News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Forum upgrade feedback

Started by AnimalToyForum, May 13, 2022, 04:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimalToyForum

So, now that I've upgraded the forum software to the next major version, please let me know if there's any particular feature or function that you notice is missing.

I'm working on the top banner, and the icons for the individual boards, so they're already on the to do list.

stargatedalek

Will the recently updated topics return on the side banner? That feature would be dearly missed.

AnimalToyForum

The "Recent" topics list in the left side bar? It's there, is it not? It appears for me, at least (see below), so if you don't see it I may have to change the settings.

Screenshot 2022-05-13 at 17.57.32.png

bmathison1972

I wonder if she means the topics with the most visits/posts (that used to be on the right side) - if so, I too find that very helpful

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 13, 2022, 06:07:22 PMI wonder if she means the topics with the most visits/posts (that used to be on the right side) - if so, I too find that very helpful

They should be there too! Do you not see them?

bmathison1972

Quote from: animaltoyforum on May 13, 2022, 06:14:33 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 13, 2022, 06:07:22 PMI wonder if she means the topics with the most visits/posts (that used to be on the right side) - if so, I too find that very helpful

They should be there too! Do you not see them?

No, but maybe it's a cache thing. I'll try again later or when I get home this afternoon

AnimalToyForum

bmathison1972

Quote from: animaltoyforum on May 13, 2022, 08:19:28 PMCould be, let me know @bmathison1972

So, it's visible when I am not logged in, but not visible when I am logged in?!?! I am on my work computer; going home now, I'll check to see what it's like from home

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 13, 2022, 10:20:18 PM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on May 13, 2022, 08:19:28 PMCould be, let me know @bmathison1972

So, it's visible when I am not logged in, but not visible when I am logged in?!?! I am on my work computer; going home now, I'll check to see what it's like from home

Ah, it's almost certainly a permissions setting then, I'll see if I can resolve that now, should be simple enough... I tweaked some things, how about now?

bmathison1972

everything looks fine now from home, both when logged in and not! :)

AnimalToyForum

bmathison1972

One thing that I always like, and you probably have no control over this, is the old ATF's search options. It allowed you to search within a post. For example, if I wanted to see the last time I reviewed Lucanus cervus in my daily Museum post, I could navigate to that thread and search 'Lucanus' and only options for Lucanus within my daily Museum post would come up.
Maybe the Advanced Search option will have something thread specific, but on the old forum, the main search field would only search within whatever level you were in the forum.

AnimalToyForum

The search bar in the top right seems to have that functionality...see screenshot, is this what you mean:

Screenshot 2022-05-14 at 00.44.14.png

stargatedalek

Very bizarre, I indeed meant the recent topics, and they have since become visible!

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 14, 2022, 03:00:51 AMVery bizarre, I indeed meant the recent topics, and they have since become visible!

At least it's working now!

Let me know if anything else has gone awry. By the way, I worked out a way to customise the forum board icons so they're updated now.

bmathison1972

Thanks for the search info, Adam; I'll check it out

Overall I think I like the new forum! :)

bmathison1972

Ooo, I just noticed something else. Images don't automatically resize to a standard size, so some of my pics look very large compared to others. Is there a way to standardize this?

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 14, 2022, 12:12:28 PMOoo, I just noticed something else. Images don't automatically resize to a standard size, so some of my pics look very large compared to others. Is there a way to standardize this?

The images should resize automatically for small screens, and I am able to set a maximum image width/height for large screens. At the moment it is set to 3000px max. I can make this smaller if you prefer? We can test it out.

By the way, I've just added the new background header image. It might take a while to appear as the server cache clears, but it's done! I made a few tweaks to your banner but it is essentially the same.

bmathison1972

When I go to my 'Museum' post on a laptop/desktop monitor, the images look big and of different sizes (I don't crop them at the same level everytime, so the images are not a consistent size). It would be nice if they were a little smaller, but maybe we should see what others think.

AnimalToyForum

I've halved the maximum image size to 1500px. How does that look, any better? Shall I make it smaller still?