I only have the latter :-\:

Yes, when I realized my mistake, it was too late. I was not about to go back and reshoot it... but hopefully people will get the point ;)
Nice Javan figure, I did not even know that Bullylan once released a figure of it... something to hunt on ebay I guess :))

brontodocus

Quote from: OkapiBoy on February 16, 2013, 01:44:27 AM
Nice Javan figure, I did not even know that Bullylan once released a figure of it... something to hunt on ebay I guess :))
Yes, that's how I got mine. It was a shot in the dark since I remember it was not listed as a Javan Rhino but looked like one to me. So I was quite delighted to see it was really meant to be one after I got it. :)

sauroid

here are some of my rhinos (i hope it's ok Okapiboy ^-^)
Bullyland indian rhino

Bullyland Coelodonta

Bandai pregnant african rhino

CollectA african rhino

vintage made-in-hongkong rhinos

Jetoar

Wonderful collection of  rhinos  ^-^ very impressive  ^-^.

brontodocus

Walk-around of the retired Bullyland Animal World "Deluxe" Hook-lipped Rhinoceros or Black Rhinoceros, Diceros bicornis (Linnaeus, 1758); adult and calf. The adult is one of very few rhinoceros figures that are actually about 1:20 scale. Its snout-vent length is approx. 145 mm plus 42 mm tail, shoulder height is 77 mm and total height at the ears 93 mm, so the scale would be approx. 1:19 - 1:23. The calf is 82 mm snout-vent length plus 23 mm tail length and has a shoulder height of 44 mm. The human figure (from Accoutrements "Horrified B-Movie Victims" playset) is approx. 1:20 - 1:22.5 scale. The adult Hook-lipped Rhinoceros figure is impressive but it has some flaws, too, the head is held very high which is - while not impossible - a bit higher than usually seen in real rhinos and the skin folds at the upper arm are a bit weakly pronounced. On the other hand the overall skin texture could have been a good deal smoother.

Edit 2017-02-06: Fixed broken image urls.