News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Server issues

Started by AnimalToyForum, February 03, 2013, 12:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Quote from: sbell on November 15, 2013, 02:30:00 AM
That would be great except that I can't make a single change to my profile--every time I go to change those settings, I just get kicked to the main ATF page.
I had something similar to that. Are you trying to access your profile via the tab at the top of the screen? Instead of getting redirected to main page, it sent me to the walkarounds section.

I was able to get around the problem by accessing my profile this way instead:

Hopefully Dr Admin will get the kinks smoothed out eventually :)

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

sbell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 15, 2013, 02:44:11 AM
Quote from: sbell on November 15, 2013, 02:30:00 AM
That would be great except that I can't make a single change to my profile--every time I go to change those settings, I just get kicked to the main ATF page.
I had something similar to that. Are you trying to access your profile via the tab at the top of the screen? Instead of getting redirected to main page, it sent me to the walkarounds section.

I was able to get around the problem by accessing my profile this way instead:

Hopefully Dr Admin will get the kinks smoothed out eventually :)

I don't even get that sidebar, on any page. So I guess I'm stuck waiting until someone fixes it.

AnimalToyForum

How odd! I'll see if I can work out what's happening...

Edit - I just logged in with a guest account, to test the profile section, but everything seems to be in order. Are these glitches you encountered still happening?

sbell

Quote from: animaltoyforum on November 15, 2013, 01:27:27 PM

Edit - I just logged in with a guest account, to test the profile section, but everything seems to be in order. Are these glitches you encountered still happening?

Yup. I can't do anything to change my profile at all.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: sbell on November 16, 2013, 12:15:59 AM

Aha, I've worked out what the problem is. The menu code is still pointing to the old server, and some permissions need changing on the new server, I'll correct this in the morning and that should resolve the problem :) I wonder if that might fix the avatars too...

stemturtle

Dr. Admin, thanks for the faster speed of loading the ATF.
My avatar is fine, but I noticed an unrelated problem.

The abbreviation for inches is in. or the double prime symbol ".
The old server allowed us to print the symbol " by using the quotation mark key.
The new server prints quotation marks as gibberish: â€.
Is there a fix to correct this problem? 
Otherwise, we could edit the old posts by inserting the symbol "
where the quotation mark key was used.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: animaltoyforum on November 16, 2013, 12:58:33 AM
Quote from: sbell on November 16, 2013, 12:15:59 AM

Aha, I've worked out what the problem is. The menu code is still pointing to the old server, and some permissions need changing on the new server, I'll correct this in the morning and that should resolve the problem :) I wonder if that might fix the avatars too...

Well, that didn't fix it after all. But I know what is happening. the ";" in the menu urls is being converted automatically to "%3b". If you type in the semicolon manually it should work, and you should be able to edit you account details now. I've contacted my host to see if they know what the problem is. In the meantime, I've simplified the menu, so it should work.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: stemturtle on November 16, 2013, 02:31:08 PM
Dr. Admin, thanks for the faster speed of loading the ATF.
My avatar is fine, but I noticed an unrelated problem.

The abbreviation for inches is in. or the double prime symbol ".
The old server allowed us to print the symbol " by using the quotation mark key.
The new server prints quotation marks as gibberish: â€.
Is there a fix to correct this problem? 
Otherwise, we could edit the old posts by inserting the symbol "
where the quotation mark key was used.

AH, thanks for letting me know. I noticed something similar with the 'O' in Mojo turning to gibberish. This is obviously a result of the server settings, I'll try and fix this as soon as possible...

Thanks for your patience!

sbell

I think it works now. Hooray!

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: sbell on November 16, 2013, 03:50:35 PM
I think it works now. Hooray!

We are getting there! I had to temporarily remove links from the menu, I will restore these when I fix the problem...

AnimalToyForum

I've restored the full navigation menu. The underlying language problem is not fixed, but I found a workaround by removing the www from the urls. For some reason, that works!

Out hosts have reset the language so it matches the old forum server, so new posts will be fine. However, to fix the gibberish in old posts, we might have to reinstall the database, which could mean some more downtime.I'll keep you posted!

C:-) O:-)

Edit, I've agreed with my host not to reimport the database, it is a bit too risky.  Now that the language has been set correctly, gibberish in posts can be corrected manually by modification. Otherwise, we'll just have to live with the occasional odd character in historical posts.  C:-)

AnimalToyForum

The forum database crashed so the site was broken for a while there. There was an easy fix, but the error happened in the middle of the night, when I was tucked up in bed, hence the delay. Apologies!

sauroid

glad to see the ATF functioning again. thank you Dr.Admin. :)

Jetoar

Well done again Adam  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

AnimalToyForum

It's OK, it is starting to get a little embarrassing  :-[ It is also not good for SEO as we will be punished in search engine rankings :(

AnimalToyForum

We had some serious downtime over the last few days so apologies for the inconvenience.  :-[

AnimalToyForum

We had 16 hours downtime today, plus 11 hours downtime on Tuesday. And 10 hours downtime on November the 16th. It's really not acceptable and I can only apologise. My host informed me that they had a "major glitch" causing the issue. We seem to be back up now, so I hope the problem is completely resolved now. I apologise in advance if we go down again...  O:-)

If you find the site not working, check our Facebook feed, where I post updates on what's happening:
https://www.facebook.com/animaltoyforum
or the Twitter feed of the Dinosaur Toy Blog (which is on the same server as the ATF and so faces the same consequences when technical difficulties strike!)
https://twitter.com/dinotoyblog

AnimalToyForum

We are suddenly experiencing a lot of downtime so I apologise for the inconvenience. Hopefully this will not continue. 

Jetoar

Quote from: animaltoyforum on April 14, 2015, 06:14:04 PM
We are suddenly experiencing a lot of downtime so I apologise for the inconvenience. Hopefully this will not continue.

Thanks again friend  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

AnimalToyForum

Sorry, the downtime continued. Seems to be fixed now though!