Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Spotted eagle ray (Safari Ltd. - Wild Safari Sealife)  (Read 5481 times)

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
Spotted eagle ray (Safari Ltd. - Wild Safari Sealife)
« on: January 26, 2013, 02:41:15 PM »
This is the figure of Spotted eagle ray ( Aetobatus narinari ) Euphrasén,1790 of Safari Ltd. - Wild Safari Sealife. Total lenght is 120 mm. This figure was released in 1996 and it have been retired but you could buy this figure in Ebay.

Safari Ltd. - Wild Safari Sealife have done good figures but I think that this one of the most beautiful figures of this brand. Proportions and colors are very beautiful and the sculpture is very nice, but the yellow spotts of her back are not accurate. I bought this figure in 1999 in Barcelona (Spain) when I was visiting the aquarium of this city and she is my second figure of Safari Ltd of my collection, after the Komodo Dragon  ^-^.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 03:05:24 PM by Jetoar »
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

loru1588

• View Profile
Re: Spotted eagle ray (Safari Ltd. - Wild Safari Sealife)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 01:49:56 AM »
I sculpted that, but had no input on the paint scheme. I was really hoping they ( Safari ) would have allowed me to do a paint master for this and all the other toys I sculpted masters for.

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 02:46:22 AM »
I sculpted that, but had no input on the paint scheme. I was really hoping they ( Safari ) would have allowed me to do a paint master for this and all the other toys I sculpted masters for.

It's a great figure--I bought two of them back when they came out (well over 15 years ago or so?). Too bad they didn't give you control over the paint though. The real pattern on the ray I swam with (!) was far more striking compared to the kind of random blotches they gave the figure. The brownish base color looks more like A. ocellatus but the squiggly yellow doesn't look like any Aetobatus.

loru1588

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 04:39:30 AM »
They painted it after the Yellow Spotted STING ray Urobatis jamaicensis) not an eagle ray

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 04:45:59 AM »
They painted it after the Yellow Spotted STING ray Urobatis jamaicensis) not an eagle ray

And they didn't really capture that one very well, in my opinion.

So what else did you sculpt for Safari back in the day?

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 09:19:41 AM »
Welcome to the Animal Toy Forum, loru1588 or Dan, if I may say? :) Well, I guess many older Safari Ltd figures share the same problems, excellent sculpts but really bad, sloppy, or just wrong paint jobs. Of course they have improved very much since then. You did an awesome sculpting job on this one (just like on all the others you did and I already thought about repainting some but it's often just too time consuming)! 8)

loru1588

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 03:36:34 PM »

And they didn't really capture that one very well, in my opinion.

So what else did you sculpt for Safari back in the day?
Yes, they missed the boat on the paint scheme.

I sculpted the masters for the Octopus, Sea Lion, the above mentioned ray, Cheetah and cub, Gorilla, Zebra and foal, Panda & cub, Green sea Turtle (they really blew the paint job on that one!), Hippo & baby, also the elephant, lion, Rhino & Hippo for a tube series. Did a set of mini/tube Authentics dinosaurs also.

Hercules beetle

• Anything big and bugs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 11:02:21 PM »
I need it.

widukind

• Andreas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 04:35:25 AM »
Congratulations,  a nice figure :)

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 10:25:11 AM »
Congratulations,  a nice figure :)

Thanks friend  ^-^. It is a really beautiful figure  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

loru1588

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 09:49:40 PM »
Welcome to the Animal Toy Forum, loru1588 or Dan, if I may say? :) Well, I guess many older Safari Ltd figures share the same problems, excellent sculpts but really bad, sloppy, or just wrong paint jobs. Of course they have improved very much since then. You did an awesome sculpting job on this one (just like on all the others you did and I already thought about repainting some but it's often just too time consuming)! 8)

Thanks for having me!! Dan's fine ! LOL!  I don't put my pics on a host site so, if anyone would be so kind , I can email them some pics of my past Safari work and they could post them for me if that's OK?