News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Coleoptera - Beetles

Started by brontodocus, December 07, 2012, 08:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Cybister japonicus Sharp, 1873. Kaiyodo Kyoto Aquarium Figure Collection No. 9. Length 32 mm, scale approx. 1:1.1 - 1:1.3.

sauroid

Sega Dynastes hercules (15 cm. length)

brontodocus

Yay, thanks for posting, sauroid! :) So it's about life size, too! If only my own captive bred D. hercules males would have had horns like that one... :o

Jetoar

Wonderful figures of beattles, I wouldike to have a great hercules beattle figure  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

blackdanter

Quote from: sauroid on March 28, 2013, 11:38:18 AM
Sega Dynastes hercules (15 cm. length)

That looks like the Sega Mushiking series figure. Fantastic big beetle figures. They usually come with a stand and wings so that you can pose them in flight. I think I have 3 in the series boxed away at the minute. Very tough to find. There's a lot of Mushiking toys still around on Ebay but this series of life like beetle figures are tough to find and hardly known. The usual Mushiking stuff is of lower quality, smaller and cartoony.

Sega are capable of making fantastic figures but, rather perversely, the higher end stuff seems to be made purely for arcade gaming. As with the Dino King figures there are some really nice high quality Mushiking figures that were UFO Catcher prizes. I've seen pictures but never ever seen them come up on Ebay. From what I recall, they are enhanced figures from the line yours and mine come from.

Jetoar

postsaurischian

^-^ Kitan Club / Nature Techni Colour 'Nature of Japan' Vol.2 - No.13
Japanese Rhinoceros Beetle - Trypoxylus dichotomus (syn. Allomyrina dichotoma)

Jetoar

Japanese figures of beetles are the best, follow nearly of puzles of Famemaster  ^-^. Amazing figure again.

bmathison1972

Quote from: postsaurischian on November 04, 2013, 12:38:14 PM
^-^ Kitan Club / Nature Techni Colour 'Nature of Japan' Vol.2 - No.13
Japanese Rhinoceros Beetle - Trypoxylus dichotomus (syn. Allomyrina dichotoma)

yes I have that Figure too. It joins other A. dichotoma in my collection from Kaiyodo (Animatales), Yujin (Insects of Japan), Bandai, Sabuardo, CollectA, Rement, Wild Republic, and several others whose name escape me at the moment.

brontodocus

Yay, another Kabutomushi! I like how they painted the setae (the hairlike stuff, but only mammals have hair). :D A month or so ago I was close to buying a living couple of this species, they are also popular for rearing since the life cycle is shorter than in many other rhinoceros beetles and they are said to be very easy (and the couple would have cost merely â,¬30) But I decided if I ever rear rhinoceros beetles again it would be one of the true giants.
Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 05, 2013, 03:43:54 PM
yes I have that Figure too. It joins other A. dichotoma in my collection from Kaiyodo (Animatales), Yujin (Insects of Japan), Bandai, Sabuardo, CollectA, Rement, Wild Republic, and several others whose name escape me at the moment.
Yes, I wonder how many different figures representing this species exist. I remember somewhere on the now archived DTF version 1 you summed them up but that must have been two or three years ago.

bmathison1972

Seven-spotted lady beetle, Coccinella septempunctata Linnaeus, 1758.

Lady beetles (ladybugs, ladybirds) are very commonly made in toy form, but outside of the gashapon/Yowies figures are rarely identifiable to the species level. Here we have the very common and familiar, C. septempunctata. Native to the Palearctic, it's been introduced over much of the world and in North America is displacing the native C. novemnotata.

Here are five figures of this species, from left to right:

1) Fame Master 4D
2) Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour (ladybug collection)
3) CollectA
4) Blip Toys (Nature's Wonders)
5) Furuta (Insect Science)

Hercules beetle

I got a malaysian packet of insects, i will post photos when i know how to.
according to the packet, the beetles in the pack are:
Stag beetle
Hercules beetle
Goliath beetle
Elephant beetle
Caucasas stag beetle
Giant atlas beetle
Neptune stag beetle
Longhorn beetle
There also a strange black beetle that looks like a cross between a weevil and something in the rhinoceras beetle family.
Theres also mantis, locusts, dragonflies and a cicada in the pack.

Hercules beetle

Ok. got the photos.

i know that the first one and last ones and caucasus stags.

widukind

Beautieful beetles have you all!!

bmathison1972

There has been recent interest in life cycles, so here are my Coleoptera life cycles. Sorry, the image quality isn't great; may have had bad lighting today.

Anyway, first up are the lady bugs (Coccinellidae). The top row is by Tedco Toys. The middle row is by Insect Lore (adult looks like a Hippodamia. The bottom row is by Safari LTD (Safariology; the adult looks like a Coccinella).

Next we have the stag beetles (Lucanidae). The top row is by Safari LTD (Safariology). The bottom row is actually a 'Frankenstein' life cycle; where these figures were made for different sets at different times. The larva is by Kaiyodo (Capsule Q Caterpillars 2); the pupae are by Kaiyodo (various secret figures in the ChocoQ Animales series); the adults (yes, both males I know) are by Colorata [on log] (Tropical Rain Forest Stag Beetles) and Kaiyodo (Capsule Q Stag Beetles Collection).

Lastely, we have a Hercules beetle (Dynastes sp.) by Tedco Toys and a mealworm beetle (Tenebrio molitor by Insect Lore.

brontodocus

Great! :) The Tedco life cycle looks especially nice and has even an imago molting from the pupa. :) And the Tedco Dynastes hercules life cycle is just awesome! :o

Jetoar

Your collection of coleoptera are really big  :o.

Hercules beetle

Ive got a gigantic beetle collection, i will post later.

brontodocus

Quote from: Hercules beetle on October 22, 2014, 09:36:12 PM
Ive got a gigantic beetle collection, i will post later.
Figures or dried specimens? Both would be very welcome, of course, but this section is dedicated to figures or other replicas. If you want to show real specimens you could open a thread elsewhere, currently I think the "other toys and collectibles" section would be the most appropriate. If they are figures, replicas, or casts, then the right place is here in this thread. :)

bmathison1972

Here are some weevils. Outside of the Sipalinus gigas by Yujin (illustrated by Andre above), there are very few figures of weevils by major, name brand companies. Every now and then they show up in dollar/dime store bin-style figure.

Below are my generic weevils. There is one emarld weevil (Eupholus sp.) illustrated here by PlayVisions (bottom row, second from left). I also have the large Eupholus produced by K&M for their Wild Republic Insect Bag set, although it's not in this pic.

Weevils in the image include members of Curculionidae, Attelabidae, and Brentidae.