News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Figure manufacturer identification thread

Started by tyrantqueen, December 07, 2012, 01:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 11, 2013, 12:00:50 AM
QuoteLooks like AAA's style, but I could be wrong.

No is AAA because I dont see the logo of this brand.
AAA don't always trademark their models. I have a lizard made by them that does not have the AAA label on it, it is labelled as "made in china" but is clearly an AAA figure.

Cheapanimals isn't a brand--it should be thought of as a Galaxy Toys (unless the distributor has a different name where you are!)

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 11, 2013, 12:00:50 AM
QuoteLooks like AAA's style, but I could be wrong.

No is AAA because I dont see the logo of this brand.
AAA don't always trademark their models. I have a lizard made by them that does not have the AAA label on it, it is labelled as "made in china" but is clearly an AAA figure.

But AAA is always a solid figure--I have never known a figure from them that can float.

brontodocus

Don't know about the AAA figures that were not cast from dead specimens but I know several AAA casts of aquatic animals that are actually hollow, e.g. several crabs, Lobster, Geoduck Clam, "Tuba False Fusus", and the large Hawksbill Turtle.

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on January 11, 2013, 07:59:37 AM
Don't know about the AAA figures that were not cast from dead specimens but I know several AAA casts of aquatic animals that are actually hollow, e.g. several crabs, Lobster, Geoduck Clam, "Tuba False Fusus", and the large Hawksbill Turtle.

It is a strange situation  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sbell

Quote from: Jetoar on January 11, 2013, 09:32:43 AM

Generally their mid-size animals are not hollow though (their really big ones, like their huge mammoth, are. I forgot about those).

Jetoar

Quote from: sbell on January 11, 2013, 02:53:51 PM
Quote from: Jetoar on January 11, 2013, 09:32:43 AM

Generally their mid-size animals are not hollow though (their really big ones, like their huge mammoth, are. I forgot about those).

Thanks for your help firend  ^-^!.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Ana

Quote from: Jetoar on January 10, 2013, 08:47:13 PM
Quote from: Ana on January 10, 2013, 05:33:37 PM

To me it looks like from Wild Republic, I checked it on the website of other collector, I believe it must be Wild Republic (also known as K&M)  :)
AAA anteater is also similar (especially colors) but has more natural looking face (here mouth open way too wide...) and different pose of tail.

He is not K&M figure, In his belley we can read only "made in china" and "Myrmecophaga trydactila".

Wild Republic (produced by k&m) not always have name of the brand on them. You can see on this website (website of very crazy collector with big knowledge about brands indeed, he collects every brand he is able to find :o ) http://www.collectorsquest.com/collectible/47690/wild-republic-giant-anteater-c1488  ;)

Ana

Quote from: sbell on January 10, 2013, 10:55:13 PM
Cheapanimals isn't a brand--it's a short-hand for low-end, usually low price figures (like Chinasaurs or Cheaposaurs). They usually show up in bins or small bags in dollar and discount stores.

Given the two-part nature of the figure, and that it floats, I'm guessing that you have one from the same line as the one I mentioned. Being a random-made Chinese line (mine were packaged by Galaxy Toys), you probably won't find anything specific on them anywhere, and they likely show up in various sets at different times.

The ones I have are European beaver, Red-bellied tree squirrel, Maned wolf (the large one was labelled as Meyer's Asparagus...I know I keep mentioning it, but it is just so odd--it's why I bought it), and Indian Civet.

As you can see, there is some attempt at decent pain and sculpt, but not a lot.  There are also different sizes that are of the same animal but in different sculpts (and are not baby versions).

