News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Morgan Reptile Replicas

Started by tyrantqueen, December 07, 2012, 01:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Anyone ever bought from here? They make life sized (sometimes cast from real specimens) resins of lizards, turtles, snakes, amphibians etc. http://www.reptilereplicas.com/html/catalog.html

They also make other animals too http://www.exhibitreplicas.com/

I would love to own some of their reptiles :)) And they ship internationally....

Also, sorry if this is the wrong section. There isn't a place for resin kits yet :X

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

brontodocus

I haven't done so, yet, but for over a year I plan to order there. The prices are quite reasonable! :) And they have a huge Ceratophrys ornata cast. And a Colorado Toad, Incilius alvarius, you know, the one that became famous for being misused as a drug source...

AnimalToyForum

I'll keep this place in mind if I ever need a replica for the museum where I work :)

stemturtle

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 07, 2012, 01:24:03 PM
Anyone ever bought from here? They make life sized (sometimes cast from real specimens) resins of lizards, turtles, snakes, amphibians etc. http://www.reptilereplicas.com/html/catalog.html

They also make other animals too http://www.exhibitreplicas.com/

I would love to own some of their reptiles :)) And they ship internationally....

Also, sorry if this is the wrong section. There isn't a place for resin kits yet :X

Yes, tyrantqueen, I have some of the turtles.  I bought the models over 20 years ago.  I will take photos this weekend.  My wife has the camera and is out of town.  I would not consider them resin kits because they do not need assembly.  Maybe I could post under Animal Groups, and start a thread for turtles.   

brontodocus

Quote from: animaltoyforum on December 07, 2012, 05:49:08 PM
I'll keep this place in mind if I ever need a replica for the museum where I work :)
If your Museum intends getting some, the best source for Central European species is of course Somso http://www.somso.de/english/index.htm but they are very expensive. Our institute bought some of their insect head anatomy models about a year ago.
Quote from: stemturtle on December 07, 2012, 05:53:41 PM
Yes, tyrantqueen, I have some of the turtles.  I bought the models over 20 years ago.  I will take photos this weekend.  My wife has the camera and is out of town.  I would not consider them resin kits because they do not need assembly.  Maybe I could post under Animal Groups, and start a thread for turtles.   
Oh, I thought they were maybe from polyurethane foam? :o Don't they at least require some work like trimming edges, putting in glass eyes or the like?
Oh, yes, please do start a turtle thread by the way! :) I may have a few to add later on... ;D

stemturtle

You are correct brontodocus, that the Morgan reptile replicas are sold either unpainted or finished.  I should have said that they are cast as a single piece rather than saying that they do not need assembly.  My experience was with the painted version.  The bottom is covered with felt-like material, hiding any foam filler.  Prices seem to have increased in 20 years.

tyrantqueen

Oh, should I change the title then? I assumed they were made of resin, but it looks like I was wrong :X

brontodocus

I must confess I paid no attention to the thread's complete title. But it may be a good idea to change it to avoid confusion of others who might stumble over this thread later on? And since we're apparently getting to see photos ^-^ the thread may attract more and more people. :)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: brontodocus on December 07, 2012, 09:47:36 PM
I must confess I paid no attention to the thread's complete title. But it may be a good idea to change it to avoid confusion of others who might stumble over this thread later on? And since we're apparently getting to see photos ^-^ the thread may attract more and more people. :)
Done :)

stemturtle

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 07, 2012, 09:00:32 PM
Oh, should I change the title then? I assumed they were made of resin, but it looks like I was wrong :X

The models are cast in resin with a fill of foam to save material.  When I said single piece, I meant that the appendages do not need to be glued to the body.  Sorry that my communication was not clear.

Tyrantqueen, I enjoyed the photos of your lizard collection.

sbell

If I had known about this place while I still worked at the T.rex Center, there's a good chance at least one would have wound up in our palaeocene display (there was a space just asking to be filled, and since hellbender fossils are known, the model would have been a great fit).

But that's not happening now.

stemturtle

Some examples of turtles by Morgan Reptile Replicas can be seen at http://www.animaltoyforum.com/index.php/topic,47.0.html

Jetoar

I think that this brand do good replies of live animals and they are vey good for museums, gardens evens exposisions  ;).
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

tyrantqueen

Does it make me weird that I ordered from these guys even though I'm not part of a museum? I intend to build and paint them myself, as part of a private collection. I think they'd be really great for any reptile or amphibian collector :)

brontodocus

I'm still considering buying from them, too. :) Which ones did you order?

tyrantqueen

I ordered the Chuckwalla lizard and the Argentine Horned Frog. :)

brontodocus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 15, 2013, 01:04:13 AM
Good choice! I have an eye on the Horned Frog, too. :) It seems to be an exceptionally large specimen for C. ornata if the given 6'' are correct (but they can get that big and the proportionally small head suggests a huge and rather old specimen). How much was shipping for those two?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: brontodocus on January 15, 2013, 11:53:05 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 15, 2013, 01:04:13 AM
Good choice! I have an eye on the Horned Frog, too. :) It seems to be an exceptionally large specimen for C. ornata if the given 6'' are correct (but they can get that big and the proportionally small head suggests a huge and rather old specimen). How much was shipping for those two?
I didn't order them both on the same date, so the shipping wasn't combined. The shipping for them was $20 each.

dinocat62

I just ordered a Chuckwalla and an Eastern Glass Lizard. I would like on of the pricey Black-headed Bushmasters.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: dinocat62 on January 15, 2013, 11:35:53 PM
I just ordered a Chuckwalla and an Eastern Glass Lizard. I would like on of the pricey Black-headed Bushmasters.
Be sure to post yours here when you get them, I'd like to see them :)