News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Restoration of MBA whales

Started by callmejoe3, January 20, 2022, 02:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callmejoe3

If you guys remember, I decided to buy a set of the MBA whales on eBay that were in pretty meager shape. Their paint were all worn down, the sperm whale had chunks of its jaw and flippers missing and there was even dirt in a lot of the folds of these figures. The listing sorta ''spoke'' to me and I chose to take a shot at restoring them. Each whale was thoroughly cleaned, received completely new paintjobs, and had missing parts re-sculpted. Here's how it turned out.

I think I did the best job on the sperm whale when it comes to resembling its original state. I used milliput epoxy putty to flix the tip of the jaw and flipper.
Before (top)/After (bottom)

I chose to go more creative with the Humpback, rather than aiming to make it look 1:1 with its original state

For the gray whale, I went the extra mile and used more epoxy putty to improve upon the existing sculpt. I mainly addressed how emaciated the original looked.

I also added a bottom-lip and tongue not present on the original.

K907

Wow Joe!! These look fantastic!! You gave them life again (the child in me believes they are alive - like Toy Story)  ^-^