Funny enough but those are also sold as Wild Republic :) You can also find some of them on website of the same collector :) for example civet http://www.collectorsquest.com/collectible/47684/wild-republic-small-indian-civet-c1473

Wild Republic are most of the time marked only on the package label and sold in bigger sets. I've seen some of them in the toy shop some time ago, one f them contained anteater, red panda, beaver, wombat, capybara and some others. All had not high quality painting but their shapes were sometimes quite good :)

As far as I know those Wild Republic (or sometimes Galaxy toys) are produced by K&M and perhaps sold under different company names  ::)

You can see on their website some current products, this one seems to contain civet also http://www.wildrepublic.com/ShowBrands.aspx?ProdCode=88517&CatCode=TOYS&CT=Toys&SubCat=ITSYBITSYBUCKET&ST=Itsy%20Bitsy%20Bucket&SubClass=ITSYBITSYBUCKET&SCT=Itsy%20Bitsy%20Bucket&P=&C= :)

This one, in my opinion, shows all what is characteristic for the brand  http://www.wildrepublic.com/ShowBrands.aspx?ProdCode=53529&CatCode=TOYS&CT=Toys&SubCat=POLYBAGS&ST=Polybags&SubClass=POLYBAGS&SCT=Polybags&P=&C=

sbell

I'd forgotten about the WR polybag figures. That was a later development (long after I'd given up on them). But the ones I had were different, although definitely similar styling. The ones K&M uses seem to come from a variety of sources (I've seen the same figure from FUL and Aussini, both of which are just generic cheapanimal makers).

Daverat

I know that this is a Dieter rubber eraser from about 1978 but does anybody know the name of this character or what kind of animal this creature is? My first guess was a rat but then my wife pointed out that its probably an Ant Eater / Aardvark and he has a bushy tail like a fox that is not obvious at first but you can see it in the 2nd photo below.

Daverat

While I'm here does anybody know why the white Pellican is wearing miliatry/Navy (?) style clothing? Is he a specific character? 

Daverat

Does anybody know anything about these Chicken & Duck figures from 1970 from Britains Ltd. ?

pachyrhinosaurus

I bought these some years ago as a young child, in a bin where I put a number of small creatures in a box for a price, similar to the ones at tourist attractions that sell rocks. All of them appear to be the same brand, but I'm not sure which one(s).
Poison Dart Frog

Bat

Lizards

Can anyone identify these, please?

Varanus

The frog and bat look like Play Vision knockoffs.

The bottom lizard is probably an XX knockoff, I'm not sure about the other two.

pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Varanus on February 17, 2013, 08:40:41 PM
The frog and bat look like Play Vision knockoffs.

The bottom lizard is probably an XX knockoff, I'm not sure about the other two.
I did a bit of research, and the Play Vision frog appears thinner than mine, and, I couldn't come up with anything with the bat. The lizards, by the way, are all the same brand, I'll see what I can find with their XX brand. I do thank you for the information, though.

AnimalToyForum

Can anyone help ID these odd metal figures? They have no markings and I guess they could be home made. But perhaps they are mass-produced. I've no idea what the hairy thing is supposed to be, but the other two are obviously sheep.

sauroid

the "hairy thing" looks like a sheepdog. could be an old english sheepdog, komondor, or puli/k. dont know the maker though :D

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: sauroid on August 07, 2013, 01:27:58 PM
the "hairy thing" looks like a sheepdog. could be an old english sheepdog, komondor, or puli/k. dont know the maker though :D

Could be. I wondered if it might supposed to be a gorilla!

sauroid

brontodocus

widukind

Quote from: sbell on January 10, 2013, 10:55:13 PM
Cheapanimals isn't a brand--it's a short-hand for low-end, usually low price figures (like Chinasaurs or Cheaposaurs). They usually show up in bins or small bags in dollar and discount stores.

Given the two-part nature of the figure, and that it floats, I'm guessing that you have one from the same line as the one I mentioned. Being a random-made Chinese line (mine were packaged by Galaxy Toys), you probably won't find anything specific on them anywhere, and they likely show up in various sets at different times.

The ones I have are European beaver, Red-bellied tree squirrel, Maned wolf (the large one was labelled as Meyer's Asparagus...I know I keep mentioning it, but it is just so odd--it's why I bought it), and Indian Civet.

As you can see, there is some attempt at decent pain and sculpt, but not a lot.  There are also different sizes that are of the same animal but in different sculpts (and are not baby versions).

That is Nayab. This chinese maker produce for a lot of brands (zoolandia, animals classix, wild republic...)