News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The scale frenzy of brontodocus

Started by brontodocus, December 07, 2012, 09:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

widukind

Phantastic pics and wonderful idea  :)

brontodocus

Many thanks, modelnut & widukind! :-) Modelnut, are those Preiser figures or are they by some other brand?

Hercules beetle

Quote from: brontodocus on December 15, 2012, 04:05:36 PM
Thank you so much, Kikimalou & Ana! :) Although it's quite some work measuring the figures (in most cases I take more measurements than just shoulder height but I don't post all data I have all the time, I guess it's already quite nerdy), I think it's really worth doing so, it gives a much better impression of proper size relations between different animals, and e.g. the "Big Five" should really dwarf other animal figures considerably.

And if I was a Cheetah I'd probably not get so close to a male African Buffalo! :o ;D Scale of this scene approx. 1:24.
Nice photo, but how does that cheetah figure balance like that?

sbell

It balances because Kaiyodo knows what they are doing. There's really no more to it than that.

brontodocus

Quote from: Hercules beetle on October 20, 2014, 11:57:28 PM
Nice photo, but how does that cheetah figure balance like that?
Quote from: sbell on October 21, 2014, 12:31:30 AM
It balances because Kaiyodo knows what they are doing. There's really no more to it than that.
Yes, and also because there is a peg in the left anterior leg that fits into the figure's base. Without that it would of fall over, of course. Viewing the cheetah from another angle it's no surprise anymore:

In the meantime, there's another one I might show here. You know, huge pliosaurs are huge - but are they that huge after all?

Size comparison of Kaiyodo CapsuleQ Museum †Pliosaurus kevani Benson et al., 2013, (skull length of holotype 1996 mm, corresponding "skull" length of figure 18 mm, so scale of figure approx. 1:111) with two extant rorquals, a 27.9 m long Blue Whale (Safari Ltd WS Sealife, figure length 251 mm), Balaenoptera musculus (Linnaeus, 1758), and 9.2 m Minke Whale (Kitan Club Nature of Japan, figure length 83 mm), Balaenoptera acutorostrata Lacépède, 1804.

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on October 21, 2014, 09:51:13 AM
In the meantime, there's another one I might show here. You know, huge pliosaurs are huge - but are they that huge after all?

Size comparison of Kaiyodo CapsuleQ Museum †Pliosaurus kevani Benson et al., 2013, (skull length of holotype 1996 mm, corresponding "skull" length of figure 18 mm, so scale of figure approx. 1:111) with two extant rorquals, a 27.9 m long Blue Whale (Safari Ltd WS Sealife, figure length 251 mm), Balaenoptera musculus (Linnaeus, 1758), and 9.2 m Minke Whale (Kitan Club Nature of Japan, figure length 83 mm), Balaenoptera acutorostrata Lacépède, 1804.

You should have included the tiny diver figure as well! He'd be almost visible!

brontodocus

Quote from: sbell on October 21, 2014, 01:47:43 PM
I would have loved to. But I couldn't. Without the swimfins the human diver is just about 9 mm long (direct line, with legs stretched out this would be a human approx. 10 mm tall) so it's actually too small to be in scale with the Pliosaurus kevani it's sold with. The human figures from the tyrannosauroid and ceratopsian sets were much better in this respect. Really, when it comes to scale I don't even trust Kaiyodo. :-\

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on October 21, 2014, 03:28:41 PM
Quote from: sbell on October 21, 2014, 01:47:43 PM
I would have loved to. But I couldn't. Without the swimfins the human diver is just about 9 mm long (direct line, with legs stretched out this would be a human approx. 10 mm tall) so it's actually too small to be in scale with the Pliosaurus kevani it's sold with. The human figures from the tyrannosauroid and ceratopsian sets were much better in this respect. Really, when it comes to scale I don't even trust Kaiyodo. :-\

Maybe it's just a very short person! Possibly a very small woman, based on the bust-figure with the ichthyosaur. Not everyone is a 5'10" male.

brontodocus

Quote from: sbell on October 21, 2014, 05:09:27 PM
Maybe it's just a very short person! Possibly a very small woman, based on the bust-figure with the ichthyosaur. Not everyone is a 5'10" male.
That's true. But we would end up with a person a little shorter than my five year old son who is currently 1.18 m. ;D